Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Just curious, but does anybody know...

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 9 years ago by ArtVandalay.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19828 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2007, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, covering all the bonus balls in a PowerBall or MegaMillions game might make some players more comfortable when gambling enough to do so but everyone is different. 

Normally I don't play sixty lines for a lottery drawing but the chance to play for a $200M+ jackpot doesn't come along that often either.  I usually play 10-15 lines when the jackpot is decent, but for fun I'm always trying different things on paper and on the prediction board so when a large jackpot comes along I got an idea that I've tested and I'm ready to put some money on it, at that point I don't second guess myself.

I've tested covering all the bonus numbers and not covering them and over time the number of small wins have been the same, I've never been able to beat the odds either way.  When I covered 15 megaballs instead of 46 I was giving up a sure chance of winning $2 for a chance of winning $8 plus having better odds of matching a bonus ball with the other numbers if I was lucky.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
    Arizona
    United States
    Member #52803
    June 10, 2007
    88 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2007, 10:50 am - IP Logged

It's hard to believe how many people have misunderstood and/or misinterpreted my posts. First of all, this system guarantees AT LEAST a $3.00 win, not just a $3.00 win. And I have won more than just $3.00 per draw using this system. And I don't play the same number each time with a different powerball. I play a Quick Pick of the white balls with each Powerball. And the lottery pool that I manage has 8 to 10 people in it with each throwing in $5.00 each. Any extra tickets over the first 42 are pure quick picks, both white and red balls.

The funny aspect of this system is that the people in the lottery pool can get complacent with winning only $3.00 per draw. And when this happens, I say,"Let somebody else buy the tickets, maybe they'll have better luck." Then somebody else does go out and buys the tickets, all quick picks, and wins absolutely nothing. So then the next time around (if the jackpot rolls over), they come back to me and my system.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5583 Posts
      Posted: June 19, 2007, 11:16 am - IP Logged

For reference sake: "just curious but does anybody know...."

Your first post:

"I took over management of the lottery pool where I work. Whenever the Powerball Jackpot got above $70 million, most of us would throw in $5.00 each for a total of about $50.00. The guy who use to run the pool would just buy a bunch of quick picks, that is untill I showed them how to win at least $3.00 with a minimum of only $42.00, guaranteed. How many people know this trick, or is this too elemental? You'd be surprised at just how many people don't know."

OK. We are just discussing the TRICK.  We are throwing around ideas on how the trick is tricky in its elemental form and whether or not it is a good bet, seeing how it is a trick.

It is an open ended post, open to interpetation as to what you are asking. I believe most people here know and understand the trick.

Now if you are asking "should I be running the pool?" I say you are the most qualified.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49767 Posts
        Posted: June 19, 2007, 11:30 am - IP Logged

It's hard to believe how many people have misunderstood and/or misinterpreted my posts. First of all, this system guarantees AT LEAST a $3.00 win, not just a $3.00 win. And I have won more than just $3.00 per draw using this system. And I don't play the same number each time with a different powerball. I play a Quick Pick of the white balls with each Powerball. And the lottery pool that I manage has 8 to 10 people in it with each throwing in $5.00 each. Any extra tickets over the first 42 are pure quick picks, both white and red balls.

The funny aspect of this system is that the people in the lottery pool can get complacent with winning only $3.00 per draw. And when this happens, I say,"Let somebody else buy the tickets, maybe they'll have better luck." Then somebody else does go out and buys the tickets, all quick picks, and wins absolutely nothing. So then the next time around (if the jackpot rolls over), they come back to me and my system.

It all depends on your point of view:

Most people here are playing with their own money, not other peoples money!

How many times has you system equaled or exceeded the $50 wagered?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2007, 11:41 am - IP Logged

I think most people understand what you're saying but for MegaMillions players, a guaranteed $2 win for $46 doesn't look at good as a guaranteed $3 win for $42 does to PowerBall players so your system doesn't have universal appeal.

I live in a MegaMillions state so I usually limit my playing to no more than 20 lines.  I usually  play 20 bonus balls and I hit one 50% of the time so when I have a chance to double up, I prefer to play 20 bonus balls twice rather than play all 46 bonus balls once.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2007, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

Then somebody else does go out and buys the tickets, all quick picks, and wins absolutely nothing. So then the next time around (if the jackpot rolls over), they come back to me and my system.

Until someone in the group (or you) comes up with a better way to pick numbers besides quick picks then I think your "system" is just fine. It's a start anyway, and if you are winning more your way then their way, even if it's only $3.00, then HEY! More power to you! 3 bucks is better then nothing. I wish I had even won 3 bucks PERIOD playing MM so I gave up on that game.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10351 Posts
              Posted: June 19, 2007, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

ArtVanDalay

Let's rephrase this say that by having played all the Powerball numbers you can guarantee that one of the tickets and that the pool will see a return of at least $3. 

The one line of numbers that has the Powerball number may have 0 matching numbers from the top matrix or all 5 matching numbers from the top of the matrix.

But unless more $ comes back than what was spent, it is not a win.

This is why video poker is called "electronic morphine" - people put $1.25 or $5.00 in a machine, get a pair opf Jacks, and the machine credits them with $1.25 or $5 - and they say, "I won! I won!" 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
                Arizona
                United States
                Member #52803
                June 10, 2007
                88 Posts
                Posted: June 20, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I guess one other thing that I really should mention is that the (10) people in the lottery pool that I mention really don't want me to change (any more) the way tickets are bought. They allow me to use my system because they can at least understand my system. Anything that they couldn't understand, they don't want to use. (And believe me, some of the people in the lottery pool are complete idiots!)