Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Job question: After winning a $100 Million jackpot, you would...

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 9 years ago by manzplan.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

After winning a $100 Million jackpot, you would...

Retire and never have to work again. [ 30 ]  [58.82%]
Look into other career opportunities. [ 21 ]  [41.18%]
Total Valid Votes [ 51 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: June 24, 2007, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Owning your own business is a career.

Guru101

This is true, but what good does winning $100,000,000 do you if you still are a slave to a clock, or retail hours, etc?

Owning a business, providing jobs, and having people manage it is one thing. Having a buisiness that requires you to be there would just make you a time slave. A very rich one, but still a time slave.

When I see ads in Biz Opp. magazines or go to a seminar and someone is talking about owning a business and "being free" and they're wearing a suit and a tie, I can't help but think, "Yea, right." 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
    Member #38687
    May 3, 2006
    315 Posts
    Posted: June 24, 2007, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

i would move to miami and open the most happening-est night club and party every fri-mon

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2007, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

Guru101

This is true, but what good does winning $100,000,000 do you if you still are a slave to a clock, or retail hours, etc?

Owning a business, providing jobs, and having people manage it is one thing. Having a buisiness that requires you to be there would just make you a time slave. A very rich one, but still a time slave.

When I see ads in Biz Opp. magazines or go to a seminar and someone is talking about owning a business and "being free" and they're wearing a suit and a tie, I can't help but think, "Yea, right." 

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying a lot of money, it about how you use that money. There's both GOOD and EVIL when it comes to money. You can be like Warren Buffet and donate $37 Billion to charity, or you can be like some rappers out there that smoke weed and carry around a gun because there a thug.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: June 24, 2007, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying a lot of money, it about how you use that money. There's both GOOD and EVIL when it comes to money. You can be like Warren Buffet and donate $37 Billion to charity, or you can be like some rappers out there that smoke weed and carry around a gun because there a thug.

I never said there's anything wrong with enjoying a lot of money.

I'm commenting on the thought process behind coming into $100,000,000 and still working.

For one thing, I believe that a jackpot winner has absolutly no business working any job because thye should move out of the way, so to speak, and free the job up for someone who really needs it, they don't anymore. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: June 25, 2007, 9:54 am - IP Logged

I would continue teaching.

I love helping children.

I would like to have my own private school.  There would not be a fee, however I would screen the families.  I would get rid of the smarta$$ parents.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Dolce, Illinois
            United States
            Member #26462
            November 18, 2005
            50 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2007, 10:52 am - IP Logged

I think just managing the cash would be a job.  You can't really just sit back let the checks roll in.  You've got to stay on top of things, etc.

You see everyday people spending a great deal of time just taking care of their investments, taxes, budgets and such.  Image that at $100m.  Some people get bent out of shape worrying if the local garage is going to pop you for a car repair.  Imagine that magnified a lot.

I'd retire then try to learn as much as I could about investing, markets, etc.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: June 25, 2007, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

With a 20 million dollar home in Malibu, a 5 million dollar Yacht, and a 5 million dollar state of the art recording studio, with wall to wall guitars, surrounded by a harem, who has time for work? Are you kidding me?...lol

I've already done my time. After 43 years in prison, why would I look back?

Coastal Georgia
                United States
                Member #2653
                October 30, 2003
                1866 Posts
                Posted: June 25, 2007, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Retire and travel...

$100 Million would be enough to do that and then some.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: June 25, 2007, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Guru101

I think if you continue to work it would have to be doing something you really enjoy.  I mean, George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg didn't stop directing just because they became millionaires.  Jay Leno and David Letterman each make about $30 million a year and continue to work.  Judge Judy makes about $29 million.  What about Oprah Winfrey?  Bob Barker just retired after 50 years of being the most popular game show host in history.  (at least I think so!)  Most of these celebrities make more in one year than any of us will make in a lifetime.  (Sometimes I think their salaries are obscene.)  Many politicians are extremely wealthy, so why do they run for office?  Maybe it's because they enjoy the challenge or want the power. A few of them might really want to help people!

