Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Charity

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What percent of a Jackpot would you give to local charities?

One percent [ 4 ]  [10.81%]
Two [ 4 ]  [10.81%]
tree [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
for [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
5 [ 3 ]  [8.11%]
6 percent [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
ate [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
9 [ 3 ]  [8.11%]
other? [ 21 ]  [56.76%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: July 19, 2007, 1:36 am - IP Logged

I personally would give about 5 percent to the local food out-reach.

I want to specify local, and not huge organizers.

How much to your local, or whatever trusting group you think can truly benefit, and reliable?

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31539 Posts
    Posted: July 19, 2007, 2:09 am - IP Logged

About 10% to local animal shelters.

Kitty 5     Puppies 

love to nibble those micey feet.

Westerose
      Canada
      Member #52915
      June 15, 2007
      189 Posts
      Posted: July 19, 2007, 2:11 am - IP Logged

Publically I would give nothing to charity whatsoever. For the purposes of this question in regards to a lottery jackpot win my answer would also be none. What I would actually do is another matter.

However with laws of attraction I feel that is better to live in gratitude of what is given to you if you want to attract more from God, The Universe, The Source, whatever you choose to call it.

Karma is not a reverse deal. IE Karma does not pay you based on your intentions to do good in the future. However your gratitude for what has been done for you or given to you does aid in the attraction of more good into your life.

Some people feel good about giving to Charities. I do not. I do not feel good about people or things having problems that I have to help them out with to make me feel good. This is what at times people fail to remember in order for them to get "The High" that is associated with helping out it means that someone or something had to have a problem in the first place. I will never feel good about the misfortunes of other living creatures. Never. I just won't do it.

When someone has had a house fire and I give them food or clothing I don't walk away with a good feeling about it. I walk away sad that they had this tragedy where they needed help. When a cat is left at our farm and we feed it and spay or neuter it I don't feel good about doing that I feel bad that people were that irresponsible with the animal leaving it at our doorstep and not being responsible enough to have that cat's parents spayed or neutered.

Anything that I did would be private and publically I would rather be viewed as a person who just could not be bothered by these things. However that being said I will live in gratitude of what has been given me and live a very happy life and show others how to attract their dreams as well.

The best thing you can do for other is to help them achive their dreams as well. At times charities keep people in a downward spiral. I want to see people in an upward spiral where there is no need of charities.

However I think for me at this point money would best be served buying up certain tracts of land locally to halt cutting down trees and building up too much around the lakes here.  Really there aren't poor folk around us for over 100 or more miles, even then limited. Only local charity is the libary or person here or there in the community who's had a house fire, death, or illness who might need help til insurance kicks in.

It's Alberta and if you can't get a job here you either can't work cos of illness in which case the government steps in or you simply don't wanna work.

So that only leaves environmental charities and well we who are involved with saving the environment in our area can do alot more by keeping tracts of land natural by buying those tracts of land ourselves then some wide-eyed city kids in an offices trying to get donations to save the trees. Wanna save the trees in my area just buy the land and don't let anyone build a house on it. lol

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
        Florida
        United States
        Member #6147
        August 8, 2004
        1396 Posts
        Posted: July 19, 2007, 5:55 am - IP Logged

I don't have a set amount in mind; I would give what I could when I was able.  Right now, also without a set amount in mind, I give to the food pantry, to AIDS support groups, animal rescue shelters, my church, etc. These are all local groups.    I give as I am able, and would continue the same if I won it big.

Good Luck!

Stavros

Lkydeb*594's avatar - kissdollarbill
          Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
          Member #38062
          April 23, 2006
          12654 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2007, 10:29 am - IP Logged

About 10% to local animal shelters.

Kitty 5     Puppies 

I'm with u, miss kitty.   They r our best friends in need of help. 

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2007, 10:55 am - IP Logged

I'm with u, miss kitty.   They r our best friends in need of help. 

I Agree! I Agree!  I Agree!

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2679 Posts
              Posted: July 20, 2007, 8:02 am - IP Logged

I'd probably donate to the local shelters too and the fine folks @ batcon.org

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5143 Posts
                Posted: July 20, 2007, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

voted other>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

claws I would set-up ^^^^^^

ah trustfund just for ...OD...&

appoint Vick the administrator to HANDLE all pitdog FIGHT$$$$$$$

OD is a big>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BAD & NICE......KAT.

