Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

After a big multi-million win how long would you wait to come forward?

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 9 years ago by applejack78.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

If you won a big multi-million lottery how long would you wait to come forward?

wait? why wait? I'd collect ASAP [ 27 ]  [23.48%]
After I told all my family... [ 2 ]  [1.74%]
Oh...about a week [ 8 ]  [6.96%]
After all the commotion and press died down [ 15 ]  [13.04%]
After I consulted a good tax attorney & lawyer [ 55 ]  [47.83%]
Honestly I never thought about it [ 8 ]  [6.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 115 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19901 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2007, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

Well--since OH allows anonymity and is just across the border from MI--I guess that I would, if in your shoes, quickly establish residence in OH and claim the tkt anonymously or through a trust. 

Just a thought.

If you buy a winning lottery ticket in Michigan, you have to cash it in Michigan and follow their laws even if you live in Ohio.  However, if you live in Michigan and buy your winning lottery tickets in Ohio then Ohio laws will apply.  Michigan players who play MegaMillions and want anonymity should buy their tickets in Ohio.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7344 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2007, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Well--since OH allows anonymity and is just across the border from MI--I guess that I would, if in your shoes, quickly establish residence in OH and claim the tkt anonymously or through a trust. 

Just a thought.

"since OH allows anonymity"

Ohio won't take your picture and give out your name if you request anonymity but they will publish where the ticket was sold. If I read on Winners Row where a huge jackpot was sold at a local store and noticed a change in my neighbor's lifestyle, it wouldn't be that difficult connecting the dots.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19901 Posts
      Posted: September 19, 2007, 10:27 am - IP Logged

"since OH allows anonymity"

Ohio won't take your picture and give out your name if you request anonymity but they will publish where the ticket was sold. If I read on Winners Row where a huge jackpot was sold at a local store and noticed a change in my neighbor's lifestyle, it wouldn't be that difficult connecting the dots.

I've bought tickets at several places near my home and when I shop in Mansfield, O. not too far from where I live I've bought tickets there too, so if I ever won you would have to connect all the dots within 25-30 miles of where the ticket was sold.  Or if I was your neighbor you might noticed I had moved.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Belle Fourche , South Dakota
        United States
        Member #25019
        October 30, 2005
        17 Posts
        Posted: September 19, 2007, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Trust no one with your new found wealth. Be a savey shopper like you were before you won! Approach 2 CPA's to get there advise, talk to 2 lawers for advise , talk to 3 or 4 financial advisers on how to invest ....But never commit to either parties pay an a advisory fee and tell them that you are consulting others and each will be evaluating your plans. So each lawyer will be scutinzed by an another on their advise given , same as for the CPA's and for financal advisers with each getting to see and reveiw each others plan , with out the knowledge of who is reviewing thier plans. Then you can take everyones reviews and study them and hopefully make the best choice. Then of coarse just like I do with all my insurance ever year I shop and make them compare again and ---make them honest. Personally I have a plan on how to split up my investment , which include .. land (just not making any more ) mutual funds and certain stock to play with on a daily bases to keep me in tone with my finances  and investments. Now on the subject as to how long to wait... 3 dots to long, but the first weeks vacation is to take a breath of air , set up appointments with the CPA"s - Lawyers - Finance advisors. Think things out with the wife as far as matters concerning the family and relatives that will sure to surface. Being a long timer at my company , I would not let them go on scad--- make all the medical, eye and dental appointments needed on them before retiring, and having to get my own health insurance. While having all my health care  needs taken care of by my work place  , I would keep smilingSmile but surely drop down a gear or two ( have to slow down for those retirement days). But I would surely be finish with work with in two months or less. As far as to letting mine or my family name out ....thats rough, it seems people , family will talk and it will get out...come out right off the gate ---maybe there is bigger news any might miss the attention, right . Wait .. move ...  not in my books , my roots to deep to pull up. I'll be the same ...still have the same close freinds, I'm sure a few more. Come right out probley allot more new want to be friends . Either way, wait or out off the gate--- I thing you be getting the phone calls , people bugging you ect ect especially if you plan to stay in the same area !  So whats everyone elses plans