Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Long Will It Be Until We Have A Lotto Billionaire ?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 9 years ago by pacattack05.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Westerose
Canada
Member #52915
June 15, 2007
189 Posts
Posted: June 26, 2007, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Those are harsh remarks for someone you don't know.  My experience has been that those kinds of remarks are usually saved for people who have turn down someone request for money but most people feel the same way about giving their money away. 

thank you, this Aston person like many others seem to think that everyone has the same moral obligation as they impose upon themselves and others.

My thing is that I have no moral obligation to help "People" now or when I win the lottery.

My path has been set and I am on that path now without having a large lottery win behind me. I am doing what I dream about doing with a large lottery win already only on a smaller scale and with earned monies. For Aston to compared me to David Edwards is totally unfair. As Edwards tried to justify his excessive spending on "toys" by helping "People" out. Again my concern is not for people. My concern is for the environment, plants, and animals. My concern is creating models where people can make and save money by proecting these things. It's a lifestyle choice my wife and I have chosen. For anyone to think because of a lottery win that I should all of a sudden change that direction and start helping "People" out or that because of a lottery win we would all of a sudden buy 18 300k cars is rediculas.

I would say this Aston peorson is dealing with their own inner demons and telling us what they would do in the event of a large lottery win.

You also make a point about how people don't want to give their money away. I have no problems with the government taxing me and say then spending that money to go over and feed people in the Sudan... none whatsoever.  In fact that is where I think the responsibility lays. I've spent time in the 3rd World and based on that I know it takes intervention to actually get the supplies to the people.

I see no point in donating to prepetual fundraising charities that in reality do no good and just keep collecting funds that aren't helping anyone.  I see no point in donating to environmental charities to some person sitting in an office in the city when I can do those things myself better they they can and actually see the results. I see no point in donating to animal "rights' charities who are collecting monies to spread idealogies and not actually helping any animals out. All of these things I am already involved in doing. I am already working on these things. And I am doing a better job than these so called charities.  I already know where my present money is best served and where future monies are best served. 

So this is to Aston Keep your Greedy little mind off from my money.

To RJOh thank you for pointing out what should be obvious to others however I guess it isn't obvious to them.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Honduras
    Member #20982
    August 29, 2005
    4715 Posts
    Posted: June 26, 2007, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

I'm starting to mix apples and oranges and thats not where I wanted to go.

What I was trying to say, very poorly I might add, is that If a lottery game here in america could award a 390 million prize to someone they must have taken in 780 million dollars to be able to award this amount of prize money to someone. Because I was under the Impression that the winner or winners got 50% of the gross amount and the lottery kept the other 50%.

So if 780 million could be raised by a few states and not all of the states, Doesn't it seem plausible that if you add all the other states into the Equation that coming up with 2 Billion is not that much of a stretch.

I could be 100% wrong on this subject but thats why I asked the question to have you all share your views and show me where I'm going wrong. this, after all, is just a "what If" question that I wanted to explore.

I think if they raise the prize of each ticket from 1 dollar to 2 dollars, each year the jackpot will reach around 750 million and if they raise the ticket to 3 dollars it will definately reach to 1 billion dollars once a year....I champion the idea that they should raise the ticket from 1 dollar to at least 2 or 3 dollars....Some people may disagree with me...If they were to merge MM & PB and keep the price of each ticket to 1 dollar i say the jackpot will reach 1 billion dollars every 4 or 5 months....This is how i see it...Right now the jackpot for MM is starting at 12 million...I you were to merge PB with it, i think the starting jackpot will be 24 million...And if you were to raise the price of the ticket to 2 dollars the starting jackpot will be double 24 millions or 48 millions....Can you imagine 48 million as "Starting Jackpot"? in 2 drawings Theoretically speaking it should be almost 100 million...And in 10 drawings (theoretically in 1 month and 2 weeks) almost 1 billion dollars...And if you add all the states except Alaska you should/can add 300 million to those 1 billion dollars....And if you allow where people from all over the world can play this U.S.A's National Lottery on the internet, i say you can add another 100 million dollars to those....What i like the most about a U.S lottery jackpot been really, really high is that they will be making movies about it, it will be the biggest thing and they will talk about it on the movies more than robbing banks..Increasing the matrix i feel it will be too harsh, kind of like a harsh punishment...

