Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Finally, one's growing!

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
MissNYC's avatar - diva
Westchester, New York
United States
Member #49345
January 27, 2007
168 Posts
Posted: July 4, 2007, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

It looks like the Mega Millions is finally getting up there, as it seems to rarely do anymore. I was just curious as to how often and how much everyone plays and how the amount of the pot effects that? I know that I usually spend $5 a draw on my local lottery, which I justify since I don't spend $6 a day on cigarettes like some people. Anyhow, once  the mega millions reaches about 80 million, I quit my local lotto, and start playing the mega. At first it's $3-5 a draw, then once it its 100 mil, it's $5, and if it breaks the 200 million dollar mark, I play $10, which for a New Yorker is not a lot because I've stood behind people playing $100 on a single draw.

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7313 Posts
    Posted: July 4, 2007, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

It looks like the Mega Millions is finally getting up there, as it seems to rarely do anymore. I was just curious as to how often and how much everyone plays and how the amount of the pot effects that? I know that I usually spend $5 a draw on my local lottery, which I justify since I don't spend $6 a day on cigarettes like some people. Anyhow, once  the mega millions reaches about 80 million, I quit my local lotto, and start playing the mega. At first it's $3-5 a draw, then once it its 100 mil, it's $5, and if it breaks the 200 million dollar mark, I play $10, which for a New Yorker is not a lot because I've stood behind people playing $100 on a single draw.

"I know that I usually spend $5 a draw on my local lottery, which I justify since I don't spend $6 a day on cigarettes like some people."

I know people that justify smoking by saying they don't spend $6 a day on the lottery.

Considering the odds of the games, if I had to justify my lottery spending, I probably would never play. There are around 175 million Mega Millions combinations so there really isn't much difference between buying 5, 10, or even 100 combinations. And since the size of the jackpot does nothing to change the number of combinations, you have exactly the same number of chances to win whether the jackpot is $12 Million or $300 Million.

When the jackpot grows, more people play and buy extra tickets justifying it on the theory the jackpot will be hit and their chances are just as good as the next guy.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: July 4, 2007, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

The game I usually play is a Pick 5 with a jackpot that starts at $100,000 and goes up until hit. It has been over $1,000,000 a couple of times.

I'm in a Mega Millions state so do play it, but not always.

Sometimes I'll play the Mega Millions instead since 5 + 0 pays $250,000, so you have the thought, wild as it is, of hoping to hit 5 + 0 and maybe hitting 5 + 1.

Sometimes my wife plays with a friend and he likes to pick numbers. As many times as they do this, if she or I suggest a numberfor the Mega number  that's already one he has picked for the top matrix, he says, "We already picked that one."

This is one of the reasons jackpots grow , because you just cannot convince a lot of people that any 5 + 1 game is actually two lottos in one.

Bang Head

I'm strictly a $1 and $2 player though. Personally I just believe that with the odds as astronomical as they are $5 (or $10 or whatever) are only helping out the lottery, not the player.

If you take a close look at the lottery documentaries, except for group play, most winning tickets seem to have only one line of numbers on the ticket, (this a $1 ticket). That's all it takes.

I have noticed that playing the states Pick 6 game I invariably have 0, 1 or 2 numbers of 12 (two lines of 6), almost every single time. I guess that's exactly what you're suppossed to have.

We border a Powerball state, so of course when the Mega gets hit and Powerball is up all the "jackpot chasers" want to know who is crossing the river and can go get them tickets. Really ridiculous.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23269 Posts
        Posted: July 4, 2007, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: July 5, 2007, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

It's about to stop growing.  $100M jackpots are starting to look as good as they did a few years ago when players would stand in line to buy a ticket.  After a few $200M+ jackpots some players got spoiled and started waiting for $200M+ jackpots to start buying tickets.  Now they're buying more tickets for the lower jackpots because there's a good chance it won't roll again.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: July 7, 2007, 1:16 am - IP Logged

"It's about to stop growing."

What did I tell you?  It will start growing again next week.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2007, 3:44 am - IP Logged

I guess I'll get "yelled at" but on a similar MM thread I just commented that I don't understand why, if someone is going to bet $1 anyway, winning $15 million wouldn't be exciting.  It totally boggles my mind when someone says that $300 million would be enough to get on a plane to go buy a ticket but $106 million wouldn't be. 

Am I crazy or are the odds EXACTLY the same when the jackpot is $15 million or $300 million (except there's probably a greater chance of 2 people hitting it when the buying frenzy begins.)

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7313 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2007, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

I guess I'll get "yelled at" but on a similar MM thread I just commented that I don't understand why, if someone is going to bet $1 anyway, winning $15 million wouldn't be exciting.  It totally boggles my mind when someone says that $300 million would be enough to get on a plane to go buy a ticket but $106 million wouldn't be. 

Am I crazy or are the odds EXACTLY the same when the jackpot is $15 million or $300 million (except there's probably a greater chance of 2 people hitting it when the buying frenzy begins.)

There is a term in poker called "pot odds" that is a justification for making a call when you don't have the best hand but have a good draw opportunity. The odds of drawing that card are exactly the same and with "pot odds" you are comparing how much it cost you to call to the size of the pot.

