Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Finally, one's growing!

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #51688
April 19, 2007
200 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2007, 1:00 am - IP Logged

I guess I'll get "yelled at" but on a similar MM thread I just commented that I don't understand why, if someone is going to bet $1 anyway, winning $15 million wouldn't be exciting.  It totally boggles my mind when someone says that $300 million would be enough to get on a plane to go buy a ticket but $106 million wouldn't be. 

Am I crazy or are the odds EXACTLY the same when the jackpot is $15 million or $300 million (except there's probably a greater chance of 2 people hitting it when the buying frenzy begins.)

xploring  you  got  it  stright ,play  till  you  win  and  your  chances  are  the  same  except  in  a  quick  pick situation...try  to buy  your  QP  at  the  busyest  store  for  lottery  or  in  the  large  city;

just  seems  that  more  they  sell  the  better  yoour  odds ;change  your  colors ...never  wear  RED  ,ORANGE  OR  DARK BROWN  ....never  have a  person  of  the  sam  sex  play  your  ticket  or  be  behind  you  in  the  line ;even  if  it  means  going  to another  store  or  several  untill  you  find  the  perfect  location  and  correct  colors;  but  most  of  all  to  be - Lucky -is  to  feel  very positive  about  yourself  and  others  in  yourlife  and  you  will  always  be  a  winner;

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: July 9, 2007, 1:48 am - IP Logged

You folks have bad memories, we've been through this:

Not too long ago we discussed the winners, how there were more from Idaho or Wyoming, or even an Iowa - a sparse state regardless of which one - when there were none from Pennsylvania.   *BUT* go back a few years, and there were winners from PA.

And don't be putting words in my mouth - I didn't say the lottery is not random.

Having to explain YET AGAIN, if you read my first posting, I simply asked how often one state will win consecutive jackpots-in-a-row.  I'm sure it's happened, but I don't think it's too often. 

Update:

OK, I did some quickie research:

I went back to just Late/2003, we've had around 44 Powerball jackpot winners since then, and of those, this is the consecutive states hit:

IND 10/25/03 (shr) - 10/29/03 - 11/05/03 - three in a row

PA    5/8/04 - 5/29/04

MN   7/7/04 - 8/14/04

PA  12/8/04 - 12/22/04 (shr)

MO  2/18/06 - 4/12/06

So it DOES happen, and more often that I would have guessed. 

Maybe it's that people have good memories, and  remember your previous posts and know that you spend a lot of time pondering the odds of  things repeating in one fashion or another. What are the chances of 3 numbers from last drawing repeating? What are the odds of a winner from the same state? On and on. The answer is always the same. The odds are exactly the same as they were before the previous event happened, because the odds aren't determined by what happened last week, last month, or last year.Your questions suggest that if you believe the lottery is random you don't understand what that really means. For almost any question you might come up with the answer will be that it's unlikely, very unlikely, or extremely unlikely, but that's because the lottery is all about results with very low probabilities. The reason consecutive winners aren't usually from the same state is the same reason that rolling a die twice doesn't usually result in the same numbe: the other possible outcomes are more numerous. If you roll a 1 on the first roll there are 6 numbers that could come up on the next roll, and most of them aren't a 1. I'm guessing you don't need help in figuring out the chances of rolling another 1, or of not rolling another 1. The numbers are different, but the lottery works exactly the same way.