Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

tips to the cashier?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 9 years ago by chasingadream.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

You just hit the 3 digit for $2500, would you tip the person that chases your ticket and how much?

$0 [ 37 ]  [53.62%]
$10 [ 8 ]  [11.59%]
$20 [ 6 ]  [8.70%]
$25 [ 6 ]  [8.70%]
$40 [ 2 ]  [2.90%]
$50 [ 4 ]  [5.80%]
$50-$99 [ 1 ]  [1.45%]
$100 or more [ 5 ]  [7.25%]
Total Valid Votes [ 69 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19825 Posts
Posted: September 10, 2007, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

Zero.  The clerks work for the retailer, not for me.  The cost of their service should be included in the price I paid for that service.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rteague's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    North Carolina
    United States
    Member #54608
    August 24, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: September 10, 2007, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

i would probably tip the person that ran my ticket...i will sometimes give her/him a small tip anyway only because i go there nightly,usually getting many different picks and they treat me well...I say that only because here in NC, a lot of stores push us lottery players to the side and make us wait till no customers are in line before they will wait on us...boy that ticks me off...they act as if we are a bother...do they do that in other states as well ?? i've emailed the lottery comission several times about it

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
      nashville
      United States
      Member #49896
      February 18, 2007
      1181 Posts
      Posted: September 10, 2007, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

i would probably tip the person that ran my ticket...i will sometimes give her/him a small tip anyway only because i go there nightly,usually getting many different picks and they treat me well...I say that only because here in NC, a lot of stores push us lottery players to the side and make us wait till no customers are in line before they will wait on us...boy that ticks me off...they act as if we are a bother...do they do that in other states as well ?? i've emailed the lottery comission several times about it

rteague this has happened to me a few times here in tennessee in the past and if they act like i dont deserve service right away because i was playing lottery then i would just leave. one time when the lottery first came a store manager talked about how stupid people were for playing the lottery and throwing away their money and he was saying it so loud that all of us lottery players could hear him and his friend making fun of us so half of us left but i think the ones who stayed just didnt feel like going anywhere else but if i won i didnt want it to be at his store where he would get a check for selling the ticket. i drove pass there a month ago and the station he owned has been replaced with a shell so i dont know if he was still the owner or not i still wont go back in there and spend money on anything just in case he does own it.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: September 11, 2007, 2:29 am - IP Logged

We've had this discussion many times in the past, so you might want to look at those threads.  The answers are based on personal situations.  I do agree with RJOh, but if I knew the clerk/cashier and he/she had given me great service in the past, I might share the wealth.  I probably wouldn't, however, since I buy my tickets at different stores. Even if I go to Publix where I buy a lot of my tickets, I'm usually helped by many different people.  As pointed out by DoubleDown, I'd be cashing my ticket at the Lottery Office anyway since prizes over $600 can't be claimed at the retailer where I live.   

Congratulations!   

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
          Just outside of Cleveland, OH
          United States
          Member #54079
          August 3, 2007
          106 Posts
          Posted: September 11, 2007, 5:20 am - IP Logged

I'm not sure about tipping on an ordinary daily hit--but if I ever won the JP on the MM or a higher tiered scratch off, the clerk where I purchase 99% of my lottery tkts would be in for a nice surprise.  My situation is made easier by the fact that I purchase most of my tkts at the smoke shop in my neighborhood where I also go to obtain the "treat" cigars I purchase for my Significant Other.  Only 4 people work there and I know most of them by name and all by sight, so my situation is a bit different.  They also know me and will sometimes let me know if they're going to be carrying a cigar that is similar to the one I purchase twice a week--they even told me about an event at a sister cigar shop closer to the city which was hosting a mfg.'s event in which a man was hand rolling cigars ar the store--we went--was soooo cool.  They go above and beyond the call and so would I were I ever to win enough to be generous.

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
            Ohio
            United States
            Member #46493
            September 11, 2006
            4173 Posts
            Posted: October 5, 2007, 6:51 am - IP Logged

Zero.  The clerks work for the retailer, not for me.  The cost of their service should be included in the price I paid for that service.

I Agree!

