Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Job question: After winning a $100 Million jackpot, you would...

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 10 years ago by manzplan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

After winning a $100 Million jackpot, you would...

Retire and never have to work again. [ 30 ]  [58.82%]
Look into other career opportunities. [ 21 ]  [41.18%]
Total Valid Votes [ 51 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1958 Posts
Posted: June 23, 2007, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

You just won a $100 Million jackpot. Most people who win the lottery either A: Quit their current job and retire for life or B: Quit their current job and look into other career opportunites such as starting their own business, investing, and/or get into a career doing the things they love. So my question is, if you won a big jackpot, would you just retire and never worry about work again, or would you look into another career opportunity, whatever it may be? Me being 21 years old, I would not want to retire. I would definitely start my own business because it's something I've always wanted to do and I could be my own boss.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Australia
    Member #53018
    June 20, 2007
    32 Posts
    Posted: June 24, 2007, 1:14 am - IP Logged

i would first of all spend for the rest of my life how much fun, i would also stick with my career choice which is getting paid to play why would i give that up i play the lotto i get paid to play and i also win and get to spend i can't think of a better career that i would rather be doing right now. mostly i would be shopping and spending and sharing the wealth oh what a feeling.

Westerose
      Canada
      Member #52915
      June 15, 2007
      189 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2007, 1:34 am - IP Logged

the thing is I work a few nights a week off my farm.... more than I originally intended at first.....  I am the only one who will work the night shift. So here is my problem...... Although I would pry want to just quit and go off somewhere with my family I would feel a need to stay until they could replace me. In Alberta is very hard to get employees right now. We go through them insanely here.

So I would need to give them a time frame for quitting. Also since our work is our farm and our respective arts it's rather hard to quit doing those things. It's more of a lifestyle we've chosen.

However that being said. In the event of a huge win we would also like to travel so quitting the off farm job immeadiately would pry not be an option but within a month and that would give us time to also get the staff we needed for our farm to have so we could take a vacation and vacations later.

Also with winning a huge jackpot there will be a speeding up of things we are already working on as far as our property is concerned so off the bat after a bit of fun..... work would most likely increase for us double or triple or more.

But I wouldn't keep the night job at the hotel which I keep now to have more cash flow to fund projects, to have retirement thing in case of emergency (ya know the government kind in case other things get messed up somehow), and for a bit off time away from the farm. Also since Art and Exotic Livestock farming is sort of feast or famine.With 100 Million I wouldn't have those reasons left to keep the night job.  So yes I would quit that job,

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: June 24, 2007, 2:37 am - IP Logged

the thing is I work a few nights a week off my farm.... more than I originally intended at first.....  I am the only one who will work the night shift. So here is my problem...... Although I would pry want to just quit and go off somewhere with my family I would feel a need to stay until they could replace me. In Alberta is very hard to get employees right now. We go through them insanely here.

So I would need to give them a time frame for quitting. Also since our work is our farm and our respective arts it's rather hard to quit doing those things. It's more of a lifestyle we've chosen.

However that being said. In the event of a huge win we would also like to travel so quitting the off farm job immeadiately would pry not be an option but within a month and that would give us time to also get the staff we needed for our farm to have so we could take a vacation and vacations later.

Also with winning a huge jackpot there will be a speeding up of things we are already working on as far as our property is concerned so off the bat after a bit of fun..... work would most likely increase for us double or triple or more.

But I wouldn't keep the night job at the hotel which I keep now to have more cash flow to fund projects, to have retirement thing in case of emergency (ya know the government kind in case other things get messed up somehow), and for a bit off time away from the farm. Also since Art and Exotic Livestock farming is sort of feast or famine.With 100 Million I wouldn't have those reasons left to keep the night job.  So yes I would quit that job,

Then buy the farm and try to pay someone an exorbitant salary to run it when you are not there (if possible).

You will end up losing money, but heck, if farming is your life, you wouldn't know what to do without it...

I would probably move somewhere on the gulf coast, but inland far enough to where I don't have to worry about hurricanes. 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4575 Posts
          Posted: June 24, 2007, 2:57 am - IP Logged

As part of the small ratio of persons who would more then likely stay at my dream job, (money being a secondary factor to my eagerness on going to my workplace), its an interesting question.

If anything I would probably go to a part time status. Giving myself time to enjoy some travel and volunteer work for causes in my area.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Westerose
            Canada
            Member #52915
            June 15, 2007
            189 Posts
            Posted: June 24, 2007, 3:03 am - IP Logged

Then buy the farm and try to pay someone an exorbitant salary to run it when you are not there (if possible).

You will end up losing money, but heck, if farming is your life, you wouldn't know what to do without it...

I would probably move somewhere on the gulf coast, but inland far enough to where I don't have to worry about hurricanes. 

we already own the farm. Just we would have to hire staff if we wanted to go on a long holiday.  The farm would be expanded so we would need additional staff anyway. Now we've people in place when we need to go away that come and basically have it as a break for themselves from their lives.

We have an exotic livestock farm so it's not like some types of traditional farming that are on a downward trend in some places. Actually there are still alot of wealthy farmers up this way. One of the reasons that it's harder for businesses in our particular area to find employees. Most people work off the farm because they want to not because they have to around these parts. Beyond that.... It's rather hard to explain what it is exactly that we do on our farm.  if I could explain it then it would make alot more sense. But that explaination would take quite some time and you would pry stop reading a couple of pages in. lol

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
              United States
              Member #53008
              June 19, 2007
              67 Posts
              Posted: June 24, 2007, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Hey Guru,  Well I am 28 years old and having said that I would still quit my job and probably never work a day again.  I have a wife and 2 children under 2 so that would be more than enough to keep me busy during the day.  Plus there are all those vacations that I'd want to go on and I don't want to short-change any business I'm involved with by not being there for say half the year or so.  So put me down for never working again and spending the rest of my time with my family and friends.  I would be more than happy doing that.

Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1958 Posts
                Posted: June 24, 2007, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Hey Guru,  Well I am 28 years old and having said that I would still quit my job and probably never work a day again.  I have a wife and 2 children under 2 so that would be more than enough to keep me busy during the day.  Plus there are all those vacations that I'd want to go on and I don't want to short-change any business I'm involved with by not being there for say half the year or so.  So put me down for never working again and spending the rest of my time with my family and friends.  I would be more than happy doing that.

Don't get me wrong. If you are lucky enough to win the lottery, then you're well within your right to retire, even if it's young. If I decided to retire young, I would probably spend the rest of my life traveling and thrill seeking. I've always wanted to go bungee jumping and skydiving. However, if I do end up starting my own business, I will make sure I have plently of time set aside so that I can enjoy those things as well. I have nothing against retiring after winning the lottery. It just gives that person more time to spend with their family and friends.

Gonna win.Big Smile

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: June 24, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

I would definitely retire from the "rat race" but I would want to spend more of my time helping others, so I'd continue to work, but not to make more money.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                    South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #6
                    November 4, 2001
                    8797 Posts
                    Posted: June 24, 2007, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

I would retire

Take 1 million in cash for interest gained and living expenses.

Take the rest of the money and buy gold bullion bars. Take it to a secret hideout and stash it.

Then when I am gone people will spend 100 or more years looking for the buried treasure.ROFL

Oo'Ka

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7343 Posts
                      Posted: June 24, 2007, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

You just won a $100 Million jackpot. Most people who win the lottery either A: Quit their current job and retire for life or B: Quit their current job and look into other career opportunites such as starting their own business, investing, and/or get into a career doing the things they love. So my question is, if you won a big jackpot, would you just retire and never worry about work again, or would you look into another career opportunity, whatever it may be? Me being 21 years old, I would not want to retire. I would definitely start my own business because it's something I've always wanted to do and I could be my own boss.

To me work means a full time job with an employer that gives you a salary and probably some type of benefits package. With a $100 Million jackpot, do you really need that salary and benefits?

With that kind of money I can't understand why anyone would keep themselves in a position where they would have to ask their employer for a week or two off a few times a year or even the entire summer off to spend with their wife and kids. What would happen if you were told "no"?

For "quit and retire", retirement might not be the correct word either because most companies don't offer a benefits package that allows an employee to retire without a specific number of years or at a specific age.  You would quit and decide for yourself if you were retired. Had you said winning a $1-5 Million jackpot, the option would be much different because then you would have to weigh your wages, benefit package and current age against how much interest and/or investment income you could get from your windfall.

If you're working in area where you love your job or your job benefits hundreds or thousands of people the choice would be different, but I can't think of any logical reason why a person that won a $100 Million would not quit an ordinary job. How long could anybody continue to ask "do you want fries with your meal" after winning that much money?

Isn't this really another one of those "what would you do if you won" polls?

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5143 Posts
                        Posted: June 24, 2007, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

No matter what the jackpot...50 or 100 million

We would put 50% into ODK and give 50%>>>>>>AWAY!!!!!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO           HyperSee Ya!Hurray!CryingSee Ya!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10390 Posts
                          Posted: June 24, 2007, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

"Looking at another career field" makes me wonder.

Hello, you just won $100,000,000. No career field is even going to come close. To want to start a business to provide jobs or something is one thing, but work for the sake of work is another.

Back in the late 1970's or early 80's a guy hit the Illinois lottery for $43,000,000. He was a printer making $650 a week, which was pretty good pay for then. He said he was going to keep working.

I think he lasted about a month before he quit.  

If I remember correctly, he bought one or two bowling alleys after that, but bowling was his passion.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1958 Posts
                            Posted: June 24, 2007, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

"Looking at another career field" makes me wonder.

Hello, you just won $100,000,000. No career field is even going to come close. To want to start a business to provide jobs or something is one thing, but work for the sake of work is another.

Back in the late 1970's or early 80's a guy hit the Illinois lottery for $43,000,000. He was a printer making $650 a week, which was pretty good pay for then. He said he was going to keep working.

I think he lasted about a month before he quit.  

If I remember correctly, he bought one or two bowling alleys after that, but bowling was his passion.

Owning your own business is a career.

Gonna win.Big Smile

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                              A long and winding road
                              United States
                              Member #17084
                              June 10, 2005
                              4575 Posts
                              Posted: June 24, 2007, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

for the most part this question should be directed to folks who do consider their *job* as a means to line their boss's pocket. 

There are those of us who honestly enjoy our careers and delight in what we do. Its not a sin to like your job or to keep working even after you hit your economic lifestyle level. You arent taking bread from someone elses table if your skills are needed in that job field . Its tiresome to hear persons consider that lucky winner *selfish* or taking away from some elses opportunity to have that job. Whos to say that alot of folks are even qualified or WOULD even want the job that the winner is leaving? Not withstanding the fact that they maynot even like the company that has the opening.

Paul Newman and Bill Gates are fine examples of entrepenuers who still contribute to society thru causes and endeavors. They are chairmans of such endeavors. Thus leading to the fact that they ARENT retired and are still wealthy and working. They may not clock in or out like some job positions require but they are certainly *active* in foundations. Sometimes a job (career) isnt ALL about the PAYCHECK.

(editors note** Places soap box back in closet for another day)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008