Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Advertising

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 9 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
Member #50124
February 26, 2007
601 Posts
Posted: August 23, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I thought Powerball ads would be made by Powerball and would be the same wherever Powerball is played.  From a discussion in another thread, I guess that's not true.

The most recent ads here have a guy in a big red ball suit trying to squeeze into spaces too small, like into a revolving door and into a checkout counter.  The tagline is something like "Powerball is huge."

So what's the Powerball ad that's running in your area?  Anyone know if each state lottery makes their own ad?

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: August 23, 2007, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

I'm in NY, and even though I'm fairly close to PA and CT I don't recall ever seeing an ad for PB. The MM commercials I hear and see are done by the NY lottery, and I'm assuming that the actual advertsing for multi-state lotteries is always up to the states, probably with some guidelines that must be followed. When the jackpot gets fairly big NY has used the same few MM ads for several years now, featuring an announcer they started with perhaps 10 years ago to advertise NY Lotto. He turns up in various places where you'd expect an announcement about something,  announces the current jackpot, and everybody stampedes for th doors.Actually he announces that the "New York Megamillions jackpot is now over ___" since they aren't making new commercials.

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: August 23, 2007, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Ads for multi-state games are always up to the individual state lotteries.

The ones in PA are usually about how the jackpot is always big (which is true, but compared to the odds it's also usually a ripoff, not so now though).

(insert signature here)

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
        nashville
        United States
        Member #49896
        February 18, 2007
        1181 Posts
        Posted: August 23, 2007, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

the ads here in tennessee are one guy is at his high school reunion and all the women are flirting with him and allover him because they know he won the lottery. the other ad is a son bringing back his dads truck that he borrowed years ago when he went to college but the truck is now restored to mint condition and it is being towed by a brand new RV that he gives his parents the keys to. the other one i remember is a man getting ready to go fishing with his older brother and he tells him thank you for the help when he was struggling. the older brother looks up at a big boat and he tells the younger brother,"i bet you can afford something like that now that you won the lottery" and the younger brother gives him the keys to the brand new boat he was admiring because it was actually a surprise present to thank his older brother for all his help before he won the powerball. the commercials are all nice but the high school reunion is my favorite one.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
          Member #32537
          February 12, 2006
          698 Posts
          Posted: August 23, 2007, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

am shocked no one tryed the video sites and given links yet

where in the year 2007 folks not the dark ages

here some powerball ad videos on the web

rich guy got cars! 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bM-Cxmp7kJc 

omfg powerball got a theme song ad 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5XTZh8_897k 

thats about it for uplaods to video sites i can find for pb

next ones are not powerballs, but i find them  funny so i share them:

cheating Death, Very Funny one

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/34217/cheating_death/

a seal wins the lottery! "need i say more?"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5O0pTSGYqWY

guys girlfreind now x-girlfreind wins the lotto, classic one 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NqftragJXqE 

who gives a s**t about the windows when you just hit the lotto!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/162653/10_million_bucks_changes_you/

mega millons one, ny, baseball team got a new owner! 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0UXqpWlmjfI 

The bodyguard  for very rich lotto winners , he follows them everyone!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4515/just_the_2_of_us/ 

bear thanks lotto players? wtf

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/243301/bear_lottery/ 

very old 1987, but the ending of it is a shocker!"not"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6VrhZ0Zlwps 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19821 Posts
            Posted: August 23, 2007, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Except for the jackpots, both MegaMillions and PowerBall are local lotteries.  All involved states contribute 32-33% of their sales dollars to the jackpot to share it and all other prizes are paid by the states selling the winning tickets.  All tickets and prizes are subjected to the rules of the state selling the tickets, that the reason different states have different rules for claiming a prize.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #9579
              December 12, 2004
              2121 Posts
              Posted: August 24, 2007, 11:21 am - IP Logged

and just think,with all this money going to education,our property taxes should go down,or should we have a lottery?

United States
                Member #50124
                February 26, 2007
                601 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2007, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Wow, I can't believe Idaho still isn't advertising Powerball.  I watched TV from 9 pm to 12:30 am last night, and not one ad.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2007, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Wow, I can't believe Idaho still isn't advertising Powerball.  I watched TV from 9 pm to 12:30 am last night, and not one ad.

