Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Suggestion to Todd

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LuckyLilly.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #43694
July 23, 2006
184 Posts
Posted: June 28, 2007, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd,

I have a suggestion about being locked out for posting a link.

When someone writes in all capital letters, they are not locked out, but given a warning, and making them change their captitals before thay can post.

So my dear Todd, why not do the same thing if some one tries to post a link, instead of banning them out right?  Many posts links by mistake, and others try to paste info that contains links which they are unware of.

I think a more humane approach to this problem should be taken. 

What do the membership thinks? 

Fibonacci's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    New York, NY
    United States
    Member #39471
    May 16, 2006
    2696 Posts
    Posted: June 28, 2007, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd,

When someone writes in all capital letters, they are not locked out, but given a warning, and making them change their captitals before thay can post.

So my dear Todd, why not do the same thing if some one tries to post a link, instead of banning them out right?  Many posts links by mistake, and others try to paste info that contains links which they are unware of.

In my experience Todd gives private warnings before taking drastic actions. I don't know the man personally but I doubt a site owner like this would ban or lock someone out unless he had already issued one or more serious warnings.

I don't believe I ever flouted that rule about posting links to competing or potentially competing websites, but it makes sense.  I do remember, however making a request for a service that unwittingly would have undermined one of the great (and better frankly) tools on this site and Todd brought it to my attention. That was the end of the matter.

I suspect anyone who is banned or locked out got similar private alerts.

Notwithstanding what I have written, I would join any appeal for more tolerance with errant members otherwise in good standing.

$$$

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
      Beautiful Florida
      United States
      Member #5709
      July 18, 2004
      20119 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2007, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd,

Todd,

doesn't just lock someone out for no apparent reason. If for some reason you've been locked out, or were'nt allowed to post you were flagrant in your violation of the sites policy. Things have run very sucessful and I can't see any reason to even attempt a vote against this... 

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23273 Posts
        Posted: June 28, 2007, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the understanding Fibonacci!  [Edit: thanks Maddog too!]  It's really great when people try to understand what it's like to be on this end of the keyboard.

So now, my dear RedToad, posting a link cannot be compared to posting in all capital letters (although at times the latter can seem just as obnoxious).  I ran a bunch of actual usage statistics over the 7+ year history of Lottery Post and found that the vast majority of times when a new member posts a link, it is the act of a spammer.

Just to be sure you didn't read that too quickly, I did not say every new member who posts a link is a spammer.  I stated that most of the time new members posting links are spammers.

Do you know how much time it takes to monitor for spammers, try to filter their scams, and then to clean up after them, after they post messages in every forum and in the blogs?

The automatic new member link detector was one of the best things I've built recently.

Every single day it keeps at least one spammer off the forums, but most days it wipes out 5 or 6 spammers.  Occasionally there is a new member who happens to post a link and I need to reinstate them.  Maybe one per week.

Once a spammer is able to post one link -- just one -- a large part of their scam is already accomplished.  Google and Yahoo (and others) constantly monitor this site for new content, so a link sitting on the forums for even a couple minutes will probably have been picked up by a search engine.  I am determined to not let that happen.

Lest I give the impression that I disagree with your suggestion, I do not.  I think it has merit, and in fact I had started to build some framework about 2 months ago to do a single-warning per new user.  So we are essentially on the same page.

I thought it was important for you to understand all this, as well as understanding that nothing goes into this web site without a trendous amount of thought, planning, and design.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
          Member #34266
          March 1, 2006
          188 Posts
          Posted: June 28, 2007, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

I have posted numerous links relating to lottery winners, and I have never had a problem.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49784 Posts
            Posted: June 28, 2007, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd,

If you wish to make a Suggestion use the Forum that is intended for that purpose:

The Suggestion Forum!

This Post appears to be more of a Personal Nature, in which case:

You would use a Private Message!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: June 28, 2007, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

I, too, was banned for trying to post a link to the sister site USAMega, which I didn't realize was a sister site at the time.  I thought I was posting info nobody knew about.  LOL  And a really mean automated message came up Sobbing and Blowing Nose and I wasn't allowed back in till I repented and begged forgiveness.  Wink

I have yet to find the rule that says you can't post links until x amount of time or x posts on the site.  After I was banned, I looked.  I swear I did.  Could someone direct me to where it is, please?

johnph77's avatar - avatar
                CA
                United States
                Member #2987
                December 10, 2003
                832 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2007, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Although I've been a member for a while, whenever I post a link to a page on my site, I always add that the link is non-commercial, I have nothing to sell, and there aren't any ads. I shall continue to do so. I haven't received any warnings using this method.

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: June 30, 2007, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I know someome who was banned, never found out why, and never got a replay to e-mails asking why.

And she is the furthest thing from a spammer.

I've also seen questions posted here that were answered by links people posted and at least the links if not the posts and the threads disappeared.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #22395
                    September 24, 2005
                    1583 Posts
                    Posted: June 30, 2007, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

Other sites I have seen prevent the posting of any links until the member has at least 'X'  number of postings (perhaps 100 posts).

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1954 Posts
                      Posted: June 30, 2007, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I don't really find a problem with it at all. You're forwarded to a page with a full explanation of why your account has been locked, and it gives you the option of contacting the webmaster. I agree with Todd. Spammers are constantly joining forums and posting away links, and they do not deserve the revenue they receive from someone JUST CLICKING that link. The number of legitimate posts with links are far below that of the ones that aren't legit. Also, Todd seems to take care of these situations in a timely manner. When I posted a link to a free C++ compiler, I contacted Todd, and my account was unlocked very soon after. I see nothing wrong with this procedure because I know, being that this forum discusses the lottery, that our experience here would be much worse if it was different.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23273 Posts
                        Posted: June 30, 2007, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Guru and thank you Raven.  Almost everyone else did not read my message carefully.  People whose links made it to the forums ARE NOT NEW MEMBERS.  As for "begging to get back on", that's RIDICULOUS.  You sent a silly e-mail and it was turned right back on with an explanation to boot.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                          Member #50124
                          February 26, 2007
                          601 Posts
                          Posted: June 30, 2007, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Guru and thank you Raven.  Almost everyone else did not read my message carefully.  People whose links made it to the forums ARE NOT NEW MEMBERS.  As for "begging to get back on", that's RIDICULOUS.  You sent a silly e-mail and it was turned right back on with an explanation to boot.

Sorry, I thought that was understood with the Wink

It is as Todd says, I just sent an email explaining what the link was, and my posting privileges were reinstated very quickly.

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23273 Posts
                            Posted: June 30, 2007, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Suggestions forum>

I didn't realize for a long time that this was in the wrong forum!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5123 Posts
                              Posted: June 30, 2007, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd,

redtoad:

What is UR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PROBLEM?????????>>>

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......just??

a still a........little baby in U-mther's womb>>wrote song(my little baby)  .........<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaBABY?

in.................mother's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WOMB, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

pur MOTHER'S.....<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<WOMB?????????<<<<<<<<<<

GROW^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^STUPID!!!

even psykomo got LOCKED in BEGIN'GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I even get locked out on some lottery terminal's...............UUUUUU

"STUPID^^^^put ^^^^or sh ^^^POT!!!!!