Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Is this a Quick Pick or not?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 9 years ago by psykomo.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If your numbers come from an RNG besides the lotto terminal

Yup, it's still a quick pick [ 17 ]  [41.46%]
No, you filled out the playslip [ 14 ]  [34.15%]
Good question, I don't know [ 8 ]  [19.51%]
Other [ 2 ]  [4.88%]
Total Valid Votes [ 41 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: August 7, 2007, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

I've always thought there had to be some type of filter to prevent a large number of duplicate tickets because of the fixed secondary prizes. If one state sold 100 duplicate $250,000 second prize winners in MM, they would have huge problem.

I pick and wheel my own numbers in our 5/39 game, but also know the drawing is random so the only advantage I have is if I happen to trap 3, 4, or 5 of the winning numbers. Todd's wheels have an RNG feature so I could use those numbers and do the same thing. 

A ticket with 32-33-34-35-36 is just as random as any of the other 575,756 combinations but it wouldn't look random if we bought 2 tickets and the second ticket was 33-34-35-36-37. If we buy 8 QPs and expect to see all 39 numbers then we are asking the RNG to do something else.

I'll second the motion Rick's proposed quick pick definition.

Just relying on probability will almost certainly keep the lotteries safe.

If you flip a coin 10 times your sample is small enough that you could easily have a significant departure from the expected split of 50% heads and 50% tails. When you sell millions of tickets for a game with odds of 1 in 3 to 4 million for the 2nd place prize the probability of random results departing significantly are very small. When there are a lot of 2nd place winners it's generally because ticket sales were correspondingly high.

Even if there was a filter to prevent an unusually high number of duplicates it would almost never affect the outcome, and it might not  prevent an unusually high payout for QP's, anyway. For MM there are 45 5+0 combinations that pay the 2nd place prize for each of the 5+1 combinations. Limiting each 5+1 QP to only 3 duplicates could potentially still result in 135 5+0 winners.

The $390 million MM  in March produced 42 2nd place winners. Sales of 212 million tickets for that drawing and odds of 1 in 3.9 million would have suggested about 54 winners. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the lower number of winners is mostly because the non-QP tickets are skewed towards birthday numbers. If the highest number for that drawing had been 30 instead of 42 perhaps there would have been 12 more winners than expected instead of 12 fewer, but an extra $3 million in payouts is meaningless compared to $212 million in sales. Filtering the combinations picked randomly obviously won't do anything to prevent unusual occurrences that result from people deliberately choosing  duplicates of non-random numbers, such as happened with the fortune cookie PB results.

The lotteries have been safely relying on probability to generate  good profits since lotteries started, but they don't put 100% of their faith in probability to prevent unusually large payouts. The nominal prizes may be fixed, but the lotteries have the option of paying on a pari-mutuel basis if there is an unusually high number of winners.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10350 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2007, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

So some folks here in this thread are saying that if we go to the left of the page where it says Quick Picks, use that to get numbers to play, and play them, that's not a Quick Pick?

In esssence, the Quick Pick is not a quick pick?

What?

I'll go with Rick G's definition about random and random only, but consider that the lotteries tll us 70 top 80% of sales are QPs, and 70 to 80% of winners are QPs - I'm saying that it is even higher than that if you include all the tickets played using any type of quick pick devicde, not just the lottery terminals.  

Maybe one of these days we'll see a jackpot winner at a press conference says, "Well, the numbers were a quick pick, just not from the lottery's quick picks."

Smile

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2007, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

The lotteries can only track combinations printed randomly using their terminals and the combinations printed using play slips and that's what they report.  Players will alway try to confuse the facts with their own interpretations and that is one of the reason I always assume half of the stuff I read here is just someones opinion and shouldn't be taken seriously.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10350 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2007, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Making an observation that there are more quick picks played than even the lottery reports isn't an attempt to "confuse the facts".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2007, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

A Quick Pick isn't defined as "a set of numbers that were chosen from ANY RNG". We're talking about the lottery here. The term "Quick Pick" is a lottery term. A more appropriate definition would be "a set of numbers that were randomly chosen from a lottery terminal(which has its own RNG)". When a person gets a Quick Pick from the lottery terminal, and they don't like the numbers, they still have to play those numbers. If they get it from another RNG before playing, they can decide whether or not those numbers are good enough to be THEIR numbers. If they're not good enough, the person can choose another set. I don't think the only way numbers are not considered to be Quick Picks are numbers that happen to come off the top of someone's head. If a person can get a set of PREQUALIFIED numbers, like them, and play them, then those numbers are THAT person's numbers. The difference between a set of numbers chosen from any RNG and a Quick Pick chosen by a lottery terminal's RNG is that numbers from non-lottery RNG's can be prequalified. So I'm going to say no, it's not a quick pick.

Gonna win.Big Smile

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5583 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2007, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

Here is the scenario:

You just hit Powerball for $88 million dollars, WOW! The winning numbers you played came from Lottery Post's RNG!

The news flash from PowerBall headquarters:

Joe Schmoe (PBall winner) had the winning ticket, he chose his own numbers.

We asked Joe: "How did you choose your numbers?"

Joe said: I used the LotteryPost.com random number generator.

Todd thinks: "yeah baby!"

Todd gets 20,000 new members!

Happy ending.

Party

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23261 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2007, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I wonder who will be the first to mention LP in a press conference.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Kingston, Ontario
                Canada
                Member #46867
                October 5, 2006
                106 Posts
                Posted: August 7, 2007, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

I voted NO.  I am looking at this from the lottery corporations' end of it. When you win, the lotttery corporations tell the media and in its prize payouts if it was a quick pick or player picked.  Although you may mave filled out the selection slip from an RNG, in the lottery terminals eye you still picked your own numbers.  The only good thing about that would be that if you don't like the numbers QP gave you, the RNG lets you do as many as you want until you get a combination that looks good to you.  Still from the lottery end of it, it wasn't a quick pick that won.   

"Together We're Making Good Things Happen,  Ontario's Lotteries...WE ALL WIN"

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8360 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2007, 1:29 am - IP Logged

based on what i and a number of people have already said i will add this.

when you go to the lottery terminal and buy quick picks / easy picks should you win the lottery with one of them the lottery will report that the game was won using a quick pick / easy pick

if you win the lottery using a separate RNG not a lottery terminal regardless of where the numbers came from the lottery will report that the ticket that won was based on numbers the person who won selected. Unless you specify to them at the time you present your ticket that you played numbers from some RNG generated source. I don't think they will care one way or the other about your RNG and they still might report that you won using personal numbers. They may or not add that fact in the report.

Conclusion are RNG numbers quick picks? yes but only in the eyes of the person whom played them, they got them from a source other than the lottery terminal.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                    Florence, Alabama
                    United States
                    Member #8658
                    November 13, 2004
                    1993 Posts
                    Posted: August 8, 2007, 5:11 am - IP Logged

I will whenever I hit it big

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: August 8, 2007, 10:33 am - IP Logged

I will whenever I hit it big

I Agree! ill say it a few times so even if they want to edit it out it will be harder and im sure ill make it on youtube saying it

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19825 Posts
                        Posted: August 8, 2007, 11:06 am - IP Logged

I wonder who will be the first to wear a LP cap or t-shirt at a press conference.

Evil Looking       

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                          nashville
                          United States
                          Member #49896
                          February 18, 2007
                          1181 Posts
                          Posted: August 8, 2007, 11:16 am - IP Logged

I wonder who will be the first to wear a LP cap or t-shirt at a press conference.

if you wait 2-4 weeks before you claim then you have plenty of time to order the entire LP wardrobe but to be on the safe side if someone really thinks they are going to win(LOA) then they should order it now so they will already have it.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19825 Posts
                            Posted: August 8, 2007, 11:55 am - IP Logged

if you wait 2-4 weeks before you claim then you have plenty of time to order the entire LP wardrobe but to be on the safe side if someone really thinks they are going to win(LOA) then they should order it now so they will already have it.

In Ohio you don't have to win the jackpot to have your picture in the winner circle, MegaMillions  winners of $250K have been featured.

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5120 Posts
                              Posted: August 9, 2007, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

I would say anything that involves a RNG picking your numbers qualifies as a Quick Pick, whether it is at the store or on your computer (or anywhere else).  It's a pretty broad term.

Of course, others would have a valid point if they disagreed.  A Quick Pick could also be thought of as the very specific selection of numbers from the lottery machine.

THANK$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..................Todd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

........................................>>>>>>>>........>>>>>>>>>>>>"JACKPOT 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO