Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Is this a Quick Pick or not?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 9 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If your numbers come from an RNG besides the lotto terminal

Yup, it's still a quick pick [ 17 ]  [41.46%]
No, you filled out the playslip [ 14 ]  [34.15%]
Good question, I don't know [ 8 ]  [19.51%]
Other [ 2 ]  [4.88%]
Total Valid Votes [ 41 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10354 Posts
Posted: August 7, 2007, 2:25 am - IP Logged

If you get your numbers from a RNG other than the lottery terminal, do you still consdier them a quick pick or not?

Whether they are from a "Lucky Number" weight scale at a truck stop, a Magic 8 Ball, a website (the quick pickes here at LP or another site), would you say they're QP's or not?

The lottery would not count them as such because you filled out the playslip and you marked the numbers, not QP on the slip, but are they really not a quick pick? 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7322 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2007, 2:40 am - IP Logged

If you get your numbers from a RNG other than the lottery terminal, do you still consdier them a quick pick or not?

Whether they are from a "Lucky Number" weight scale at a truck stop, a Magic 8 Ball, a website (the quick pickes here at LP or another site), would you say they're QP's or not?

The lottery would not count them as such because you filled out the playslip and you marked the numbers, not QP on the slip, but are they really not a quick pick? 

That depends if all the QPs are random. Have you ever had or seen a QP from a 6 number lotto that was 1-2-3-4-5-6 or 44-45-46-47-48-49?

It's possible there are filters that prevent combinations like that being sold as QPs. If that's true a lottery could filter out 1/3 of the combinations and cross their fingers the jackpot will roll.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2007, 4:42 am - IP Logged

I checked "good question" because I really don't know.  I think even numbers you pick off the top of your head or because you see a license or cash register receipt that looks good are quick picks, but that's too general a description.  Numbers not based on some kind of system are random, right? Although when I think of quick picks from a terminal, I am assuming they were generated in some kind of random sequence using an algorithm. 

As I typed the above sentence, I saw Al Gore Rhythm.  I'm sure I'm not the first person who thought of this (probably years behind) but it's 4:30 in the morning, so my brain is in overdrive.  So maybe this is telling me Global Warming will have some effect on the Lottery and I should pick my numbers based on a series of random temperature readings. 

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
        FEMA Region V Camp #21
        United States
        Member #520
        July 27, 2002
        5699 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2007, 7:31 am - IP Logged

That depends if all the QPs are random. Have you ever had or seen a QP from a 6 number lotto that was 1-2-3-4-5-6 or 44-45-46-47-48-49?

It's possible there are filters that prevent combinations like that being sold as QPs. If that's true a lottery could filter out 1/3 of the combinations and cross their fingers the jackpot will roll.

Stack,

Yes...I was once sold a QP for our 5/39 game:

32-33-34-35-36

So I don't think the QP's are filtered.

To answer Coin Toss' question, there's a fine line defining QP's.  For example using an RNG to get your numbers but then filtering them for whatever reason kind of makes them not true QP's.

Here's a proposed definition of Quick Pick:  A pick that uses randomness and nothing else.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10354 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2007, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Justxploring: 

"As I typed the above sentence, I saw Al Gore Rhythm.  I'm sure I'm not the first person who thought of this (probably years behind) but it's 4:30 in the morning, so my brain is in overdrive.  So maybe this is telling me Global Warming will have some effect on the Lottery and I should pick my numbers based on a series of random temperature readings. "

And even at that, when you compare your numbers to those drawn, the drawing turns out to be a really inconvenient truth!

Scared

Rick G

Yeah, that's what I mean - things that spit out purely random numbers, no filters or anything similar.  

PS

I've had some sttraight QP's in the 5/39 too! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2007, 11:47 am - IP Logged

i voted i would call it a quick pick because when i used the gas station bathroom scale numbers i call it a quick pick and i wouldnt tell the lottery where i got the numbers from.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7322 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2007, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Stack,

Yes...I was once sold a QP for our 5/39 game:

32-33-34-35-36

So I don't think the QP's are filtered.

To answer Coin Toss' question, there's a fine line defining QP's.  For example using an RNG to get your numbers but then filtering them for whatever reason kind of makes them not true QP's.

Here's a proposed definition of Quick Pick:  A pick that uses randomness and nothing else.

I've always thought there had to be some type of filter to prevent a large number of duplicate tickets because of the fixed secondary prizes. If one state sold 100 duplicate $250,000 second prize winners in MM, they would have huge problem.

I pick and wheel my own numbers in our 5/39 game, but also know the drawing is random so the only advantage I have is if I happen to trap 3, 4, or 5 of the winning numbers. Todd's wheels have an RNG feature so I could use those numbers and do the same thing. 

