Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Charity

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What percent of a Jackpot would you give to local charities?

One percent [ 4 ]  [10.81%]
Two [ 4 ]  [10.81%]
tree [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
for [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
5 [ 3 ]  [8.11%]
6 percent [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
ate [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
9 [ 3 ]  [8.11%]
other? [ 21 ]  [56.76%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Amber88's avatar - praying hands.jpg
KENTUCKY
United States
Member #40028
May 26, 2006
578 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2007, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

This is a nice post hennybogan. Thanks for sharing it.

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    McKinney/Texas
    United States
    Member #47363
    November 1, 2006
    706 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2007, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Amber.

Ephesians 3:20

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #14
      November 9, 2001
      31542 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2007, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I believe in what God says in his word to us - the bible. He demands a TITHE. A TITHE means one-tenth and IT DOES NOT MEAN 1/10TH OF TAKE HOME!!! IT MEANS 1/10TH OF YOUR GROSS INCOME. WARNING: THERE IS A CURSE GIVEN TO ALL WHO DO NOT TITHE. Look it up and read for yourself.

MALACHI 3:8-10 KJV

8  Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In TITHES AND OFFERINGS.

9 Ye ARE CURSED WITH A CURSE: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10  Bring ye all the TITHES into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

The first time I used Duke in Texas Pick 3 was in November of last year - Nov 22, 2006 I believe - just before Thanksgiving. I won $820.

As I was walking into the Albertson's store here in McKinney, I noticed a Salvation Army truck in front as well as a local radio station truck. I told the young college kids manning the Salvation Army truck that I would give them 10% of my winnings. I was such a GREEN-HORN or PICK 3 NEWBIE, I was not exactly sure of how much I had won.

When I left the store, I returned to the Salvation Army truck as I had promised. I had several one-hundred bills. I wanted to give them $82, but they did not have change. So, I said, "Well then - guess I'll have to give more than 10% and gave them a one-hundred dollar bill." These kids were so excited, and they started hugging me and jumping up and down. What a wonderful feeling. I told myself that if I ever win the BIG ONE, I'll go around giving money away to folks who really need it.

As I was approaching my car, I could hear the college kids yelling at me. "Sir! Sir! Come here!" So, I returned to the Salvation Army truck. They told me that the man from the radio station wanted to talk with me. As I approached him, he stuck a microphone in front of me and asked me my name. I said, "My name is Henny Bogan". He asked me to explain to all of the folks in radioland what had just happened. I stated, "Well, I just won $820 in the Texas Pick 3 lottery". He then asked, "And what did you do with some of that money?" "Well, I gave $100 to The Salvation Army".

And he said, "There you have it ladies and gentlemen - an example of what Thanksgiving is all about". It was a very emotional experience for me, and I will never, ever forget it.

Now that got me all misty eyed.  I think I love you!!!!

Good going.    Lovies

love to nibble those micey feet.

McKinney/Texas
        United States
        Member #47363
        November 1, 2006
        706 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2007, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Thank you emilyg. You show your love for us by "ah postin all them great pairs". Duke would really lick your feet if he ever met you.

Have many hundreds of true life changing stories like the above. I have them in an unfinished book.

YOU HAVE MOTIVATED ME TO FINISH THE BOOK NOW.

Entertaiment Capital
          United States
          Member #37800
          April 19, 2006
          302 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2007, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

I'd put most of the prize into something that can generate incomes, then I'd donate about 15% of the incomes to Disabled American Veterans.

McKinney/Texas
            United States
            Member #47363
            November 1, 2006
            706 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2007, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Everybody Says This Is A Neat Story

Growing up very close to the Indianapolis 500 track certainly had its advantages.  My step father, Robert L. Dillman, sold Fords from about 1943 until 1952.  We lived at 1401 Exeter from 1943 until sometime in 1952.  As you travel east on 16th street from the track, you will hit Exeter about one-half of a mile from the famous brickyard.  I grew up hearing the roar of Offenhauser engines screaming around the most beautiful track in the world.  I am certain my step-dad let it be known amongst the drivers that he lived very close to the track.  He also told them he had plenty of room for the driver and his family.  He probably got free pit passes, qualifying passes, and several tickets for the race.

There were three drivers that stayed with us during the years, but in 1951 Lee Wallard and his family were our guests.  I can remember Lee and his wife, and I think he might have had some children, I just can’t recall.

I do remember praying at the family dinner table that Lee would qualify for the race.  From my many years of watching the race, that seems to be the most pressure on the drivers, pit crews, and owners.  I found out many years later that his number 99 Belinger Special was built in 30 days.  It looked like a big midget automobile, and was almost a joke compared to many of the other cars in the field.  The car sits today in the Indy 500 Museum between turns one and two.  I still think it is the most beautiful car to ever run at Indy.  The color of the car is a magnificent blue with gold numbers 99.

We did not have a shower back then.  We had a bathtub.  Boy, did I hate to take a bath.  The bath felt good, but it was afterwards that really bugged me.  I had to scrub the bathtub out for the next guy with steel wool and Ajax clenser.  But, I do have one really great memory of our bathtub at 1401 Exeter.

Lee Wallard was taking a bath and I was sitting on top of the closed toilet lid talking with him.  He asked me, “Pierre, what do you want to be when you grow up?”  I replied, “Oh Mr. Wallard, I want to grow up and be a race driver just like you!”

Not only did God hear our prayers and allow Lee to qualify on the front row of the race, Lee Wallard won the 1951 Indianapolis 500 against all odds.  It was the hottest Indy 500 on record, with many teams having relief drivers.  Back then their speeds were about 135 mph compared to the 200+ mph of today’s cars.  Lee drove the entire race, refusing to use a relief driver and lost 20-30 pounds in the process.

The next morning many, many people congregated in our front yard and on the street.  Race day evening, Lee parked his Indy Pace Car with his beautiful blue number 99 Belinger Special on a trailer attached to his pace car.  That is my first memory of an Indy 500 Official Pace Car.

Several years later, 1956 to be exact, God allowed me to win the Indianapolis Soap Box Derby out of around 265 boys from ages 11-15.  My name was Pierre Dillman at the time, and my picture was on the front page of the Indianapolis Star.  The promoter of the Soap Box Derby promised my mother and I that I would get to ride in the Indy 500 Pace Car during the 1957 Indy 500.  But, as fate would have it, we moved down to Jacksonville Beach, Florida before the 1957 Indy 500 and I never got my ride in the pace car. 

In May of 1993, I flew to Indy to see the “GREATEST SPECTACLE IN RACING”.  Before I left the house, my wife asked me to write down the leader of laps 1, 100, and 200 as I watched the race.  She enters contests on a very consistent basis.  When I arrived back home from the race, I shared with her the information she needed for the contest, and we both forgot about it.  The contest was in Parade magazine sand we figured at least one million people probably entered.

In the fall of 1993, I arrived home in Carrollton, Texas to see a really fancy car in front of our home.  I was very tired from my business trip, and thought it must belong to a young man seeing our oldest daughter, who was 17 at the time.  My wife was on the phone, totally ignoring me.  I was starting to get a little upset.  Out of town on business for a week, and this is how I get treated when I return home?  But, my daughters seemed to be up to something good!  Finally, my wife got off of the telephone.  She grabbed my hand and started walking for the front door.  Our two daughters were right there with us.  As we walked out to the front curb in front of our house, I saw the most beautiful car I have ever seen in my life.  It was a beautiful black and white striped 1993 Indy 500 Pace Car, Z28 Camaro.  I asked, “Who’s car is this!?” Our daughters squeeled and said, “Daddy, this is YOUR CAR!  Mommie won it for you!”  My wife then apologized for ignoring me, and explained she was talking to our auto insurance company to verify we had coverage on our new Indy 500 Pace Car.  Seems they had just delivered the car to our home shortly before I arrived home from my business trip in Orlando.

It was only natural for us to get customized plates for our gift from God.  Since I never got to ride in the 1957 Indy Pace Car, we got personalized Texas license plates that read:

INDY57

Memories of the incident on the sidewalk many years before are growing dimmer.

Ephesians 3:20  Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above ALL that we ASK OR THINK, according to the power that worketh in us…..

OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!

McKinney/Texas
              United States
              Member #47363
              November 1, 2006
              706 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2007, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

That Reminds Me of a True StoryBy Pete Cassidy? 2007  
              Forward

During the summer of 1978, I was teaching Algebra II to high school students in San Antonio, Texas.  The class was part of NEISD, North East Independent School District, and summer school program for all high school students living in the San Antonio area.  Sure enough, I had students from many of the different school districts in San Antonio.  I also had students in all four grade levels, freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and many seniors.  The seniors had the opportunity to participate in their graduating ceremonies the month before, but their diplomas contained an asterisk followed by the words, “UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF ALGEBRA II IN SUMMER SCHOOL”. 

I had been teaching math for the last six years in NEISD, and never had I such a motivated group of young learners.  The seniors needed to pass to graduate, and the other students wanted to take the advanced math courses in future high school years.  With all of their motivation, you would think there was no problem with class starting at 7:15AM and ending at 11:30AM each day Monday through Friday for six weeks. Wrong!

