Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you give lottery tickets...

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Cr4zyH0rs3.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you give lottery tickets as a present/gift?

Yes [ 31 ]  [51.67%]
No [ 12 ]  [20.00%]
Yes, but I don't feel comfortable [ 5 ]  [8.33%]
No, because if they win, I'll fume [ 6 ]  [10.00%]
I'm not sure [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Maybe..I'll think about it.. [ 2 ]  [3.33%]
Never have, and never will [ 3 ]  [5.00%]
Peanut butter and jelly fish HMMMM! [ 1 ]  [1.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 60 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19824 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2007, 11:33 am - IP Logged

I buy pb tickets and give them away all the time.. Money goes to state... and one of the receivers of the ticket may get lucky..

I went to a wedding Saturday afternoon. I bought 6 single qp and handed them out to different people.. including the groom.

I don't know their numbers.. but apparently it rolled...

That's getting double duty of your lottery tickets because if one of them wins the jackpot, you would expect to share and if not at least it's a gift.

That's almost as slick as giving lottery players numbers to play with the understanding if they win they share or store clerks selling winning lottery tickets and expecting a share because they sold the ticket.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19824 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2007, 11:39 am - IP Logged

I think Coin Toss makes an excellent point.  I guess it depends on the giver.  It sounds as if EmilyG and tntea have no expectations.  I'm like tnLotto1.  If I buy a ticket, I only buy it because I'm hoping it's a winner. 

This is interesting.  The thought just came to me as I'm writing this.  Let's say you buy a ticket and you are granted a magical moment where you can see the future. You now know for sure that it's a multi-million dollar winner.  Do you still give it away? 

Why not make your own magic moment, buy a bunch of lottery tickets, check them and only give away the winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
      FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2007, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I give scratchers to my sons for b-day cards and xmas stocking stuffers.  If they win then I'm happy for them.  A gift is a gift and wanting a portion of your gift back doesn't make sense.  In fact that would not be a gift but a selfish way to combine gift-giving and playing the lottery for yourself.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
        Florida
        United States
        Member #6147
        August 8, 2004
        1396 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2007, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

I do not give scratch offs as gifts, although I do receive them.  I always know that if I win off the ticket that I would give something back to the person that gave me the ticket.

Good Luck!

Stavros

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
          Member #28409
          December 15, 2005
          1198 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2007, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I think they are a great gift for someone who plays alot. I also like receiving them as gifts. I wouldn't give them to someone who wouldn't appreciate it. And I don't think I would be fuming if they won with a ticket I bought them. Well, okay, maybe if they didn't even say "thank you" for it. I don't like scratch offs as gifts. But I think one tucked into a birthday card for my hubby would be sweet.... especially if it was a winner.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
            Member #50124
            February 26, 2007
            601 Posts
            Posted: May 30, 2007, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I just put this to the test, and found that I can't give a stranger a lottery ticket.

I offered someone on a swap board some coupons, and they ended up being fewer than I thought I had.  So to make it up to her I thought about putting a lottery ticket in with them.  But I just couldn't bear the thought of sending off the winning powrball or wildcard, and with a scratch-off she'd have to send it back for me to cash and if it won just a dollar or two (which is very likely) we'd be eating up all the profit in postage.

So I ended up buying a WildCard quickpick, PMing her the numbers for tonight and telling her we'll split anything it wins.

But the thing is, I'm still a bit oogly about this.  The jackpot is 2.3 million which would only leave about $700K after taxes if we split it.  I mean that's alot of money, but $1.4 million would be so much better.  Cool

I used to give family lottery tickets, assuming they'd share with me if they won.  But I can no longer assume that, and I would be really torqued if they won on a ticket I gave them and didn't share, so I just don't give lottery anymore.

fort myers
              United States
              Member #50515
              March 7, 2007
              17 Posts
              Posted: May 30, 2007, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I know someone who gave a mutual friend a 5.00 ticket for her b-day and won 10,000.00, I would have been sick over it if it were me who gave the ticket away so I don't buy tickets for people. I do buy them a cash 3 ticket with their b-day number on it then I can play the same number too.

Coastal Georgia
                United States
                Member #2653
                October 30, 2003
                1866 Posts
                Posted: May 30, 2007, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

I have given them as gifts to people that I know like to play them.

I hope that they DO win, so it will be a MEMORABLE gift...

DD

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                  Member #50124
                  February 26, 2007
                  601 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2007, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Just my $.02 but I thinka very 'polluted' definition of giving is being dispyaed in this thread.

Someone gives someone a scrathcer. It hits, let's say for $1,000.

The giver then surfaces and says, "Where's my cut?" The person receiving it says, "You said the ticket was a gift, no?"

If the person with the ticket voluntarilywants to split the winnings, that's one thing, but to show up with your hand out and expect to be the recipient of your own gift is a bit much.

Just more proof any form of gsmbling should always be a solo endeavor.

The thing is, I'm perfectly willing to give a gift that turns out to be a $10 or $100 or even $1000 gift.  But I don't know anyone or any occasion that's worth a $20 million gift. 

I do agree with you that it's tacky to the extreme to ask for a cut of the jackpot if that's what the giftee should end up winning.  Hopefully the person would offer, but since there's a fair to middlin' chance they won't, I just don't give lottery tickets as gifts anymore.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: May 30, 2007, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

I know someone who gave a mutual friend a 5.00 ticket for her b-day and won 10,000.00, I would have been sick over it if it were me who gave the ticket away so I don't buy tickets for people. I do buy them a cash 3 ticket with their b-day number on it then I can play the same number too.

Right on!

Imagine if they won the jackpot.

United States
                      Member #20470
                      August 18, 2005
                      221 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2007, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

hi, yes i gave 5 tickets away,there were .50 box and all were the same number and they came in. people came up and said thank you, i said you are welcome  like i said before if i won any lottery i would share it with my friends at work. they said they have been told that before but i was the frist one thatever really did that.White Bouncep.s. i just lucky.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31344 Posts
                        Posted: May 30, 2007, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I give scratchers to my sons for b-day cards and xmas stocking stuffers.  If they win then I'm happy for them.  A gift is a gift and wanting a portion of your gift back doesn't make sense.  In fact that would not be a gift but a selfish way to combine gift-giving and playing the lottery for yourself.

10000% right.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                          Member #9519
                          December 10, 2004
                          492 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2007, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I give scratch offs and lottery tickets to my husband as part of his b-day gift, Father's Day and stocking stuffers at Christmas.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                            A long and winding road
                            United States
                            Member #17084
                            June 10, 2005
                            4524 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2007, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

The company I work for gives such as incentive gifts. It promotes excitement for the staff to hear we are each getting five tickets of the newest game. Often someone hits for $100 or a 50$ on a two dollar ticket. We are often grateful that we can use the money as we see fit instead of having it be a pre-tax gifts

such as our bonus checks are....

My family finds it fun to get as stocking stuffers or with a wrapped present.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                              Mcminnville, Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #3013
                              December 13, 2003
                              3047 Posts
                              Posted: May 30, 2007, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

In previous years I have given lottery to family members and they won small prizes.  But I do not give lottery out as gifts any more.  I like to give gift cards to stores or restaurants.-weshar75