Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Feedup? Contact your state lottery

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #48799
January 9, 2007
4 Posts
Posted: June 20, 2007, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

As a rule I am not an activist and generally keep my opinions to myself but, according to the article I just read, it appears that the Texas Lottery is having money woes and there are still plans for ‘’privatizing’’ it.
Digging a bit deeper, this appears to be a trend in that other states have already done it and others are considering it.
The reason given in each case is falling revenues from their prospective lotteries.

I am in Texas and at one time ours was, not bragging, one of the richest in the US.
Why?
Big prizes and low odds.

Over the years they began to get greedy.
"We can make more money if we raise the odds", says they.
True... they made more money per unit but the number of units they sold dropped at a disproportionate rate, in turn profits dropped further.

I used to play the Lotto Texas. Five tickets, twice each week.
When they added 5 new balls that raised the odds from 13m to 1 to 25m to 1. they lost me and probably many thousands of others.
Now I buy a couple of Quik Picks for the Two Step each week.
Net loss to the state $8.00 per week, times 52 weeks in the year, times ever how many others that did the same.

The people who run the state lotteries need a serious wake-up call.
We, the lottery playing public, are not stupid.
We can calculate the odds.
We might put down a few bucks on a 15 million Jackpot if the odds are 1 in 13M but not when the odds are 25M to 1.

Its about time lotteries took the hint.
If you want to sell more widgets, you don't raise the price, which is what they do every time the raise the odds.

To make it even worse, if they privatize a lottery, they are just adding more hands pulling their profits from the pot, which leaves less for us.

If you’re tired of high odds and low payoffs, let your state lottery know.
Lower the odds
Better second and third tier prizes.
That's the formula for putting the lottery back on track.

Just my 2-cents worth

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: June 20, 2007, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

Feedup? I'm not really interested in inviting my lottery director to dinner, thank you.

(insert signature here)

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: June 20, 2007, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

Feedup? I'm not really interested in inviting my lottery director to dinner, thank you.

LOL, I think what he really meant was that Fedex and Ups were merging. Their new name is Fedup....LOL

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: June 20, 2007, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

tNewman

There have been similar discussions here before. The best way of 'contacting' a state lottery (re: a specific game) is to have enough people not play the game in question.

But the lottery knows "if you offer it they will play", to paraphrase Field of Dreams.  

People need to remember that while the lotteries need players to have a business, the 'raison d'etre' for the lottries is to make money.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #48799
          January 9, 2007
          4 Posts
          Posted: June 20, 2007, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

tNewman

There have been similar discussions here before. The best way of 'contacting' a state lottery (re: a specific game) is to have enough people not play the game in question.

But the lottery knows "if you offer it they will play", to paraphrase Field of Dreams.  

People need to remember that while the lotteries need players to have a business, the 'raison d'etre' for the lottries is to make money.

Hate to disagree with you coin toss.
          The people running our lotteries are not the brightest bulbs on the block.

A normal business person will start to do a bit of questioning if their sales fall off.
          The first one is always “Are my prices competitive?”.

The ‘’lotto bosses’’ either don’t take the time or do not have the intelligence to question why revenues are down.
          Their reaction to falling revenues is always, without exception, raising the odds or starting a new game.

Nope, the only thing that gets these peoples attention is a barrage of mail and phone calls saying enough is enough.
          A good, load, ‘’I’m not buying lottery tickets because of any reason except the fact that the prizes are to low and the odds are too high.’’ is going to be the only thing that works
          A fast email takes just a second and it can’t hurt.

They are our lotteries… lets take them back.

But… that’s just my 2-cents worth.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5146 Posts
            Posted: June 21, 2007, 12:47 am - IP Logged

LOL, I think what he really meant was that Fedex and Ups were merging. Their new name is Fedup....LOL

"U" ...GOT-IT!!!

(TIEODA) and when the car companie's and the oil companie's

and the mexican oil & the mexican's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THEY WILL GO AFTER CANADA TOO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MEARGE ..............TOO!

(SKEW the LOTTERIES<<<<<<BIGGER FISH CATCHING.....YOY)

Sorry BOUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>THAT.........PSYKOMO is "CRAZY"

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WIN the JACKPOT>>>>>SOON!!! 

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - rsz 1franklinmillion-front.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11339 Posts
              Posted: June 21, 2007, 1:06 am - IP Logged

As a rule I am not an activist and generally keep my opinions to myself but, according to the article I just read, it appears that the Texas Lottery is having money woes and there are still plans for ‘’privatizing’’ it.
              Digging a bit deeper, this appears to be a trend in that other states have already done it and others are considering it.
              The reason given in each case is falling revenues from their prospective lotteries.

I am in Texas and at one time ours was, not bragging, one of the richest in the US.
              Why?
              Big prizes and low odds.

Over the years they began to get greedy.
              "We can make more money if we raise the odds", says they.
              True... they made more money per unit but the number of units they sold dropped at a disproportionate rate, in turn profits dropped further.

I used to play the Lotto Texas. Five tickets, twice each week.
              When they added 5 new balls that raised the odds from 13m to 1 to 25m to 1. they lost me and probably many thousands of others.
              Now I buy a couple of Quik Picks for the Two Step each week.
              Net loss to the state $8.00 per week, times 52 weeks in the year, times ever how many others that did the same.

The people who run the state lotteries need a serious wake-up call.
              We, the lottery playing public, are not stupid.
              We can calculate the odds.
              We might put down a few bucks on a 15 million Jackpot if the odds are 1 in 13M but not when the odds are 25M to 1.

Its about time lotteries took the hint.
              If you want to sell more widgets, you don't raise the price, which is what they do every time the raise the odds.

To make it even worse, if they privatize a lottery, they are just adding more hands pulling their profits from the pot, which leaves less for us.

If you’re tired of high odds and low payoffs, let your state lottery know.
              Lower the odds
              Better second and third tier prizes.
              That's the formula for putting the lottery back on track.

Just my 2-cents worth

while your at it find out why they don't have a pick 4.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19903 Posts
                Posted: June 21, 2007, 2:15 am - IP Logged

"If you’re tired of high odds and low payoffs, let your state lottery know."

The state know if players like a game or not by the number of tickets sold.  When Ohioans didn't buy Lot'O Play tickets, the state got rid of the game.

If you are buying lottery tickets and complaining about the odds and the low payouts, the state doesn't a problem, you do.  The state only has a problem when it can't sell any tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5146 Posts
                  Posted: June 21, 2007, 4:02 am - IP Logged

The state know if players like a game or not by the number of tickets sold.  When Ohioans didn't buy Lot'O Play tickets, the state got rid of the game.

If you are buying lottery tickets and complaining about the odds and the low payouts, the state doesn't a problem, you do.  The state only has a problem when it can't sell any tickets.

THANKsssssssssss>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RJOH::::::::

JUST vote to chech the bober's tooooooooooooooo  noff & souff

and calieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee   TOOOOOO

don't forget<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< otter states

they>>>>>PLAY the LOTTERY 22222222222222222  JACKPOT!!!

HOPE "U" retir SOON'NNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

or rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrLATER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

EVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........the music can change!

WEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........CAN>>>>>>>>>TOO!!

KAN???????????????????////////////////////////////////////////YOU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOTTO-POST!! 

>>>>>>>>vote for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

YOUR POCKETBOOK$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$COUNT'$$$

JACKPOT                 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hit With StickChairDupe AlertHit With StickSmashBang Head.............US Flag

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7344 Posts
                    Posted: June 21, 2007, 5:39 am - IP Logged

Did you see where "Make Me Famous Make Me Rich" is getting replaced by Cash Explosion Double Play?

"Make Me Famous, Make Me Rich has not met sales or profit expectations for the Lottery Profits Education Fund" according to the Ohio Lottery's June 18 press release. 

United States
                      Member #48799
                      January 9, 2007
                      4 Posts
                      Posted: June 21, 2007, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

while your at it find out why they don't have a pick 4.

From Kxan news
                      ''To get more sales, the Texas Lottery Commission will be starting a game in November called Daily Four, which will be similar to Pick Three, the most popular game.''

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: June 22, 2007, 1:23 am - IP Logged

tneman

"From Kxan news
                        ''To get more sales, the Texas Lottery Commission..."

Odd huh? "To get more sales". Not "as a result of an e-mail campaign" or "Because of so many calls"  but  "to get more sales".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19903 Posts
                          Posted: June 22, 2007, 3:37 am - IP Logged

Did you see where "Make Me Famous Make Me Rich" is getting replaced by Cash Explosion Double Play?

"Make Me Famous, Make Me Rich has not met sales or profit expectations for the Lottery Profits Education Fund" according to the Ohio Lottery's June 18 press release. 

That doesn't surprise me, people keep saying they would like to see more people share the wealth but when it means smaller prizes for more players, they lose interest.  Twenty-four players winning $1K to $3K and one winning $50K is not as interesting as six players winning $5K to $10K and one winning $50K.

I saw the notice on their website but they are still taking applications for guess hosts for the "Make Me Famous Make Me Rich" show.  I wonder if they are planning to have both?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: June 22, 2007, 4:02 am - IP Logged

tneman

"From Kxan news
                            ''To get more sales, the Texas Lottery Commission..."

Odd huh? "To get more sales". Not "as a result of an e-mail campaign" or "Because of so many calls"  but  "to get more sales".

It's a business.  I mean, you can dress it up all you want and call it customer service, but that's what most changes are for. Example, when my bank wrote that to better service its customers they were no longer mailing checks with the bank statements (I went all electronic anyway) it is to save THEM money, not the customers. 

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10392 Posts
                              Posted: June 22, 2007, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Agreed! I think most people realize thjat but it seems there is a percentage that really thinks the lottery exists to make all the players, or at least themself,  rich.

Bang Head

We know that is hardly the case. Making the occassional gavone rich just happens to be part of the cost of doing business! And it's good PR. 

Lep