One morning while I was at the green board with a piece of chalk in my hand, trying my best to teach a difficult concept, I had a very strange and awesome sensation.  No, I did not hear any voices, just a very strong feeling.  I now know it was GOD directing me to place the chalk down in the well at the bottom of the chalk board, and to look at my students.  I mean, really take a close look at my students.  If there was a voice, it was saying to me, “Pete, look at your students! Can’t you see the stress in their faces?  Can’t you understand how very hard they are trying to learn what you are trying to teach? Well, do something Pete!  Do something to put their minds at ease. Do something to break the tension.  Your students feel what you feel.”

All of this occurred in just several seconds, but it was the most important lesson I learned about the ART OF TEACHING.  I was stunned because I knew God was helping me become what he created me to become, his teacher.  So, I said to my students, “You know, that reminds me of a true story”.  I reminisced about one of my experiences while serving in the United States Navy, and the students loved it!  Their posture changed, the frowns were replaced with smiles, and sometimes they even laughed at some of my stories.

Towards the end of the course, I had applied for and accepted a position with NCR to become a programmer COBOL analyst. The position was in Atlanta, Georgia and I was very excited about the opportunity to better provide a living for my wife and two daughters.  My students seemed genuinely happy for me as well.

On the last day of class, my students from all over San Antonio presented me with a trophy that I wish I could take to heaven with me.  Inscribed on the bottom of the trophy are these words:  THAT REMINDS ME OF A TRUE STORY

I was almost overwhelmed.  When I arrived home that afternoon, the SOLD SIGN in our front yard had been signed by all of my students.  I kept that sign for many years, but over time all of the signatures evaporated, and during one of our moves, got misplaced.

During the past nineteen years my family and Oracle students have urged me to write about the many wonderful events of my life.  This is my attempt of a positive, inspirational, and maybe even humorous at times autobiography that will hopefully bring a smile to your lips and heart.  May God richly bless and protect you from all evil.

And, that “feeling” you get ever so often, is GOD!  Listen to him.   

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: July 23, 2007, 2:59 am - IP Logged

About 10% to local animal shelters.

Kitty 5     Puppies 

DITTO.

And also some youth athletic programs in the 'bad' end of town, and also see what else I could do for kids in that end of town that are not athletic.

And in whatever amount my tax advisors tell me to. 

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5145 Posts
                  Posted: July 30, 2007, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

Everybody Says This Is A Neat Story

Growing up very close to the Indianapolis 500 track certainly had its advantages.  My step father, Robert L. Dillman, sold Fords from about 1943 until 1952.  We lived at 1401 Exeter from 1943 until sometime in 1952.  As you travel east on 16th street from the track, you will hit Exeter about one-half of a mile from the famous brickyard.  I grew up hearing the roar of Offenhauser engines screaming around the most beautiful track in the world.  I am certain my step-dad let it be known amongst the drivers that he lived very close to the track.  He also told them he had plenty of room for the driver and his family.  He probably got free pit passes, qualifying passes, and several tickets for the race.

There were three drivers that stayed with us during the years, but in 1951 Lee Wallard and his family were our guests.  I can remember Lee and his wife, and I think he might have had some children, I just can’t recall.

I do remember praying at the family dinner table that Lee would qualify for the race.  From my many years of watching the race, that seems to be the most pressure on the drivers, pit crews, and owners.  I found out many years later that his number 99 Belinger Special was built in 30 days.  It looked like a big midget automobile, and was almost a joke compared to many of the other cars in the field.  The car sits today in the Indy 500 Museum between turns one and two.  I still think it is the most beautiful car to ever run at Indy.  The color of the car is a magnificent blue with gold numbers 99.

We did not have a shower back then.  We had a bathtub.  Boy, did I hate to take a bath.  The bath felt good, but it was afterwards that really bugged me.  I had to scrub the bathtub out for the next guy with steel wool and Ajax clenser.  But, I do have one really great memory of our bathtub at 1401 Exeter.

Lee Wallard was taking a bath and I was sitting on top of the closed toilet lid talking with him.  He asked me, “Pierre, what do you want to be when you grow up?”  I replied, “Oh Mr. Wallard, I want to grow up and be a race driver just like you!”

Not only did God hear our prayers and allow Lee to qualify on the front row of the race, Lee Wallard won the 1951 Indianapolis 500 against all odds.  It was the hottest Indy 500 on record, with many teams having relief drivers.  Back then their speeds were about 135 mph compared to the 200+ mph of today’s cars.  Lee drove the entire race, refusing to use a relief driver and lost 20-30 pounds in the process.

The next morning many, many people congregated in our front yard and on the street.  Race day evening, Lee parked his Indy Pace Car with his beautiful blue number 99 Belinger Special on a trailer attached to his pace car.  That is my first memory of an Indy 500 Official Pace Car.

Several years later, 1956 to be exact, God allowed me to win the Indianapolis Soap Box Derby out of around 265 boys from ages 11-15.  My name was Pierre Dillman at the time, and my picture was on the front page of the Indianapolis Star.  The promoter of the Soap Box Derby promised my mother and I that I would get to ride in the Indy 500 Pace Car during the 1957 Indy 500.  But, as fate would have it, we moved down to Jacksonville Beach, Florida before the 1957 Indy 500 and I never got my ride in the pace car. 

In May of 1993, I flew to Indy to see the “GREATEST SPECTACLE IN RACING”.  Before I left the house, my wife asked me to write down the leader of laps 1, 100, and 200 as I watched the race.  She enters contests on a very consistent basis.  When I arrived back home from the race, I shared with her the information she needed for the contest, and we both forgot about it.  The contest was in Parade magazine sand we figured at least one million people probably entered.

In the fall of 1993, I arrived home in Carrollton, Texas to see a really fancy car in front of our home.  I was very tired from my business trip, and thought it must belong to a young man seeing our oldest daughter, who was 17 at the time.  My wife was on the phone, totally ignoring me.  I was starting to get a little upset.  Out of town on business for a week, and this is how I get treated when I return home?  But, my daughters seemed to be up to something good!  Finally, my wife got off of the telephone.  She grabbed my hand and started walking for the front door.  Our two daughters were right there with us.  As we walked out to the front curb in front of our house, I saw the most beautiful car I have ever seen in my life.  It was a beautiful black and white striped 1993 Indy 500 Pace Car, Z28 Camaro.  I asked, “Who’s car is this!?” Our daughters squeeled and said, “Daddy, this is YOUR CAR!  Mommie won it for you!”  My wife then apologized for ignoring me, and explained she was talking to our auto insurance company to verify we had coverage on our new Indy 500 Pace Car.  Seems they had just delivered the car to our home shortly before I arrived home from my business trip in Orlando.

It was only natural for us to get customized plates for our gift from God.  Since I never got to ride in the 1957 Indy Pace Car, we got personalized Texas license plates that read:

INDY57

Memories of the incident on the sidewalk many years before are growing dimmer.

Ephesians 3:20  Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above ALL that we ASK OR THINK, according to the power that worketh in us…..

OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!

hennybogan:

This is a great^^^^^ STORY^^^^^^^^^^^

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANK'SSS

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT & ALWAY'SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS a BUTTTTTT

"CORVETTE" (is THE)

AMERICAN DREAM^

(ALL my KUZ'ins.............drive FORD's..........what DO U LIKE/????)

BUT, with ALL of the CHOICE of WEALTH & CAR's>>>>>>>>>>>

PSYKOMO really BELIEVE'SSSSSSSSS ..................>>>>>>>>>>>

ALL Lottery POST >>>>>>>>>>>>>JACKPOT winner's WOULD>

give 20% of d pot

LOL

PSYKOMO 

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5145 Posts
                    Posted: July 30, 2007, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

hennybogan:

This is a great^^^^^ STORY^^^^^^^^^^^

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANK'SSS

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT & ALWAY'SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS a BUTTTTTT

"CORVETTE" (is THE)

AMERICAN DREAM^

(ALL my KUZ'ins.............drive FORD's..........what DO U LIKE/????)

BUT, with ALL of the CHOICE of WEALTH & CAR's>>>>>>>>>>>

PSYKOMO really BELIEVE'SSSSSSSSS ..................>>>>>>>>>>>

ALL Lottery POST >>>>>>>>>>>>>JACKPOT winner's WOULD>

give 20% of d pot

LOL

PSYKOMO 

KLAUSE>>LP(member's) R

very^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ VERY $MART ^^^^

they give/W^^^^^^^HEART^^^^^^

(VETT'sssssssssss  ^^^^^^^^^^ better than viper's....)

SantaSmiley SantaSnowmanNoelChristmasYellow Eyes......wishful thinkin otter car <<<<,<OWNER'SS!

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: August 4, 2007, 2:37 am - IP Logged

If I win, 1% goes to charities as my vote.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: August 4, 2007, 2:54 am - IP Logged

I don't think of what I give in percentages.  I know it's better to have a system, but if I had $100 million I might give more than 1/2 of it away depending on my age. I mean, it won't do me any good 6 feet under.  If I won $5 million it would be a lot less.