In MM terms I suppose that buying $10 worth of tickets when the jackpot is $100 million is better "pot odds" than when it's $15 million, but unless you win, it's irrelevant. When people say they "only play when the jackpot is over $100 million", I've thought it was their way of pretending to be a more intelligent gambler. This time it was 14 draws until the MM jackpot reached $100 million so basically they are saying they intelligently concluded getting that one combination out of 175 million is much easier in the 15th draw than in any of the previous 14.

Maybe you can't buy a jet after hitting a $15 million jackpot, but you can still buy a first class ticket on somebody else's plane and fly anywhere in the World.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: July 8, 2007, 2:44 am - IP Logged

Maybe some of our members here that are picayune about playing only when a jackpot is up to a certain amount are challenging the fates. 

Most of us would agree that hitting a jackpot is luck, and maybe part of that luck is "the lotto fairy" looking on you favorably. And just maybe the lotto fairy has decided that "Timmy Ulm from up 'Nort" is going to win the jackpot next Wednesday. 

But gee, on that day that he was going to hit the jackpot, it was only $15 million do he decides not to play - and goes on playing the rest of his life chasing a jackpot he's never going to hit, because he passed up his chance.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: July 8, 2007, 3:28 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss, you do have a point about fate. Now you know why I won't miss a drawing no matter what the size of the Lotto jackpot is, because I have no idea when my lucky day will be.  Of course any day I can watch the sunset (tonight was magnificent) is my lucky day.  I just want to be rich and lucky!  Thank you Coin Toss & Stack for answering.  I know we all have our silly lottery idiosyncrasies, so I'm not judging people who only play a game when the jackpot grows.  I was mainly referring to the comments that pooh-pooh a $15 or $20 million jackpot when it's probably more money than any of us will see in a lifetime.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: July 8, 2007, 5:40 am - IP Logged

Maybe some of our members here that are picayune about playing only when a jackpot is up to a certain amount are challenging the fates. 

Most of us would agree that hitting a jackpot is luck, and maybe part of that luck is "the lotto fairy" looking on you favorably. And just maybe the lotto fairy has decided that "Timmy Ulm from up 'Nort" is going to win the jackpot next Wednesday. 

But gee, on that day that he was going to hit the jackpot, it was only $15 million do he decides not to play - and goes on playing the rest of his life chasing a jackpot he's never going to hit, because he passed up his chance.

CT, I 'd have to go look, but how often does one state hit it twice in a row ?

How about three times in a row ?

So...... that begs the question, if someone in, for example, Oklahoma hits it, if I live in Oklahoma, do I stop playing until a couple other states hit it, and then resume playing ?? 

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: July 8, 2007, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

guesser

Not sure that matters at all...just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.  

The Powerball and Mega Millions states with the largest populations probbly have the most winners.

A lot of people couldn't wait for California to become a Mega Millions state, with the media hype about potential $500,000 jackpots. Many of those same people now get upset when a Californian is the jackpot winner.

As for "repeat" winners, you might want to look up:

"Lottery + Wisconsin + Miracle Mile". 

Lep

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: July 8, 2007, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

From what you are writing, Guesser, it sounds as if you don't think the drawings are random.  If that's the case, and it's not just plain luck, then I might as well move to Miami since it seems I have the opposite situation here with most of the Florida games, including the recent raffle, having a large number of winners in Miami-Dade County. 

True, that someone who wins MM in a small MA town in the Berkshires might never have a neighbor who also wins, but that's not to say it can't happen.  I mean, let's say I play my favorite numbers, a combination of birthdays and ages, does it matter where the number is drawn or are you only referring to Quick Picks? 

Anyway, if someone travels to another state that hasn't had a winner in a long time, he would be making several stops along the way.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: July 8, 2007, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

You folks have bad memories, we've been through this:

Not too long ago we discussed the winners, how there were more from Idaho or Wyoming, or even an Iowa - a sparse state regardless of which one - when there were none from Pennsylvania.   *BUT* go back a few years, and there were winners from PA.

And don't be putting words in my mouth - I didn't say the lottery is not random.

Having to explain YET AGAIN, if you read my first posting, I simply asked how often one state will win consecutive jackpots-in-a-row.  I'm sure it's happened, but I don't think it's too often. 

Update:

OK, I did some quickie research:

I went back to just Late/2003, we've had around 44 Powerball jackpot winners since then, and of those, this is the consecutive states hit:

IND 10/25/03 (shr) - 10/29/03 - 11/05/03 - three in a row

PA    5/8/04 - 5/29/04

MN   7/7/04 - 8/14/04

PA  12/8/04 - 12/22/04 (shr)

MO  2/18/06 - 4/12/06

So it DOES happen, and more often that I would have guessed. 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                              Member #2338
                              September 17, 2003
                              2063 Posts
                              Posted: July 9, 2007, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Only game that's growing in the big three is Euromillions but who knows if it can even get to the tenth roll on August 24th.

Only game I'm getting tickets for now is Oregon's Megabucks since the odds are pretty low and the jackpot broke 20 million.

Too bad you only really get about 28% of the prize though. I don't see any of the other games getting anywhere this summer.