Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 4:23 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you give lottery tickets...

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Cr4zyH0rs3.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you give lottery tickets as a present/gift?

Yes [ 31 ]  [51.67%]
No [ 12 ]  [20.00%]
Yes, but I don't feel comfortable [ 5 ]  [8.33%]
No, because if they win, I'll fume [ 6 ]  [10.00%]
I'm not sure [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Maybe..I'll think about it.. [ 2 ]  [3.33%]
Never have, and never will [ 3 ]  [5.00%]
Peanut butter and jelly fish HMMMM! [ 1 ]  [1.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 60 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: May 27, 2007, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I did one time, and then it hit me like a freight train longer than a snake's neck.

I would be fuming if the ticket or scratch-off was a major winner. I don't mind if they win 50....100 or even 500, well maybe not 500, but you know what I mean. But if they won a lot, then I'd hold my breath until they gave me some.

In fact I just realized. There's the answer. Just have them sign a release form, stating you would get a 10% finder's fee...LOL

angelm's avatar - anne
    richmond ky.
    United States
    Member #15877
    May 22, 2005
    8472 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2007, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

I have as a stocking stuffer at Christmas!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10348 Posts
      Posted: May 27, 2007, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

My vote was yes but I want to 'qualify' it.

I'll give scratchers as a gift in a birthday card or something (better chances of hitting than Pick 5 or 6) but only under $10 worth or maybe one $10 scratcher. I figure that if you were to give more than that, since it's so likely those tickets will turn into nothing, a lot of people would just rather have the cash.

pacatack05

There's a guy that my wife and I play Mega Millions with. It took me a long time to convince him that we should both play the same ticket, but I finally did. He has a huge family and hitting with him and forming a trust would be an absolute nightmare. Far better that we each play the same numbers and Mega Millions says the two winning tickets were purchased in the same town.

Consdiering your post above, I would sugest if you do give scratchers as a gift not to pick the ones with a potentially huge prize on it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19824 Posts
        Posted: May 27, 2007, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

I did one time, and then it hit me like a freight train longer than a snake's neck.

I would be fuming if the ticket or scratch-off was a major winner. I don't mind if they win 50....100 or even 500, well maybe not 500, but you know what I mean. But if they won a lot, then I'd hold my breath until they gave me some.

In fact I just realized. There's the answer. Just have them sign a release form, stating you would get a 10% finder's fee...LOL

Some members have said the same thing about posting predictions.  If you think you would be upset if a ticket you gave as a gift won something then give money instead, that way if a winning ticket is bought with your gift you won't feel as bad.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2007, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Some members have said the same thing about posting predictions.  If you think you would be upset if a ticket you gave as a gift won something then give money instead, that way if a winning ticket is bought with your gift you won't feel as bad.

Are you kidding? How dare they buy tickets with my cash present?...LOL That's just not fair.....!

I'd be fuming....LOL

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2007, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

Yes,I have. But only to my sister mostly. That way if she wins anything,I know I'll get some too,haha. Hopefully!

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2007, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I feel we were split up at birth,as twins....LOL

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2007, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

No, most people I know would not consider a lottery ticket to be a nice gift.  There are many things you can buy someone for $10 or $20, depending on the recipient.  Like Pac, I wouldn't want someone to win with the ticket I purchased.  With that attitude, it's best not to give them to other people.  I wouldn't mind buying some for my sister, since I plan to give her a lot of money if I win, but she wouldn't feel comfortable with a lottery ticket.  Some people don't believe in them.

Pac, did you mean to write "sometimes I feel as if I were dropped at birth?"  (sorry, couldn't resist!)

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  31344 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2007, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Yes.  I have and do.  and will.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: May 27, 2007, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

No, most people I know would not consider a lottery ticket to be a nice gift.  There are many things you can buy someone for $10 or $20, depending on the recipient.  Like Pac, I wouldn't want someone to win with the ticket I purchased.  With that attitude, it's best not to give them to other people.  I wouldn't mind buying some for my sister, since I plan to give her a lot of money if I win, but she wouldn't feel comfortable with a lottery ticket.  Some people don't believe in them.

Pac, did you mean to write "sometimes I feel as if I were dropped at birth?"  (sorry, couldn't resist!)

i know you couldn't resist. This is what I live for...Not really...but it sounded good......

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                      Member #14
                      November 9, 2001
                      31344 Posts
                      Posted: May 27, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

I have as a stocking stuffer at Christmas!

oh yes!!!  also good in birthday cards for people who don't need anything.

love to nibble those micey feet.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                        nashville
                        United States
                        Member #49896
                        February 18, 2007
                        1181 Posts
                        Posted: May 27, 2007, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

i voted no because i expect to win on the tickets i purchase...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10348 Posts
                          Posted: May 28, 2007, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Just my $.02 but I thinka very 'polluted' definition of giving is being dispyaed in this thread.

Someone gives someone a scrathcer. It hits, let's say for $1,000.

The giver then surfaces and says, "Where's my cut?" The person receiving it says, "You said the ticket was a gift, no?"

If the person with the ticket voluntarilywants to split the winnings, that's one thing, but to show up with your hand out and expect to be the recipient of your own gift is a bit much.

Just more proof any form of gsmbling should always be a solo endeavor.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: May 28, 2007, 10:57 am - IP Logged

I buy pb tickets and give them away all the time.. Money goes to state... and one of the receivers of the ticket may get lucky..

I went to a wedding Saturday afternoon. I bought 6 single qp and handed them out to different people.. including the groom.

I don't know their numbers.. but apparently it rolled...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: May 28, 2007, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I think Coin Toss makes an excellent point.  I guess it depends on the giver.  It sounds as if EmilyG and tntea have no expectations.  I'm like tnLotto1.  If I buy a ticket, I only buy it because I'm hoping it's a winner. 

This is interesting.  The thought just came to me as I'm writing this.  Let's say you buy a ticket and you are granted a magical moment where you can see the future. You now know for sure that it's a multi-million dollar winner.  Do you still give it away?