If they don't increase the price of the ticket now they will eventually have to because of time...If you notice stuff don't cost the same as they did in the early 80's or late 70's...I say give them 20 years and they will increase the price of the ticket...I am not in favor of increase the matrix...They should do this in Italy & Greece, Spain & France...

I think this is something to think about...

"For the glory of Rome"

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

There was a time when only the superrich had $1 Million or more. Those days are gone. Saying a $1 Billion jackpot will never happen(as long as the lottery stays in existance), would not be realistic. It could very happen, it just might be 50 or more years before it does. Of course $1 Billion won't be considered as much as it is now. It'll still be a lot of money though.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Brazil
        Member #51781
        April 24, 2007
        384 Posts
        Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

I am favorable to a increment in the matrix , only if it would be possible to use full combinations for the tickets . There is no need to increase the value of the lottery tickets. Italy already has SuperEnalotto that feature a 6/90 matrix.  Full combinations are useful in several countries like Australia , Brasil and Canada ...

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: June 26, 2007, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

I think if they raise the prize of each ticket from 1 dollar to 2 dollars, each year the jackpot will reach around 750 million and if they raise the ticket to 3 dollars it will definately reach to 1 billion dollars once a year....I champion the idea that they should raise the ticket from 1 dollar to at least 2 or 3 dollars....Some people may disagree with me...If they were to merge MM & PB and keep the price of each ticket to 1 dollar i say the jackpot will reach 1 billion dollars every 4 or 5 months....This is how i see it...Right now the jackpot for MM is starting at 12 million...I you were to merge PB with it, i think the starting jackpot will be 24 million...And if you were to raise the price of the ticket to 2 dollars the starting jackpot will be double 24 millions or 48 millions....Can you imagine 48 million as "Starting Jackpot"? in 2 drawings Theoretically speaking it should be almost 100 million...And in 10 drawings (theoretically in 1 month and 2 weeks) almost 1 billion dollars...And if you add all the states except Alaska you should/can add 300 million to those 1 billion dollars....And if you allow where people from all over the world can play this U.S.A's National Lottery on the internet, i say you can add another 100 million dollars to those....What i like the most about a U.S lottery jackpot been really, really high is that they will be making movies about it, it will be the biggest thing and they will talk about it on the movies more than robbing banks..Increasing the matrix i feel it will be too harsh, kind of like a harsh punishment...

If they don't increase the price of the ticket now they will eventually have to because of time...If you notice stuff don't cost the same as they did in the early 80's or late 70's...I say give them 20 years and they will increase the price of the ticket...I am not in favor of increase the matrix...They should do this in Italy & Greece, Spain & France...

"For the glory of Rome"

I also favor the idea of creating a Powerball style lottery (for the U.S and every country) that will cost 25 cents and whose jackpot will be 25% of the starting jackpot of 12 or 10 million dollars...I'll be glad if the Powerball lottery that cost 25 cents will pay 3 million dollars...This 25 cents Powerball should be the same matrix as existing Powerball right now...So there should be 2 powerballs, one that cost 25 cents and another that cost 2 dollars in most countries....

"For the glory of Rome...."

USA
            United States
            Member #23846
            October 17, 2005
            22 Posts
            Posted: June 26, 2007, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Manzplan and RJOh, "a wise man once say if you can count your deed in this life than you have NOT done enough.  Does this sound familar to you two? 

USA
              United States
              Member #23846
              October 17, 2005
              22 Posts
              Posted: June 26, 2007, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

manzplan, 

And the only person up here who is fighting their inner demon is you because greed has become such a great part of your life you want to win a billion dollars.  Talk about greed, it definitely has no dept in human being.

