Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do in this situation?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 9 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: August 11, 2007, 2:54 am - IP Logged

The accidental printing on this case, would not affect the $200,000 prize like it would the jackpot where it would be divided.  Then there would have to be some legal beagles on the case.  I think.

ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
    Arizona
    United States
    Member #52803
    June 10, 2007
    88 Posts
    Posted: August 11, 2007, 3:20 am - IP Logged

Believe it or not, the sales clerk can void the ticket and not have to pay for it. I've seen them do it, at least in as far as Powerball and the Arizona lotteries are concerned.

Money can't buy you happiness, but I sure could afford the misery that it brings! Wink

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: August 11, 2007, 11:00 am - IP Logged

Believe it or not, the sales clerk can void the ticket and not have to pay for it. I've seen them do it, at least in as far as Powerball and the Arizona lotteries are concerned.

Many of the rules for PowerBall and MegaMillions are local to the state where they are played and don't apply to other states, for example with MM, California has a different payout method than the other MM states and Texas is the only state with a MM multiplier.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
        nashville
        United States
        Member #49896
        February 18, 2007
        1181 Posts
        Posted: August 11, 2007, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

Many of the rules for PowerBall and MegaMillions are local to the state where they are played and don't apply to other states, for example with MM, California has a different payout method than the other MM states and Texas is the only state with a MM multiplier.

i didnt know texas had a mm multiplier that is interesting. i wonder why georgia hasnt done that if each state can choose to make up their own rules. georgia makes so much money they dont need it but it would be nice to have a state with the mm multiplier in driving distance

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: August 11, 2007, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

There is no "cancel ticket" option so apparently every ticket sold is a valid ticket and somebody has to pay for it. Had I asked for 5 QPs but didn't like the combos, I would still had to pay for them.

I used a bet slip and there were no marks on "number of draws" and machine printed out for the next 10 draws. It was an error by the clerk and hope she got some of her money back.

Apparently the clerk in your case must have already told the machine to print tickets for 10 drawing before running your card. Most of the time when I buy tickets the clerks seem to punch one button a couple of times or more. I'm guessing they've mostly learned to hit the clear or cancel button before starting. I did have a clerk ask me for $2 after printing my single $1 ticket once. They apparently hadn't cleared the last sale, so after printing mine the machine showed the price for 2 tickets.

Oddly enough, Pennsylvania seems to have eliminated the chance to play advance drawings by marking  the PB slips. I meant to buy for 5 drawings several months ago but got a ticket for a single drawing. The little box wasn't filled in thoroughly, so I figured the machine didn't read it. The next time I wanted a ticket I used the same card, which I had marked more thoroughly and I still got a ticket for a single drawing.  When I said something the clerk told me the machine now ignores that box, and it's up to the clerk to punch a button for the number of advance drawings. Nothing like taking a relatively easy system that  relies on the customer and changing to one that  relies on the customer and the clerk and is more prone to mishaps. I'm not a fan of most conspiracy theories, but I wonder if the lotteries just figure that  the accidental tickets boost their sales by 1%.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: August 11, 2007, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

i didnt know texas had a mm multiplier that is interesting. i wonder why georgia hasnt done that if each state can choose to make up their own rules. georgia makes so much money they dont need it but it would be nice to have a state with the mm multiplier in driving distance

Didn't you ever read Todd's Megaplier petition? 

Megaplier Petition

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5118 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2007, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Didn't you ever read Todd's Megaplier petition? 

Megaplier Petition

No..........RJoh:

Have not read Todd's Megaplier petition?????????????????????????

BUT,................. all know PSYKOMO alway's has a BUTT to ask about D situation......  and admit all JackPot players need protection!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Would it be fair to say>>>>>all JACKPOT player's should have rite's

to play their own ###### and have condomright protection for @

least the next 17 year's on any number played by each ticket..........

This would be something like copyright protection for our PLAY$$$$

Let's LET it B known..................

JP player's spend a LOT of $$$$$

with "NO RETURN"<<<<<<< $$$$

WE need (we spend lotto MONEY) PROTECTION!!!!!!!!

HELP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SAVE all JACKPOT>>>player's$$

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5118 Posts
                Posted: August 13, 2007, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

i dont think you would have a case in court because the clerk will say they printed the duplicate by accident. i would just take my 25million before taxes and be happy that i won that half.

"what would you DO in this situation"......??????

On a flight from the west coast of FL..........8/11 you have a 4-HR on

your take-off...........................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DELAY!!

When you arrive, luggage DELAY............>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WAITE!

You, waite & waite & waite & waite........>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WAITE!

Yoe'r luggage is LOST & all Yoe'r LOTTERY TICKET's..........  TOO!!!

?????????????

Can you BUY them BACK at the LUGGAGE..................SALE????

GEE^^^^^^^^^PLEASE tell me you feel SORRY>>sos sorry?

LOL

PSYKOMO 

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7302 Posts
                  Posted: August 13, 2007, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

Apparently the clerk in your case must have already told the machine to print tickets for 10 drawing before running your card. Most of the time when I buy tickets the clerks seem to punch one button a couple of times or more. I'm guessing they've mostly learned to hit the clear or cancel button before starting. I did have a clerk ask me for $2 after printing my single $1 ticket once. They apparently hadn't cleared the last sale, so after printing mine the machine showed the price for 2 tickets.

Oddly enough, Pennsylvania seems to have eliminated the chance to play advance drawings by marking  the PB slips. I meant to buy for 5 drawings several months ago but got a ticket for a single drawing. The little box wasn't filled in thoroughly, so I figured the machine didn't read it. The next time I wanted a ticket I used the same card, which I had marked more thoroughly and I still got a ticket for a single drawing.  When I said something the clerk told me the machine now ignores that box, and it's up to the clerk to punch a button for the number of advance drawings. Nothing like taking a relatively easy system that  relies on the customer and changing to one that  relies on the customer and the clerk and is more prone to mishaps. I'm not a fan of most conspiracy theories, but I wonder if the lotteries just figure that  the accidental tickets boost their sales by 1%.

There is this one clerk at the local store doesn't look at the screen before she runs a bet slip and the slip goes right through without printing the ticket; then she turns is sideways and tries it again. After about 3 or 4 tries the other clerk touches the screen and the ticket and prints out the ticket. You would think she would learn after the first time, but nope.

If I play more than one bet slip, she will put in the second one before the screen clears and of course it goes through unprinted too. When MM was up to $370 million, guess who was working that night?

"I'm not a fan of most conspiracy theories, but I wonder if the lotteries just figure that  the accidental tickets boost their sales by 1%."

On a whim I played 5 Ten-OH QPs yesterday at another store and the clerk ask me I wanted 5 tickets or 5 draws so maybe you're on to something because many people will buy mistakes.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                    North Dakota
                    United States
                    Member #13397
                    April 5, 2005
                    1623 Posts
                    Posted: August 14, 2007, 3:16 am - IP Logged

I have worked as a cashier before; however, I've never sold lottery tickets.  This is what I would do if I was the cashier...  I would inform the player of the mistake and ask him or her if they would like to buy the second ticket.  If they refused to buy it I would also inform them that it can't be cancelled so the store would have to buy it.  If they still refused to buy it then I would buy it.  As long as you pay for the ticket there shouldn't be any problem and any winnings are yours. 

How are you going to win if you don't play?

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                      A long and winding road
                      United States
                      Member #17084
                      June 10, 2005
                      4525 Posts
                      Posted: August 14, 2007, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Hey! so long as that clerk is a relative of mine, I'd have no qualms in splitting that kind of money!

In honesty, it would bug me, but not enough to create an invalid legal battle. Sorry but I am not a big believer in the court system and even less believing that a lawyer is doing it out of the goodness of his heart for me to win the case. Puhleese.

CASHIERS are NOT forced to buy mistake tickets. The stores are asked to take from there tills if mistakes are made. The store collects if its a winner.

Besides I am a huge believer that cashiers should NOT be buying whilst on the clock. Would you want your bar tender drinking right along with ya? (poor analogy but you get my drift).

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014