TV advertising is expensive, so I figure that's good news! Everytime I pass a billboard or see an ad on TV for the lottery, they're spending another several thousand that could have been put to better use, like paying for after school programs. I realize each state must have an advertising budget, but I've been over someone's house when an ad comes on for the lottery and not once has that person said "Oh, I should run out and buy a ticket."  I think most people either buy them or don't, or maybe they think about getting a ticket when they're out shopping.  IMHO the best advertising for any game is at the retailer or maybe on the radio, since many people buy tickets at gas stations.  Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                    nashville
                    United States
                    Member #49896
                    February 18, 2007
                    1181 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2007, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

TV advertising is expensive, so I figure that's good news! Everytime I pass a billboard or see an ad on TV for the lottery, they're spending another several thousand that could have been put to better use, like paying for after school programs. I realize each state must have an advertising budget, but I've been over someone's house when an ad comes on for the lottery and not once has that person said "Oh, I should run out and buy a ticket."  I think most people either buy them or don't, or maybe they think about getting a ticket when they're out shopping.  IMHO the best advertising for any game is at the retailer or maybe on the radio, since many people buy tickets at gas stations.  Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

i agree with you justx the tv ads dont make anyone want to buy tickets but the tv reports get some people excited when they see a long line and a jackpot of $300million

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: August 25, 2007, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

How many people see the news anchors talking about the lottery in their state?  When PB or MM reaches record highs, I've also seen a reporter on a cable news network talking about it.  So that's bonus advertising I guess.  It's probably just my imagination, but when Craig Wolf very seriously stared into the camera when FL started the raffle game and said "with the best odds ever" I thought he looked embarrassed.  I think it was somewhere between the story on the casualties in Iraq and the record number of foreclosures. 

United States
                        Member #50124
                        February 26, 2007
                        601 Posts
                        Posted: August 25, 2007, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

How many people see the news anchors talking about the lottery in their state?  When PB or MM reaches record highs, I've also seen a reporter on a cable news network talking about it.  So that's bonus advertising I guess.  It's probably just my imagination, but when Craig Wolf very seriously stared into the camera when FL started the raffle game and said "with the best odds ever" I thought he looked embarrassed.  I think it was somewhere between the story on the casualties in Iraq and the record number of foreclosures. 

A reporter did a live remote and a few man-on-the-street interviews the night of the last drawing and he didn't look embarrassed.  He's new here tho.  And that same night after they announced that a $200k ticket was sold here, as the anchor signed off she said "We'll see you tomorrow ... that is, if none of us bought that ticket."  The sports guy and weather guy sitting with her were pretending to get their tickets out to check them as they went off the air.  No embarrassment that I saw.

I imagine that probably is pretty good advertising. 

United States
                          Member #9579
                          December 12, 2004
                          2121 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2007, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

all over national,and local news.so big,i think they should give out one million dollars to 300 winners,but they will not!

United States
                            Member #50124
                            February 26, 2007
                            601 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2007, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Off topic, but I've gotta disagree with the $1 million prize.  I spent $8 for tonight's drawing (4 powerplay tickets).  There's no way I'd spend that much for a long-shot chance at $1 million.  If I won and took the cash option and paid taxes, I'd have maximum $350K.  Enough for a modest home and maybe a new car, but nothing left over to invest. I'd still have to have a job or some other source of income.  

Now if they wanted to give $10 million to 30 winners I'd be more amenable.  But the majority of lottery players wouldn't like even the $10 million plan and wouldn't be interested enough to even buy one ticket.  Plus with a set number of winners predetermined, it would no longer be a lottery, it would be a raffle.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19821 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2007, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

A reporter did a live remote and a few man-on-the-street interviews the night of the last drawing and he didn't look embarrassed.  He's new here tho.  And that same night after they announced that a $200k ticket was sold here, as the anchor signed off she said "We'll see you tomorrow ... that is, if none of us bought that ticket."  The sports guy and weather guy sitting with her were pretending to get their tickets out to check them as they went off the air.  No embarrassment that I saw.

I imagine that probably is pretty good advertising. 

I use to think TV station did live remotes to inform the public about new products and services that thought they should know about.  Then I found out many times they are really advertisements being treated like news.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking