Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Just curious, but does anybody know...

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 years ago by ArtVandalay.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
Arizona
United States
Member #52803
June 10, 2007
88 Posts
Posted: June 17, 2007, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

I took over management of the lottery pool where I work. Whenever the Powerball Jackpot got above $70 million, most of us would throw in $5.00 each for a total of about $50.00. The guy who use to run the pool would just buy a bunch of quick picks, that is untill I showed them how to win at least $3.00 with a minimum of only $42.00, guaranteed. How many people know this trick, or is this too elemental? You'd be surprised at just how many people don't know.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2007, 1:36 am - IP Logged

Enlighten us.

I have my theories that will do that, but for some reason, to me, 42 to get 3 isn't good enough odds. Neither is 3 to get 7.

My absolute limit is $10/drawing. 

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3114 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2007, 2:17 am - IP Logged

I took over management of the lottery pool where I work. Whenever the Powerball Jackpot got above $70 million, most of us would throw in $5.00 each for a total of about $50.00. The guy who use to run the pool would just buy a bunch of quick picks, that is untill I showed them how to win at least $3.00 with a minimum of only $42.00, guaranteed. How many people know this trick, or is this too elemental? You'd be surprised at just how many people don't know.

In my opinion it's a trick Powerball plays on players to make the pot bigger.  By giving a $3.00 prize for getting only the Powerball correct they sucker thousands of players into buying 42 plays.  This makes it harder to win a jackpot because this guarantees you will have only one 5 number line with the Powerball.  Optimal would be to play each Powerball against all the numbers, failing that budget breaker select the most likely Powerballs such as the three longest out and play all the numbers against those in the minimum number of lines.  If you're doing exactly what the lottery wants you to do, you're doing it wrong.

BobP

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2007, 2:46 am - IP Logged

Excellent post, BobP

Art VanDalay

"...that is untill I showed them how to win at least $3.00 with a minimum of only $42.00, guaranteed...."

Anyone who would willingly and consistently shell out $42 to 'win' $3 will be gladly welcome in any kind of game, anywhere.

I'm kind of surprised you thought people here wouldn't know you were talking about covering all the Powerballs. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23349 Posts
          Posted: June 18, 2007, 6:49 am - IP Logged

In my opinion it's a trick Powerball plays on players to make the pot bigger.  By giving a $3.00 prize for getting only the Powerball correct they sucker thousands of players into buying 42 plays.  This makes it harder to win a jackpot because this guarantees you will have only one 5 number line with the Powerball.  Optimal would be to play each Powerball against all the numbers, failing that budget breaker select the most likely Powerballs such as the three longest out and play all the numbers against those in the minimum number of lines.  If you're doing exactly what the lottery wants you to do, you're doing it wrong.

BobP

I don't think it statistically makes it harder to win the jackpot.

We also have not addressed the first five numbers, and buying 42 tickets is a great opportunity to play a good Pick 5 wheel that incorporates all the white numbers.  I have talked about these wheels before, and I have personally had very good luck with them.  When I play a large set of tickets, I always play every Powerball/ Mega Ball, and the five numbers are wheeled.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19901 Posts
            Posted: June 18, 2007, 9:52 am - IP Logged

If I played 42 lines with all the powerballs, I would expect to do better than just the minimum $3 prize since the overall odds of winning a prize are 1:37.  Playing that many lines and covering all the powerballs might make some feel more comfortable about gambling that much on a lottery but not me.

The last time MegaMillions jackpot was over $200M, I played 60 lines and thought about playing all 46 megaballs for a guaranteed $2 prize but opted instead to play what I thought were the 15 most likely megaballs to hit four times.  I didn't hit the megaball but I did get a 4+0 for $150.  When I gamble that kind of money on a lottery, winning $2 and winning nothing feels almost the same to me.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5587 Posts
              Posted: June 18, 2007, 10:01 am - IP Logged

I don't think it statistically makes it harder to win the jackpot.

We also have not addressed the first five numbers, and buying 42 tickets is a great opportunity to play a good Pick 5 wheel that incorporates all the white numbers.  I have talked about these wheels before, and I have personally had very good luck with them.  When I play a large set of tickets, I always play every Powerball/ Mega Ball, and the five numbers are wheeled.

Wheels are good. I'll do the wheels and keep the same PBall, Mball on all lines. Like RJ says the 5 Wbs. are the money.

42 for a 3 is not really a great bet.   

ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
                Arizona
                United States
                Member #52803
                June 10, 2007
                88 Posts
                Posted: June 18, 2007, 11:42 am - IP Logged

It's really a very simple "trick". Both the Powerball and the MegaMillions are two part lotteries, one part being chosing 5 "white balls" and the other part chosing a single multiplier "red" ball. On the Powerball ticket slips, I would play each of the Powerball numbers (1-42) once while chosing the quick pick option for the corresponding white balls. Any extra tickets purchased were entirely quick picks, both white and red balls. This ensures that the Powerball will be hit at least once, guaranteeing at least a $3.00 win. Of course critics of this system say that you're also guaranteeing at least 41 losing tickets (in-as-far-as the jackpot goes). But I've found that people in general actually prefer this system rather than just buying all quick picks.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                  Member #28409
                  December 15, 2005
                  1198 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2007, 11:54 am - IP Logged

It's really a very simple "trick". Both the Powerball and the MegaMillions are two part lotteries, one part being chosing 5 "white balls" and the other part chosing a single multiplier "red" ball. On the Powerball ticket slips, I would play each of the Powerball numbers (1-42) once while chosing the quick pick option for the corresponding white balls. Any extra tickets purchased were entirely quick picks, both white and red balls. This ensures that the Powerball will be hit at least once, guaranteeing at least a $3.00 win. Of course critics of this system say that you're also guaranteeing at least 41 losing tickets (in-as-far-as the jackpot goes). But I've found that people in general actually prefer this system rather than just buying all quick picks.

If I was in your pool, I probably would too. But, I don't have the 42 bucks to shell out every draw, so, I put a limit on it and guess the best I can.   There are no pools around me that I am aware of for me to join.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: June 18, 2007, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

ArtVanDalay

"This ensures that the Powerball will be hit at least once, guaranteeing at least a $3.00 win.  "

To each his own, but in my book  - $42 and + $3 are hardly a 'win', let alone a 'guaranteed win''.

In gambling jargon, such an apporach is known as an "economic suicide" system given enough consecutive losses, which are bound to happen.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Coastal Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #2653
                      October 30, 2003
                      1866 Posts
                      Posted: June 18, 2007, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Art: Sounds like there are 10 people in your pool...

If I were in it I would tend to agree with Coin Toss. - $10 and +$3 = loss of $7, unless of course there are some other matches somewhere within the 50 tickets.

How long have you been pooling and what is your biggest win so far ?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1958 Posts
                        Posted: June 18, 2007, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't do that. The chance of getting the PowerBall right is 1/42. The chance of getting all 5 white balls right is 1/3,478,761. When playing PowerBall, I'm more worried about getting the white balls right than the PowerBall.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10392 Posts
                          Posted: June 18, 2007, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

Art: Sounds like there are 10 people in your pool...

If I were in it I would tend to agree with Coin Toss. - $10 and +$3 = loss of $7, unless of course there are some other matches somewhere within the 50 tickets.

How long have you been pooling and what is your biggest win so far ?

DD

Good question about the length of time pooling and the bigggest win.

Let's take ths guaranteed + $3 for the Powerball a wee bit further.

Let's say there are 10 people in the pool. One ticket has the Powerball number and the guaranteed $3 win comes in. But the pool is splitting the $3, not one person. So the now the guaranteed $3 win is $.30 per person.

Sorry ArtVanDalay, but this guaranteed $3 win is something I'd expect to read in a sales letter from a not so reputable system seller.

Of course a lot of this has to do with how much somebody makes and how much of what they make they're willing to throw at lotto.

People trying things like this run into buzz saws playing 21 and roulette, let alone a lotto game with astronomical odds.  

YMMV

(Your mileage may vary) 

Lep

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                            Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5587 Posts
                            Posted: June 18, 2007, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

I tend to think that "pool players" don't have the time to mess with picking WBS but can in a way feel some satisfaction in "beating the game at its own game".  I guess what I am trying to say it is some form of hybrid QP with intervention like having some effect on the outcome.  Like being a little in control avoiding a complete loss.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23349 Posts
                              Posted: June 18, 2007, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

If I played 42 lines with all the powerballs, I would expect to do better than just the minimum $3 prize since the overall odds of winning a prize are 1:37.  Playing that many lines and covering all the powerballs might make some feel more comfortable about gambling that much on a lottery but not me.

The last time MegaMillions jackpot was over $200M, I played 60 lines and thought about playing all 46 megaballs for a guaranteed $2 prize but opted instead to play what I thought were the 15 most likely megaballs to hit four times.  I didn't hit the megaball but I did get a 4+0 for $150.  When I gamble that kind of money on a lottery, winning $2 and winning nothing feels almost the same to me.

Well, I can't say I agree, because if you're guaranteed to win $3.00, that's like having a coupon for $3.00 off your lottery purchase -- with exactly the same odds of winning any prize, including the jackpot.  That's $39.00 for 42 tickets.  If the lottery ran that as a promotion, many people would go running for it.  Meanwhile, all they need to do is play every Powerball.

For those who are tempted to think I am proposing playing for that $3.00, you're barking up the wrong tree.  I said before that I wheel the first five numbers like a Pick 5 game.  And that's how you should always play a 5+1 game.  Don't go nuts trying to predict the Powerball, because as one number drawn from it's own drum, that's just random chance.

So if you get that 4+0, both of us would have exactly the same odds of adding the Powerball for a 4+1 win -- you playing the same single number for all lines, and me playing a different Powerball on every line.  The difference is that I'm also guaranteed to get another $3.00 prize, and anyone who sticks to a lottery budget knows that the smaller prizes do matter.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                              Help eliminate computerized drawings!