(not try'n to be FUNNY<<<<<<<<<<<<<< OD can L@@K-OUT !!!!!)

for HIMSELF>>>>>>>Lottery Balls>>>>>> & RNG'ssss$$$$ TOO!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1958 Posts
                  Posted: July 20, 2007, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

I don't have a certain percentage. The amount I give to charity depends on how much I win.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                    Member #14
                    November 9, 2001
                    31539 Posts
                    Posted: July 20, 2007, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

voted other>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

claws I would set-up ^^^^^^

ah trustfund just for ...OD...&

appoint Vick the administrator to HANDLE all pitdog FIGHT$$$$$$$

OD is a big>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BAD & NICE......KAT.

(not try'n to be FUNNY<<<<<<<<<<<<<< OD can L@@K-OUT !!!!!)

for HIMSELF>>>>>>>Lottery Balls>>>>>> & RNG'ssss$$$$ TOO!

i'd like to put vick in a cage with some cats

Lion     Tiger 

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2679 Posts
                      Posted: July 21, 2007, 7:38 am - IP Logged

Lion     Tiger 

Roll Eyes nah I couldn't be that cruel to the cats

personally I tink type people ought to be fed to a pack of rabid animals Evil Smile

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                        Washington State
                        United States
                        Member #33973
                        February 26, 2006
                        347 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2007, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

The amount I'd give to local charities would vary considerably depending upon how large the jackpot was.  After all, there would be a lot more discretionary funds available with a $100 million MegaMillion win, for example, than a $1 million state jackpot.

Among the local charities I'd support if the win was great enough would be the local Progressive Animal Welfare Society (PAWS), the Women's Shelter, our public library, local food banks, the local fire department, and scholarships to graduates of the local high school. 

Coastal Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #2653
                          October 30, 2003
                          1866 Posts
                          Posted: July 22, 2007, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Lion     Tiger 

Personally,  I would love to see Vick (upon conviction) in an orange jumpsuit cleaning out animal cages at the shelters

All those Vick jerseys ... I think I'll start a service to remove the V from the name on back and replace it with an S.

Because that's exactly what it is.... SICK.

United States
                            Member #14
                            November 9, 2001
                            31539 Posts
                            Posted: July 22, 2007, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Personally,  I would love to see Vick (upon conviction) in an orange jumpsuit cleaning out animal cages at the shelters

All those Vick jerseys ... I think I'll start a service to remove the V from the name on back and replace it with an S.

Because that's exactly what it is.... SICK.

oh - I like that alot.!

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                              McKinney/Texas
                              United States
                              Member #47363
                              November 1, 2006
                              706 Posts
                              Posted: July 22, 2007, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

I believe in what God says in his word to us - the bible. He demands a TITHE. A TITHE means one-tenth and IT DOES NOT MEAN 1/10TH OF TAKE HOME!!! IT MEANS 1/10TH OF YOUR GROSS INCOME. WARNING: THERE IS A CURSE GIVEN TO ALL WHO DO NOT TITHE. Look it up and read for yourself.

MALACHI 3:8-10 KJV

8  Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In TITHES AND OFFERINGS.

9 Ye ARE CURSED WITH A CURSE: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10  Bring ye all the TITHES into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

The first time I used Duke in Texas Pick 3 was in November of last year - Nov 22, 2006 I believe - just before Thanksgiving. I won $820.

As I was walking into the Albertson's store here in McKinney, I noticed a Salvation Army truck in front as well as a local radio station truck. I told the young college kids manning the Salvation Army truck that I would give them 10% of my winnings. I was such a GREEN-HORN or PICK 3 NEWBIE, I was not exactly sure of how much I had won.

When I left the store, I returned to the Salvation Army truck as I had promised. I had several one-hundred bills. I wanted to give them $82, but they did not have change. So, I said, "Well then - guess I'll have to give more than 10% and gave them a one-hundred dollar bill." These kids were so excited, and they started hugging me and jumping up and down. What a wonderful feeling. I told myself that if I ever win the BIG ONE, I'll go around giving money away to folks who really need it.

As I was approaching my car, I could hear the college kids yelling at me. "Sir! Sir! Come here!" So, I returned to the Salvation Army truck. They told me that the man from the radio station wanted to talk with me. As I approached him, he stuck a microphone in front of me and asked me my name. I said, "My name is Henny Bogan". He asked me to explain to all of the folks in radioland what had just happened. I stated, "Well, I just won $820 in the Texas Pick 3 lottery". He then asked, "And what did you do with some of that money?" "Well, I gave $100 to The Salvation Army".

And he said, "There you have it ladies and gentlemen - an example of what Thanksgiving is all about". It was a very emotional experience for me, and I will never, ever forget it.

Ephesians 3:20