A ticket with 32-33-34-35-36 is just as random as any of the other 575,756 combinations but it wouldn't look random if we bought 2 tickets and the second ticket was 33-34-35-36-37. If we buy 8 QPs and expect to see all 39 numbers then we are asking the RNG to do something else.

I'll second the motion Rick's proposed quick pick definition.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8364 Posts
                Posted: August 7, 2007, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

a quick pick is something you get at a lottery terminal. if you get numbers from anywhere other than a terminal fill out said slip then you played numbers from a different source.

when you fill out said play slip you made a determination to play some RNG numbers generated by an outside source not generated by the lotteries terminal.

You had a choice in the matter because you could keep the RNG's generated numbers or alter them.

When you buy a quick pick you have no say so in the matter. Other than to cancel the ticket and since you cant cancel Mega or powerball quick picks your stuck with the tickets like it or not.  

In a sense of the word RNG's might be considered quick picks but only if you don't alter them. if you alter the RNG quick picks then you have chose numbers other than what were generated.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: August 7, 2007, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

If the ticket says QP, Easy Pick or whatever, printed on it by the issuing game lottery terminal is what makes it a QP.  Any numbers you request on slip or otherwise will NOT print the letters to identify it as being deemed a QP on the ticket,  therefore from the perspective of the game officials it is not a QP.

You can think in your mind whatever or however you got it.  But what is printed on the ticket is what counts. IMHO.

So after you hit the jackpot you can tell the world you picked the numbers because QP isn't printed on the ticket.  Now if it has QP on it.......

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7322 Posts
                    Posted: August 7, 2007, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

If the ticket says QP, Easy Pick or whatever, printed on it by the issuing game lottery terminal is what makes it a QP.  Any numbers you request on slip or otherwise will NOT print the letters to identify it as being deemed a QP on the ticket,  therefore from the perspective of the game officials it is not a QP.

You can think in your mind whatever or however you got it.  But what is printed on the ticket is what counts. IMHO.

So after you hit the jackpot you can tell the world you picked the numbers because QP isn't printed on the ticket.  Now if it has QP on it.......

"therefore from the perspective of the game officials it is not a QP."

I Agree! The state lotteries offer a choice, we can pick our own numbers or let their machines pick the numbers for us. So even if we used an identical RNG to pick our numbers, it would not be a QP.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: August 7, 2007, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

When you take the time to fill out a play slip, you're controlling the numbers a terminal will print on your ticket regardless of how you came up with them and to me that is not a quick pick.  Quick picks are the numbers a terminal prints randomly totally on its own and are usually noted as such on the ticket. 

The only restrictions or filters a terminal printing QPs can have are those imposed by the game for example for a pick3 game there must be three numbers from 0-9 and they can be printed more than once per line and for a lottery games all the numbers must be in the parameters of the game and can only be printed once per line.

I use randomness within parameters that I choose such as sums, gaps, ranges and positions to pick the combinations I play but they are not QP because I make out a play slip for the terminal to use as a guide to print out my ticket.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: August 7, 2007, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Good question, but my vote is Quick Pick as usual.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23277 Posts
                          Posted: August 7, 2007, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I would say anything that involves a RNG picking your numbers qualifies as a Quick Pick, whether it is at the store or on your computer (or anywhere else).  It's a pretty broad term.

Of course, others would have a valid point if they disagreed.  A Quick Pick could also be thought of as the very specific selection of numbers from the lottery machine.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19831 Posts
                            Posted: August 7, 2007, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Under that definition almost every combination I play would be a QP even though I fill out play slips every time I play. 

I know which numbers I want in my combinations and how I would like them distributed but there could be thousands of possible combinations so I use a computer program with an RNG to pick 10 or more lines to play because it's the fastest way to do it and still have a good mix of all the numbers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3475 Posts
                              Posted: August 7, 2007, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

It's obvious that you need to define "quick pick" in order to decide if a set of numbers generated in any particular fashion is a QP. AFAIC, "quick pick" is simply a general* term for a set of numbers that were generated randomly. If that's the case then it doesn't matter exactly how the numbers were generated, as long as the process is random. That it won't be listed in the lottery's database as a QP is completely beside the point. Their datbase can give them statistics on what percentage of tickets are generated by the lottery terminals, but entires in the database aren't what determines whether or not a ticket is a QP .

*FWIW, "quick pick" isn't even a universal term for lotteries that offer a terminal-generated random combination. In some places QP's are (or were) called "EZ pick". I don't know if any other terms are used by  any of the lotteries.