"free the job up for someone who really needs it"  Coin Toss

As far as "freeing up a job" goes, I can't see why anyone working at a low wage job would stay. I guess some people have a hard time changing a routine.  Not only would he be giving a large chunk of his paycheck to the IRS, but it would be impossible not to feel the pressure & resentment from co-workers who are struggling to make ends meet.  I knew a woman who worked at a store for extra money and to get out of the house. She and her husband were very comfortable, owned several homes and rental properties. She gave all of her paycheck to her grandchildren.  When the company began to reduce hours, she told the manager to let her go so the working mothers wouldn't get a cut in pay. 

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: June 25, 2007, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring

"I think if you continue to work it would have to be doing something you really enjoy.  I mean, George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg didn't stop directing just because they became millionaires.  Jay Leno and David Letterman each make about $30 million a year and continue to work.  Judge Judy makes about $29 million.  What about Oprah Winfrey?  Bob Barker just retired after 50 years of being the most popular game show host in history.  (at least I think so!)  Most of these celebrities make more in one year than any of us will make in a lifetime.  (Sometimes I think their salaries are obscene.)  Many politicians are extremely wealthy, so why do they run for office?  Maybe it's because they enjoy the challenge or want the power. A few of them might really want to help people!"

Unlike a lotto windfall that produces an "overnight" change in lifestlye, or at least allows one as a choice, the people you mentioned were already very well paid for doing what they were doing and just continue to do it.  That's hardly the equivalent of a "wage slave" coming into a life changing score and continuing at a job they've been working at just for the paycheck. 

I guess why those used to money call people like lottery winners and those who come into a sudden inheritance the "nouveau riche".  

I remember Art Bell of late night talk radio saying that in his job the clock is still an adversary, but not in the terms of watching the clock until it's time to go home, but in the sense of the time flying and running out every night while there's still so much he wanted to talk about that he just didn't get to.

Lep

United States
                      Member #51688
                      April 19, 2007
                      200 Posts
                      Posted: June 26, 2007, 4:39 am - IP Logged

I think if you continue to work it would have to be doing something you really enjoy.  I mean, George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg didn't stop directing just because they became millionaires.  Jay Leno and David Letterman each make about $30 million a year and continue to work.  Judge Judy makes about $29 million.  What about Oprah Winfrey?  Bob Barker just retired after 50 years of being the most popular game show host in history.  (at least I think so!)  Most of these celebrities make more in one year than any of us will make in a lifetime.  (Sometimes I think their salaries are obscene.)  Many politicians are extremely wealthy, so why do they run for office?  Maybe it's because they enjoy the challenge or want the power. A few of them might really want to help people!

"free the job up for someone who really needs it"  Coin Toss

As far as "freeing up a job" goes, I can't see why anyone working at a low wage job would stay. I guess some people have a hard time changing a routine.  Not only would he be giving a large chunk of his paycheck to the IRS, but it would be impossible not to feel the pressure & resentment from co-workers who are struggling to make ends meet.  I knew a woman who worked at a store for extra money and to get out of the house. She and her husband were very comfortable, owned several homes and rental properties. She gave all of her paycheck to her grandchildren.  When the company began to reduce hours, she told the manager to let her go so the working mothers wouldn't get a cut in pay. 

Great  explanation  Justxploring  .....I  wold  not  retire  unless  I  had  a  job  I  hated  and  the  pay  was  way  too  low:

My  first  thought  if  I  had  a  million  is  to  go  and  rent  or  own  a  luxuary  boat  and  with  at  least  one  woman  I  would  just  relax  on  the    open  sea .....no  cars  or  sirens  or  the  nosies  of  city  life  for  miles  around  and  then  just  think  about  how  and  where  I  should  spen  the  money !!!

$$750,000  is  not  a  wole  heck  of  amount  of  money  unless  your  shopping  at  walmart  or  Sams  club :

but  real-estate  or  a  small business  investment  can  eat  up  a  nest  egg  like  750,000  real  quick  ,because  everything  cost  more  these  days .....so  first  enjoy  the  money  by  traveling  and  seeing  the  world  then  after  you  see  all  there  is  to  explore ,  then  go  back  to  your  job  or  make  you  a  life  living  comfortably  doing  what  you  want  , not  what  others  think  you  should  be  doing @See Ya!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                        A long and winding road
                        United States
                        Member #17084
                        June 10, 2005
                        4528 Posts
                        Posted: June 27, 2007, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Bottom line- You get to have the *choice* to decide if you want to retire.

