Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

tips to the cashier?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 9 years ago by chasingadream.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

You just hit the 3 digit for $2500, would you tip the person that chases your ticket and how much?

$0 [ 37 ]  [53.62%]
$10 [ 8 ]  [11.59%]
$20 [ 6 ]  [8.70%]
$25 [ 6 ]  [8.70%]
$40 [ 2 ]  [2.90%]
$50 [ 4 ]  [5.80%]
$50-$99 [ 1 ]  [1.45%]
$100 or more [ 5 ]  [7.25%]
Total Valid Votes [ 69 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
pittsburgh
United States
Member #51040
March 25, 2007
457 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2007, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

i just had a good hit and i tipped well just wondering what everyone else would do.

pittsburgh
    United States
    Member #51040
    March 25, 2007
    457 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2007, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

oops i meant to put cashes your ticket not chases, sorry still a little shaky. Big Smile

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
      Florida
      United States
      Member #6147
      August 8, 2004
      1396 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2007, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

I buy my tickets online, so no need to think about this.  If I were to buy in the store, I'm not sure what I would do.  I mean, I picked the numbers, they weren't given to me by the store clerk.  All he/she did was run them through the machine.  I guess if I were a "regular" at the store I would give the clerk $50.00, but not if I were just an occasional lottery customer.

Good Luck!

Stavros

pittsburgh
        United States
        Member #51040
        March 25, 2007
        457 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2007, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

well i played the numbers at the gas station, they dont have that kind of money to pay out so i went to the grocery store she had to go get the money and count it all out.

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2007, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

If I hit for $2500 on a single ticket, the person that cashes the ticket( and deducts taxes) will be the lottery clerk at the lottery office. Therefore, no tip.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49767 Posts
            Posted: August 31, 2007, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

oops i meant to put cashes your ticket not chases, sorry still a little shaky. Big Smile

The purpose of the Edit Button is to fix posting errors.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: August 31, 2007, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

The purpose of the Edit Button is to fix posting errors.

Can you edit the poll?  I was thinking not, but I don't post that many so ...

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49767 Posts
                Posted: August 31, 2007, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Can you edit the poll?  I was thinking not, but I don't post that many so ...

The posting of a poll can be Edited for 20 minutes, but the voting can not be Edited.

PS: You can also use the Delete Button for 20 Minutes after posting.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1953 Posts
                  Posted: August 31, 2007, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

$2500? None. A jackpot on the otherhand could mean a different story.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Columbia City, Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #2978
                    December 9, 2003
                    381 Posts
                    Posted: August 31, 2007, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Several years ago I enjoyed an incredible run of luck while playing Ohio's Pick-4 game. I won $11,800 in three weeks, on three separate box hits.

The first time, I had ten tickets for a box double (2577, I think) which paid $4,000. My second hit came a week and a half later; I had five tickets on a no-match number, and won $1,000. Another week and a half went by, and I hit another double. That night, I spent only $30.00, playing two box numbers (2448 and 2488). I bought my tickets at two different retailers so, due to handing one of the clerks the wrong bet slip, I had 17 tickets for 2448, and 13 for 2488. Fortune smiled on me once again when the numbers 2448 were drawn that evening, and I spent the greater part of the next day running from retailer to retailer cashing tickets worth $6,800.

That was a good day.

Now, to answer your poll. I didn't tip anyone who cashed my tickets, because that was after the fact; it would be like tipping a bank teller for cashing your paycheck. However, I did pay ten percent of my total winnings to the two girls who sold me my winning tickets; I always do that, provided I win a significant amount of money (it's not really worth it to pay them if I won five or ten bucks).   

It's true, I chose the numbers, but it's a good feeling knowing that someone else is out there truly hoping my numbers will hit. I paid a total of $1,180.00 in commissions, but I was still money ahead, and the looks on those girls' faces was absolutely priceless when I began counting out their "commissions." With the lone exception of the no-match hit, the money I paid them for each of the doubles exceeded their weekly salaries. One of them, Nikki, actually cried when I gave her $340.00 following my last hit (the other girl received an equal amount, but she wasn't nearly as emotional about it).

I suppose it was by sheer coincidence that they were always working when I bought my tickets, since I didn't play every single day. To be fair, I should point out that there were days when I didn't win anything. There were days when I had ten or fifteen tickets that were off by one digit (it's maddening, isn't it?). Out of those 21 consecutive days, I played maybe 14 or 15 times and, out of those fifteen days, I won on only three occasions. Anyway, I began to think those two girls were lucky for me, so I'm not sure whether I would have even bought any tickets had they not been working when I walked in with my bet slips (each worked at a different store in Antwerp, but they knew each other).

I've since stopped playing the daily games. Today, I only play PowerBall on a regular basis, and I'll drive to Michigan for MegaMillions tickets when the jackpot gets to $200 million. I always get those for three draws. That way, if the jackpot rolls, I don't have to go all the way back to Sturgis to play my numbers again (unless it rolls three more times, but that hasn't happened yet).

I went last week, and a guy named Larry sold me my tickets. He told me a story about a woman who won a million dollars at his store. He said the store received $6,000.00 from the lottery for selling the ticket (I didn't ask if it was a scratch-off, but I'm assuming it was). The woman who won the money came back and gave the owners another $2,000.00 but, said Larry, she didn't bother to tip the cashier who had sold her the ticket. I told him not to worry, that if I should hit the big one, I would happily pay him five percent of whatever I received after taxes and cash option (yes; I have reduced the amount of the commission I pay, but that's because I have plans for that money, should it turn out to belong to me. Besides, I doubt if Larry will think I'm being unfair if he gets a check for $11,560,000.00).