I'm not going to tip the person who sold me the ticket if I won by playing my OWN numbers.  If the clerk told me to put $1 on a certain number, and it sounded good, and I played it and won...then that clerk deserves a tip.  If the clerk wants money they should play their own numbers, not get tips from the customers who play their own numbers and win. 

Keep it simple 

Kingston, Ontario
              Canada
              Member #46867
              October 5, 2006
              106 Posts
              Posted: October 5, 2007, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I said NO TIP, no dollars.  First, the clerk has nothing to do with you winning the lottery.  She puts slips through and presses buttons for QP's.   Our lotteries are tax-free, so at tax time what you spend can't be used as for a win/loss.  So I would never tip a retailer as they have done nothing and the goverment doesn't reward all the money you lose.   

"Together We're Making Good Things Happen,  Ontario's Lotteries...WE ALL WIN"

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: October 5, 2007, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

$FIFTY$ to the person who ran my slips.

Now, if it is the guy who just became a dad, I'd give him 2 $FIFTIES$! One of my regular clerks just became a dad.

or,

, .

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: October 9, 2007, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

I'm not going to tip the person who sold me the ticket if I won by playing my OWN numbers.  If the clerk told me to put $1 on a certain number, and it sounded good, and I played it and won...then that clerk deserves a tip.  If the clerk wants money they should play their own numbers, not get tips from the customers who play their own numbers and win. 

As I already wrote, we've had this discussion several times, but I am posting again to say I like your answer.  If a clerk participated in the game (i.e., helped me pick a number) then I certainly would remember him/her.  If a clerk performed special services for me then I would definitely tip.  I used to think it was an acronym for "to insure prompt service" but according to Urban Legends, that isn't true.  I'm often foolish and tip someone even when I get crummy service!

In brief, it's all a personal preference and what is in your heart.  I don't think the word "TIP" is the right word in this situation.  It's a gift as far as I'm concerned, since the practice of tipping is completely unrelated to the job description.  Do most people tip the Fedex or UPS person? Probably not. But most people tip a pizza delivery guy.  Both deliver a package to your home. 

This is way off topic, but I remember when my parents always left money for the postman around Christmas time.  Why?  The average letter carrier makes approx $45,000 a year plus benefits.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5120 Posts
                    Posted: October 11, 2007, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

i just had a good hit and i tipped well just wondering what everyone else would do.

IT's yoe THING$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DO whatacha YOU wanta>>>>>DO!!!!

(YOU & mostly your "TIP" will be REMEMBERED @ this store for while)

LOL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Member #0
                      January 1, 2000
                      0 Posts
                      Posted: October 29, 2007, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Why would I tip anyone for doing their job?They get a paycheck for doing their job.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                        Member #28409
                        December 15, 2005
                        1198 Posts
                        Posted: October 29, 2007, 11:30 am - IP Logged

i just had a good hit and i tipped well just wondering what everyone else would do.

I voted 100 dollars or more.  Customary tips are 10% or whatever the bill (win) is..,so I figure why not the same.  But in a jackpot win, just like at the restaurant, they only get a tip if they are nice to me and do their job well.  Everywhere I have worked, I have gone above and beyond the call of duty without so much as a simple "thank you."   I expect no less from anyone wanting a tip from me. 

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: October 29, 2007, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

I am a clerk that sells tickets.  I voted tipping the clerk $40 for a huge win.. lol

However, I do hear all these promises.

I usually come back with,

"A nice breakfast would be nice"

or

"Flowers for the store would be great"  (to show off that the ticket came there and that we touched the winning ticket first..)

It is all in fun.

I love my customers, I do hope they win... and win big.. That in itself would be exciting...

We have sold a $50,000 two-dollar jumbo...  We were very happy for this person who bought only two that morning...

We have had $5,000 Powerball winners... and the Lotto Five Jackpot winner...  We did get Flowers from the $5,000 winner... and a promise for flowers from the Jackpot winner. 

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
                            Member #20470
                            August 18, 2005
                            221 Posts
                            Posted: October 29, 2007, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

no, unless i know the ind.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: October 29, 2007, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

I would ... double-count my money before leaving the store. Smash

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.