A wiseman once says, if you could count your deeds this lifetime, than you have NOT done enough.  Does  this remind you of someone?  What I do to help the mother earth is or the less fortunate is a secret.  I don't have to on the website and proclaim to world's what you would do if you win, when you Did NOT win yet.  Saying is than doing my friends......oh yeah you too Rjoh whatever name is.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                Member #24380
                October 21, 2005
                623 Posts
                Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:07 am - IP Logged

A National Lottery will do it!  Maybe even a GLOBAL Lottery.  Yeah, that would definitely do it.Hat

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1953 Posts
                  Posted: June 27, 2007, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Well, maybe not a global lottery. Maybe an international lottery though.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Westerose
                    Canada
                    Member #52915
                    June 15, 2007
                    189 Posts
                    Posted: June 28, 2007, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

manzplan, 

And the only person up here who is fighting their inner demon is you because greed has become such a great part of your life you want to win a billion dollars.  Talk about greed, it definitely has no dept in human being.

A wiseman once says, if you could count your deeds this lifetime, than you have NOT done enough.  Does  this remind you of someone?  What I do to help the mother earth is or the less fortunate is a secret.  I don't have to on the website and proclaim to world's what you would do if you win, when you Did NOT win yet.  Saying is than doing my friends......oh yeah you too Rjoh whatever name is.

In the first place. What I would want to win is only about 40 Million at the top range and about 15 Million at the bottom end for the plans my wife and I have. However that being said the bottom range is something that is within our means regardless of a lottery win over the next 10 years. Spending a couple dollars a week on that chance is really no big thing to us. We're not those type of people who drop $100 on lottery tickets when it gets big even though we could.

However if there was a 1 Billion Dollar Lottery we would play our couple tickets and hope that we were the only winners.

So maybe that is greedy. What would I do with a Billion Dollars. I would buy up alot of land and keep it natural. Sure someone else could buy up land and keep it natural however I would like to have that control over land in our particular area. Buy it and not let it be developed. As alot of land in this area is being too developed because it is near a couple of lakes. So far people haven't build up around the lake we live buy because we all have a strong environmental viewpoint. However some of my nighbours are older and I fear their kids or grandkids won't share those views and develope the land for profit.

So you might think that it's greedy for one person to want to win a Billion dollars. I don't think so. Even if I wasn't the person who won the first Billion Dollar lottery I would like to see a single winner win it. A single winner with a vision that would do great things with it. Be it for the environment or making films or anything beyond just giving out handouts and what not that basically like it or not does fullfill a greed based impluse in humans.

You might ask how can giving away money be a greed based impluse in humans? Very easy to answer. People can become addicted to giving to others. People like that feeling that giving to others gives them. People can get prideful about giving to others.

You brought up David Edwards before. In his TLC interview he showed this very well. "I just float out of a room when I do stuff like that." "You really get a kick out of doing stuff like that." Both in reference to giving money to those "less fortunate".

As far as saying what I would do if I won this or that amount. Those questions have been posed on this and other lottery forums. Difference with me is I made a realistic list up with prices included and prices on the high side. My reason for doing so is so that other people can see just exactly how much their dreams would cost them to do if they follow my lead and make their own list. Also for my own sake to see that my dreams are within my grasp regardless of a lottery win.

And BTW I haven't counted all I have done in my lifetime nor have even begun to on here or anywhere. I simply related what I want to do in the future. Future is different than the past.

No greed here buddy I just understand how much things cost. I just understand that alot pry over 70% of organized Charities are frauds that play with the loopholes and prepetually fundraise whilst not actually doing a damn thing for the cause they say they will help. My immdiate family isn't large and I could careless about cousins and such that never bother with me because of their greed in some cases and in other cases because we don't see eye to eye idealogically. They don't call me now and it's not greed to not want them calling if I have a windfall of any sort.

Just because someone would rather win 40 Million or even a Billion Dollars and only win that amount once doesn't mean they are greedy. Actually people who want to win 500, 5000, or 50000 over and over playing the smaller games are alot more greedier in my opinion.

I win 40 Million Jackpot and I will stand aside and let someone else win  until there is a Billion Dollar Lottery..... I win that and I would stand aside and let others win the next one and not even play....  cos I think a Trillion dollar lottery is far far off.  Actually if I had already won the 40 Million I might not play for the Billion Dollar one when it comes along either.

geesh I only play maybe 75 to 100 a year on lottery if that....  a greedy person would wager far more to get their piece of the pie...

okay your turn ;)

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Sunny California
                      United States
                      Member #40295
                      May 31, 2006
                      7712 Posts
                      Posted: June 28, 2007, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Fireworks Brighten up your dear ones' Fourth of July with these sparkling ecards. [ 16 cards ]        Guess it's never too early for fireworks on the LP!