If I'm lucky enough to hit a second or third prize in tonight's drawing, I'll still give Larry his five percent. Not that I'm frivolous, mind you; I would never tip a cashier a thousand dollars just for ringing up my gasoline sale (as David Edwards once did). I'm sure Larry bought his own tickets for the upcoming drawing, but it's comforting to know that he's up in Michigan thinking, "Well, if I don't hit the jackpot, I sure hope that ugly Neanderthal guy from Indiana has the lone winning ticket."

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8362 Posts
                      Posted: August 31, 2007, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

sometimes i tip the casher if the casher sold me the ticket, but by the same respect if the casher won on one of my numbers i gave him/her would they tip me.

cashinn's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
                        Member #47772
                        November 24, 2006
                        252 Posts
                        Posted: August 31, 2007, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

i don't know about tipping the person who cashes my ticket but the person who sold me the ticket would certainly be rewarded.  This was the way things were done back in the old days before the states took over the lottery.  Plus an act of appreciation is always nice.

By releasing all negative thoughts, the mind is free for positive choices.

computerhead723's avatar - lightbulb
                          Buffalo
                          United States
                          Member #54397
                          August 17, 2007
                          245 Posts
                          Posted: August 31, 2007, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

Several years ago I enjoyed an incredible run of luck while playing Ohio's Pick-4 game. I won $11,800 in three weeks, on three separate box hits.

The first time, I had ten tickets for a box double (2577, I think) which paid $4,000. My second hit came a week and a half later; I had five tickets on a no-match number, and won $1,000. Another week and a half went by, and I hit another double. That night, I spent only $30.00, playing two box numbers (2448 and 2488). I bought my tickets at two different retailers so, due to handing one of the clerks the wrong bet slip, I had 17 tickets for 2448, and 13 for 2488. Fortune smiled on me once again when the numbers 2448 were drawn that evening, and I spent the greater part of the next day running from retailer to retailer cashing tickets worth $6,800.

That was a good day.

Now, to answer your poll. I didn't tip anyone who cashed my tickets, because that was after the fact; it would be like tipping a bank teller for cashing your paycheck. However, I did pay ten percent of my total winnings to the two girls who sold me my winning tickets; I always do that, provided I win a significant amount of money (it's not really worth it to pay them if I won five or ten bucks).   

It's true, I chose the numbers, but it's a good feeling knowing that someone else is out there truly hoping my numbers will hit. I paid a total of $1,180.00 in commissions, but I was still money ahead, and the looks on those girls' faces was absolutely priceless when I began counting out their "commissions." With the lone exception of the no-match hit, the money I paid them for each of the doubles exceeded their weekly salaries. One of them, Nikki, actually cried when I gave her $340.00 following my last hit (the other girl received an equal amount, but she wasn't nearly as emotional about it).

I suppose it was by sheer coincidence that they were always working when I bought my tickets, since I didn't play every single day. To be fair, I should point out that there were days when I didn't win anything. There were days when I had ten or fifteen tickets that were off by one digit (it's maddening, isn't it?). Out of those 21 consecutive days, I played maybe 14 or 15 times and, out of those fifteen days, I won on only three occasions. Anyway, I began to think those two girls were lucky for me, so I'm not sure whether I would have even bought any tickets had they not been working when I walked in with my bet slips (each worked at a different store in Antwerp, but they knew each other).

I've since stopped playing the daily games. Today, I only play PowerBall on a regular basis, and I'll drive to Michigan for MegaMillions tickets when the jackpot gets to $200 million. I always get those for three draws. That way, if the jackpot rolls, I don't have to go all the way back to Sturgis to play my numbers again (unless it rolls three more times, but that hasn't happened yet).

I went last week, and a guy named Larry sold me my tickets. He told me a story about a woman who won a million dollars at his store. He said the store received $6,000.00 from the lottery for selling the ticket (I didn't ask if it was a scratch-off, but I'm assuming it was). The woman who won the money came back and gave the owners another $2,000.00 but, said Larry, she didn't bother to tip the cashier who had sold her the ticket. I told him not to worry, that if I should hit the big one, I would happily pay him five percent of whatever I received after taxes and cash option (yes; I have reduced the amount of the commission I pay, but that's because I have plans for that money, should it turn out to belong to me. Besides, I doubt if Larry will think I'm being unfair if he gets a check for $11,560,000.00).

If I'm lucky enough to hit a second or third prize in tonight's drawing, I'll still give Larry his five percent. Not that I'm frivolous, mind you; I would never tip a cashier a thousand dollars just for ringing up my gasoline sale (as David Edwards once did). I'm sure Larry bought his own tickets for the upcoming drawing, but it's comforting to know that he's up in Michigan thinking, "Well, if I don't hit the jackpot, I sure hope that ugly Neanderthal guy from Indiana has the lone winning ticket."

I like  the  fact  you  said  that  those  two  clerks  were  lucky  for  you ,becaues  I  would  also  give  money  to  a  clerk  who  I  felt  was  lucky  for  me ;

I  have  on  occation  donated  -to  a  clerk - even  if  its  a  $250  win...thats  big  money  ... if  I  was  blessed  even  to  see  a  million  or  more  I  don't  know  what  I  would  do ....  I  might  marry  the  clerk....depends  on  my  mood  at  the  time ;    Dance

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                            Vancouver, WA
                            United States
                            Member #53665
                            July 15, 2007
                            151 Posts
                            Posted: September 8, 2007, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

Tongue in cheek reply...I would likely tip the clerk by saying in light of the recent thefts of winnings by clerks, I suggest that you not try this with me.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                              Member #4121
                              March 23, 2004
                              817 Posts
                              Posted: September 10, 2007, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

PartyZERO..............

Party on!