Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if you won...

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LuckyLilly.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you and some friends bought some powerball slips and you each picked one and your slip won-

share with your friends [ 15 ]  [57.69%]
buy each friend a little something [ 8 ]  [30.77%]
sorry to bad I picked the winner [ 3 ]  [11.54%]
buy each a friend a q.p. for next draw [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 26 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
angelm's avatar - anne
richmond ky.
United States
Member #15877
May 22, 2005
8472 Posts
Posted: July 17, 2007, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I think I would at least buy each friend a little something and a q.p. for the next drawEmbarassed

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
    Member #50124
    February 26, 2007
    601 Posts
    Posted: July 17, 2007, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

I can't answer your poll, cuz I'd never in a million years do that.  And I can't think of one reason why anyone would.  If you all wanted a ticket, why not just purchase your own?  Or if you wanted to do something as a group, why not have a pool and an agreement that the tickets belong to all of you, and if one ticket won, everyone who contributed got an equal share?  

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2007, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Who paid for the ticket? Did every one go dibs?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

angelm's avatar - anne
        richmond ky.
        United States
        Member #15877
        May 22, 2005
        8472 Posts
        Posted: July 17, 2007, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

Who paid for the ticket? Did every one go dibs?

Yes but you got to choose your slip

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: July 17, 2007, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

If there was an established pool, then of course I would split the jackpot.  I think it's always best to put things in writing.  However, if I promised some friends I would share my winnings, of course I would never back down on my word.  Otherwise, like Lilly said, I would never buy tickets with anyone else.  Too many problems could result from that situation.  I'm sure it happens all the time however.  If I were ever in a pool I would want the tickets to be all quick picks.

In the situation you are describing, I think it would be best to keep all the slips in a pile so an individual couldn't claim possession.  To me, that would be like a pool.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19826 Posts
            Posted: July 17, 2007, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

For me buying lottery tickets is as personal as saving money or paying bills, I don't include friends in the process.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
              mississippi
              United States
              Member #34478
              March 3, 2006
              5903 Posts
              Posted: July 17, 2007, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

Well me and my Brother went to play some powerball and pic 3 tickets for Louisiana today and something very similiar to this poll happened..my brother picked all 5 powerball numbers for all 5 panels..then he selected 5 white balls for one panel..and told me to pick the 5 white balls for the other 4 panels..kinda like what you were asking about Angel...but it is my brother and we always agree to split anything we win anyway..so..he would get half of whatever we win ..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Amber88's avatar - praying hands.jpg
                KENTUCKY
                United States
                Member #40028
                May 26, 2006
                578 Posts
                Posted: July 17, 2007, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

If I were with friends, and we each had a choice of which ticket we wanted, and I chose the winning one, then I would not feel obligated to share the jackpot. I would, of course, give them something. Now if I was with my mom, I would split it, because we always do.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                  Magnolia, Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #18795
                  July 20, 2005
                  789 Posts
                  Posted: July 18, 2007, 9:14 am - IP Logged

I say, I picked the winning ticket, to bad so sad! The reason behind that is the plain and simple fact that Any one of the other friends could have been the lucky one in choosing the winning ticket! To me, that's called the luck of the draw by your own hand!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

lottoqueen29's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg
                    tExAs
                    United States
                    Member #51341
                    April 6, 2007
                    12 Posts
                    Posted: July 18, 2007, 9:38 am - IP Logged

I picked share with friends.  Any time I buy tickets with a group FRIENDS or FAMILY, it is understood that we share.  I would never just buy tickets and say pick one.  If one wins, everyone wins.

"The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate evil than from those who actively commit it."

Albert Einstein

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: July 18, 2007, 10:38 am - IP Logged

The question is, if THEY won, would they share with me ?

Westerose
                        Canada
                        Member #52915
                        June 15, 2007
                        189 Posts
                        Posted: July 19, 2007, 1:25 am - IP Logged

I would not do anything like that. Except for this my Wife is my Best Friend and that is that.

In my past I had some friends that I said I would have share Jackpots with in talking about winning a large Jackpot.....      But funny thing is when they (and mind you these were close friends one of whom I let stay at my house a number of times when they were on hard times).

So anyway in their "what if I won the lottery dreams" that they shared what they would do not one included me in that "what if"

So ya know what....Now, I am playing purely for myself and my immeadiate family...

The friend who kept needing to stay with me included family members in this "what if" dreams that didn't help him out as much as I did.

If they or any of you win well I will be happy for them or you.... however when it comes to my own play it's just for my immeadiate family and only when it gets at an amount that I would want to win.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          699 Posts
                          Posted: July 28, 2007, 10:36 am - IP Logged

The question is a little vague.  If it were a case of all of you just got in line and bought your own tickets and you picked your own numbers that would be one thing, but if all of you agreed to pool your money for tickets, that would be another.  I run a Powerball and Lotto pool down at my work and if any of the pool tickets win, we all split it.  

I also buy my own personal tickets which I keep separate.  If my personal tickets win, the money is all mine, after the taxman and my creditors of course<grin>.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Baton Rouge, LA
                            United States
                            Member #4602
                            May 7, 2004
                            699 Posts
                            Posted: July 28, 2007, 10:37 am - IP Logged

The question is, if THEY won, would they share with me ?

Very good point.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                              Magnolia, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #18795
                              July 20, 2005
                              789 Posts
                              Posted: July 28, 2007, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Here is the question as it was Posted ------- 

If you and some friends bought some powerball slips and you each picked one and your slip won-

As I understand the question, it's each of the friends choose their ticket from the ones that had been purchased! This is just an example>>> Lets just say 5 friends pooled money for 5- Five dollar QP's t(hats 25 dollars total). Then each of the friends picks one of the five dollar QP slips as their own! The key words in the original question is "you each pick one". And the key words in my example is "each of the friends picks one"). 

I guess some people need it to be spelled out completely to eliminate all other possibilities of interruption!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up