I could careless if someone resents my working after a big win. As a citizen I've earned the right to work and benifit from it. Why would I want to be an outcast and *snub* the working class. Ive got great regard for people in my establishment and wouldnt consider leaving unless my health or the business went under.

As to resenting a person who does have lots of money and still works. Seems silly. That is their choice. I dont judge a person on their payscale or who has the most toys. A person can be valued for the contribution they make to the business. Enuff said.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

SirMetro's avatar - center
                          East of Atlanta
                          United States
                          Member #6191
                          August 11, 2004
                          1389 Posts
                          Posted: June 28, 2007, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Folks here on LotteryPost never cease to amaze me. Personally, I have done jobs that range from literally digging ditches (installing gas piping underground) to actually owning and running my own business. And yes, if I won an after-tax win of $100 hundred million, I would seriously consider hiring someone just to deal with my cat’s litter box so I would not have too.

If there is anything in life I have come to terms with, it would be this. No person’s job is menial. Be it the CEO of a successful (or failing) Corporation or the kid who pushes the button that lowers the fries into the grease. Each and every task is as equally important as the other to the overall success of a business and to life itself.

Consider this, look at your writing hand, be it left or right. Reach down and pick up a pen or pencil. Now, lay that pencil back down. Imagine you do not have your thumb. Now try to pick up that same pencil, but don’t use your thumb in the process. Every task, be it sweeping the floor and emptying the trash can to managing the financial records of a major corporation is integral to the overall success of a Company. And the longer the Company survives, the longer the Company can continue to pay those who perform those tasks.

I delight in seeing people who give 100% to their job. And yes, the pay really is bad for many people. But if you want better, commit yourself to do more. I don’t understand these so called “self-help” books and those strange little programs where the only ones I see gaining are the book sellers. What I do understand is that if you seek out to better educate yourself. If you put out that extra effort to improve yourself, you can step up the financial ladder. But the moment you begin to thumb your nose at those who are doing the job you left behind, you will fall. And believe me, it really is bad to hit the bottom and have to start over again.

So the next time you’re out and about and you see that person who really goes the extra step to bag your groceries. Or at a restaurant, you see that person paying a little extra attention to cleaning up a table where the patron(s) just left. Just take a brief moment of your time and say thank you. Because when all is said and done, be it the person who makes minimum wage or the entertainer who makes millions, like it or not, they are both performing a job for you. And sometimes, those two little words, “thank you” can be worth more then all the money in the world.

This is my opinion. And the last time I worried about whether or not my opinion offended anyone, I was quickly reminded that no one really gave a damn. But who knows, I have been wrong before.

Have fun all,
                          Sir Metro

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                            Hard Luck, Ak
                            United States
                            Member #23472
                            October 13, 2005
                            275 Posts
                            Posted: June 30, 2007, 2:40 am - IP Logged

Very well put Sir Metro!, We all have a reason to be here and anyone that is willing to do a job no matter how big or small is a hero to me. To often we as a society look at entertainers and athletes as heros because of what they do. The real heros are the 9 to 5 er's working to support their family.

Westerose
                              Canada
                              Member #52915
                              June 15, 2007
                              189 Posts
                              Posted: June 30, 2007, 5:21 am - IP Logged

right now the job I do off my farm if I quit the people would really be in a bind as they can't find anyone else who will do it. Alberta is an employees economy... seriously people quitting jobs here cos they don't wanna go into work for a few days or weeks and then getting hired again cos their employer can't find others to replace them fulltime.....  Young people who have grown up in this job market are almost unbearable to work with sometimes strolling into work 1 to 2 hours late without so much as a "sorry I am late".... we try to get older people to fill the positions and  many times the people of our area are working because they have some extra time and are bored and are begged to work by a friend who owns a business.  Most people in my area do not need to work another day in their lives if they dont want to.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!