Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

After a big multi-million win how long would you wait to come forward?

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 9 years ago by applejack78.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

If you won a big multi-million lottery how long would you wait to come forward?

wait? why wait? I'd collect ASAP [ 27 ]  [23.48%]
After I told all my family... [ 2 ]  [1.74%]
Oh...about a week [ 8 ]  [6.96%]
After all the commotion and press died down [ 15 ]  [13.04%]
After I consulted a good tax attorney & lawyer [ 55 ]  [47.83%]
Honestly I never thought about it [ 8 ]  [6.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 115 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Grand Rapids, Michigan
United States
Member #53008
June 19, 2007
67 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2007, 9:25 am - IP Logged

It always fascinates me to see how long some of the really big winners take to come forward to claim their big jackpots.  So I'm just curious of my fellow members here,  how long would you take to come forward and why?  Please explain.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2007, 9:29 am - IP Logged

I'd wait about 5 or 6 years, just to make sure I had the best lawyers on my side.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
      nashville
      United States
      Member #49896
      February 18, 2007
      1181 Posts
      Posted: July 1, 2007, 9:48 am - IP Logged

i voted to come forward after consulting legal advice and financial advice. i also know it can take 2-6 weeks for the lottery to receive all of the money from the other states involved in the game so there would be no rush to show up before they can actually wire me the money. if it wasnt a multi state game and just in my state jackpot then i would show up after i have my legal and financial advice because it shouldnt take as long to wire me the money without having to wait on other states...Guitar

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
        Member #50124
        February 26, 2007
        601 Posts
        Posted: July 1, 2007, 10:19 am - IP Logged

I'd consult an attorney first, then how long it would take depends on what the attorney I consulted tells me.

I'm hoping that I can change my name before claiming, and the lottery would only release the new name.  I'd have my attorney check on that.  I'd be happy to give the lottery my old name if they need to check to make sure I don't owe taxes or child support, but if they will give the press only my new name, then it would be 2 - 3 months before I could get the name change and claim the jackpot.  No photos or news conference, of course.

If it turns out the lottery will release any and all names I've used in the last 6 months, then I wouldn't bother changing it and I'd claim the jackpot within 2 - 3 weeks, after I had consulted an attorney and a tax attorney/CPA, and had the chance to move to a different residence and get my phone changed to go directly to a voice mailbox. 

United States
          Member #50386
          March 5, 2007
          19 Posts
          Posted: July 1, 2007, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

I voted to wait for the attention to die down. There will always be another news story  to help fade peoples memories. That would give you time to talk to all the people you need to. Changing your address to get an updated Drivers Licence for the id required to claim your winnings seems to me a wise step. Find a temporary place to receive mail in a different city and get a new one.  Once you claim your prize it will be THAT city released to the press with your name. It would certainly cut down the local press in your home town. I would not actually have moved and would claim if anyone picked up on the similar name "Thats not me". Living low-key during that time would also be prudent. If it all fell apart - oh well - all the way to the bank! In Michigan your name and city are released, you are given a check - no wire transfers - , you will always pay Michigan taxes if you pick the annuity - no matter where you move to.

United States
            Member #34266
            March 1, 2006
            188 Posts
            Posted: July 1, 2007, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

I would claim the winning ticket on a really big news day, like the death of a really notorious celebrity, i.e. Anna Nicole Smith.   

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1955 Posts
              Posted: July 1, 2007, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Even though I check my numbers the same night they get drawn, if I found out I won a jackpot, I would get up from my desk right then, pack up a couple days cloths, drive to Indianapolis, get a room at the Mariott, then in the morning, I would walk a few blocks over to the Hoosier Lottery Headquarters to claim my jackpot.Big Smile

Gonna win.Big Smile

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                nashville
                United States
                Member #49896
                February 18, 2007
                1181 Posts
                Posted: July 1, 2007, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

Even though I check my numbers the same night they get drawn, if I found out I won a jackpot, I would get up from my desk right then, pack up a couple days cloths, drive to Indianapolis, get a room at the Mariott, then in the morning, I would walk a few blocks over to the Hoosier Lottery Headquarters to claim my jackpot.Big Smile

i hope you wouldnt walk back to the hotel, at least get a cab so the nosey press wont know where you are going...Wink

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                  Member #4121
                  March 23, 2004
                  817 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I would place my winning ticket in the bank with my revised will.  Take a quiet vacation for a month to relax and think about how to spend my moola. Give my stuff quietly away.  Claim my ticket within 3 months. 

Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1955 Posts
                    Posted: July 1, 2007, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

i hope you wouldnt walk back to the hotel, at least get a cab so the nosey press wont know where you are going...Wink

Ya, I would take a cab back to the hotel. Once I got back, I would go to the Starbucks they have and get me a vanilla latte.Big Grin

Gonna win.Big Smile

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: July 1, 2007, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Ya, I would take a cab back to the hotel. Once I got back, I would go to the Starbucks they have and get me a vanilla latte.Big Grin

what size tip would you leave the starbucks person???Cheers

Westerose
                        Canada
                        Member #52915
                        June 15, 2007
                        189 Posts
                        Posted: July 1, 2007, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

I'd wait til I could get a "redneck Make-over" some real redneck clothes, a place at a trailer park, some job that people think is a redneck type job.... then I would go claim the money... and say

"Nope it's not gonna change us at all, we're gonna still live down ta the trailer court heh heh heh heh heh ha. Ain't gonna quit my job.......  I'd get bored heh heh heh heh ha....  Gonna buy the company and give everyone a raise heh heh heh heh ha...      buy everyone in the trailer court a new vehicle heh heh heh heh heh heh ha.... and hire Kid Rock to come do a concert at the trailer court heh heh heh heh heh ha...... "

stuff like that just to p*iss people off.....     

after making that scene ain't no one gonna even think I was the one who won...... lol

disclaimer: I wouldn't really do all of that. Also the particulars are based on preconcieved sterotypical notions of redneck living and not meant to offend anyone who lives at a trailer park or likes Kid Rock.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #48725
                          January 7, 2007
                          1955 Posts
                          Posted: July 1, 2007, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

what size tip would you leave the starbucks person???Cheers

Not too much. Probably $5, which is really more than enough, but since I'll be in a good mood, that'll be enough. I'm going to treat myself, but I'm not going to throw a bunch of money at everyone I come across. I want to have some self control from the very beginning.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10356 Posts
                            Posted: July 1, 2007, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

I voted wait til the commotion died down. 

But I'd defintiely collect before Dec 21 2012 (Google 12-21-2012 + Mayan Prophecy) 

If my wife and I had to appear for a press conference, we'd wear gorilla suits and masks, like Ernie Kovacs' Nairobi Trio.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                              Magnolia, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #18795
                              July 20, 2005
                              789 Posts
                              Posted: July 2, 2007, 9:51 am - IP Logged

I voted "I'd collect ASAP". I know some here are saying "What A Dummy!" But hold on for a second or two. Why let Any financial adviser know what you're worth before you have the money or before you negotiate on their fees? Most financial advisor's go by what they feel they can charge you and of course that's tied to what your total net worth is. So, why over pay them before they do anything for you? I'd make their fees coincide with their performance. I make money, they get a percentage. I lose money, they get zero. They will work for me and not for themselves!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up