Westerose
                        Canada
                        Member #52915
                        June 15, 2007
                        189 Posts
                        Posted: June 29, 2007, 12:14 am - IP Logged

btw Aston I would like to see you win enough where you could live your dreams out as well. I would like to see everyone do that.

Thing is that I just wish people could be realistic at how much their dreams will cost. I wish for people who do win huge jackpots or small jackpots that their families, friends, and the world would be realistic at the amount those winners won. Realistic about how far exactly that money will go.

Some are sure but there are so many cases where people win even small amounts and everyone in their circle of family and friends think that will change their lives as well. It's just not gonna happen in many cases.

You brought up David Edwards. That boy thought he could help everyone out and still live out all these wild dreams. I feel sad for him I really do. Poor guy actually thought he could spend and spend and give and give and still get 18500 a day in interest. Well that was not the reality. Now he's in a home and can not walk. Was he stupid with is money? Yes he was. Was he greedy with his money? Well that depends on which day you were taking a snapshot of his life. That boy was generous to a fault.

Jack Whittakar as well was generous to a fault. He did alot of really weird things and got into alot of trouble as well. But remember he gave and gave and gave.

Thing is with winning the lottery or any huge windfall. You can either be viewed as being greedy and holding onto the money for you and your immeadiate family for now..... or be viewed as generous when you are giving and giving away to others..... then when the money is gone you will be viewed as stupid.

People will say how could that person have blown all that money. With the lottery it is pretty much clear cut if you mess up people are gonna really tear into you and most will forget what you did to help others.

With the exception of the lottery winner from England Micheal Carroll I really feel sorry for these people who won millions and blew it all. Difference with Carroll is he was a bit of a smelly bum about it.  Others just got caught up in the drama about it with good intentions and got burned only to have the same sort of people who would call them greedy if they hung onto their winnings call them stupid because they went through their winnings partly by giving to anyone with a need who asked for it.

Simply the expectations that everyone has of what it means to win a Million dollars of the winner of a Million dollars would take a Billion dollars to fullfill......    I am quite sure when there is a Billion dollar lottery that the expectations placed on the winner of a Billion Dollar Jackpot would take 500 Billion to fullfill.

When Billion dollar jackpots start to happen I am sure there will be those who will blow through a Billion dollars as well.

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: June 29, 2007, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

"For the glory of Rome"

I made a mistake....I previously said:  

"And in 10 drawings (theoretically in 1 month and 2 weeks) almost 1 billion dollars...And if you add all the states except Alaska you should/can add 300 million to those 1 billion dollars....And if you allow where people from all over the world can play this U.S.A's National Lottery on the internet, i say you can add another 100 million dollars to those...."

what i meant to say is that: Not in 10 drawings but in 20 drawings (theoretically in 3 months) the jackpot will reach 1 billion dollars....And if you add all the states that are not currenly included except Alaska you should/can add another 12 million dollars making it instead of 48 million starting jackpot it will be 60 million dollars, and if you add or allow people from all over the world to play this U.S.A's National Lottery on the internet, i saw you can add another 20 million dollars to the 60 million dollars making it 80 million dollars as a starting jackpot...So theoretically in 12 drawings ( 1 month and 2 weeks) the jackpot will reach 1 Billion dollars...Not counting the times the sales really mushroom/skyrocket which can add another 30 million to those 1 billion dollars (to be on the safe side)....

"For the glory of Rome"

Brazil
                            Member #51781
                            April 24, 2007
                            384 Posts
                            Posted: June 29, 2007, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I am not sure , Is one billion (per year) much money?

The Brazilian govern need to replace some games for support the Football teams.Since there is no more houses of Bingo and electronic Keno in the states ,  there will be another type of game for all states, not only the ones that supported the Football (Soccer) game.

To bad that this will not be a "One Billion Lottery game" ...

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: June 29, 2007, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

A billion years.