Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is Rich?

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 9 years ago by cv844.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What is rich to you?

hitting the megamillons? [ 21 ]  [31.34%]
hitting the powerball? [ 12 ]  [17.91%]
hitting the pick 4? [ 2 ]  [2.99%]
health? [ 23 ]  [34.33%]
sailing the tropics? [ 2 ]  [2.99%]
a farm? [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
fishing? [ 2 ]  [2.99%]
hunting? [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
going to the bathroom? [ 1 ]  [1.49%]
sex? [ 4 ]  [5.97%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
Nova Scotia
Canada
Member #9934
December 27, 2004
884 Posts
Posted: September 5, 2007, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

If you don't have your health. Then you can't enjoy any riches that do you receive.

Also I'd like to win a jackpot. That would make my day and my year!

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3471 Posts
    Posted: September 6, 2007, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Health is obviousy important, but healthy and rich are different things. Prisons are full of people who are in excellent health, have a warm place to sleep, and know where their next meal is coming from, but I can't imagine anyone describing that as rich. If Bill Gates gets cancer he'll still be rich, even though he's sick. That just means that being rich isn't necessarily the best thing at any particular time.

Owning a home and reliable cars and not living from paycheck to paycheck qualifies as comfortable. Being rich requires having enough money to indulge yourself in things that go well beyond just being comfortable. How much beyond comfortable is subjective and everyone will have a somewhat different opinion. Personally I wouldn't consider myself rich until I had an income of at least 300 to 500k without having to get out of bed to earn it. For me being rich means being able to buy myself plenty of free time, as well as the ability to buy some nice things and travel,and to help out friends and family, and bring them on some of the trips.

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: September 6, 2007, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

My vote is Mega Millions. I hope I match all 5 WBs and the Mega Ball to win the jackpot in Mega Millions and/or CA SLP.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
        Member #4121
        March 23, 2004
        817 Posts
        Posted: September 6, 2007, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Good Health.  No amount of money buys that.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2007, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

In a scene from "The Magnificent Seven" (1960) in which Charles Bronson is approached to work as a hired gun, Bronson responds, "Right now, twenty dollars is a lot. ...

The amount is all relative to the person(s) - but I wouldn't believe someone that had money in the bank, a house, 2 cars, etc; saying they aren't rich.

If that house and 2 cars were owned outright and the money in the bank was more than what they pay straight for a pick4 hit, then that's rich...

when the 2 cars are needed for both to work (and have payments on them), and the house has at least one mortgage on it... that's a mode of living I call

"One Paycheck from Disaster"

Not rich at all... more like "Working Poor"

enough dough not to qualify for any assistance (and a work ethic that would make you decline it even if it was offered) but not enough dough to ever breathe easy about the bills...

I'm not rich, I'm surviving... not falling back, not getting ahead... just surviving ;-)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: September 8, 2007, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Rich is trusting your heart and knowing if you were taken away tomorrow, you would have left the world a better place.  Rich is being happy & grateful whether or not you have money or health. 

Still, I would like to win a million or 2...no more than that or I'd just give it away.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
              Member #15309
              May 13, 2005
              307 Posts
              Posted: September 8, 2007, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Good Health.  No amount of money buys that.

I agree.  But others would prefer a diamond-studded wheelchair. Smile

Right now, I'm thinking of Steve Fossett.  Multi-millionaire adventurer, who  flew an aircraft a week or so ago, must have gotten lost somewhere in the Nevada-California mountains.  Hope he'll be found safe and sound, but if he were in a precarious and critical situation, I wouldn't be surprise if he's praying, "All that I have, just get me out of here alive!"

Rich is relative, depending on what situation you are in your life.

Sun Smiley             

computerhead723's avatar - lightbulb
                Buffalo
                United States
                Member #54397
                August 17, 2007
                245 Posts
                Posted: September 9, 2007, 3:56 am - IP Logged

If one achieves success in life they would be comfortably wealthy.

Get a good education find a job you love to do and everything should fall into place

to  me  health  is  important  but  If  I  had  1/2 Billion  $$$  and  Sex  everyday  and  night  that  would  be  a  rich :

In  fact  I  would  be  wealthy  Love

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: September 28, 2007, 1:34 am - IP Logged

'RICH' is this:

When one can sleep as late as they want - whenever they want, eat whatever they want whenever they want, and go anywhere they want, anytime they want.

To some folks, that's $500,000, to others, it is multi-multi-millions, to me, it would be about 2 million (after taxes). 

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                    Washington State
                    United States
                    Member #33973
                    February 26, 2006
                    347 Posts
                    Posted: September 28, 2007, 3:08 am - IP Logged

I'm already retired, so I have all the time there is.   "Rich" to me would be having enough money to feel justified in hiring the work done that I no longer enjoy doing (like house cleaning, gardening, and cleaning the gutters) in spite of having enough time I could really do it myself.  That would allow me to do the things I prefer doing, like quilting and specific types of volunteer work.  In addition, I'd want enough money in investments to feel secure that I'd be able to cover medical costs to age 101 regardless of what happens to my health in the future. 

paurths's avatar - underground
                      Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                      Belgium
                      Member #19287
                      July 29, 2005
                      2254 Posts
                      Posted: September 28, 2007, 6:17 am - IP Logged

Can't buy health, so that would be ranked first for me.
                      'tho, worrying about unpaid bills can make one sick also...

Happines, well, one of the things would be that no boss would/could get on my case again. Filling my days with things i like to do, i really like to do, that would be very satisfying.

Winning the euromillions tonight, 130 000 000 euro's (some $ 184,278,867) would certainly make things very easy.

Alot less also ofcourse... 

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                        Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                        United States
                        Member #54079
                        August 3, 2007
                        106 Posts
                        Posted: September 28, 2007, 8:29 am - IP Logged

I'm already retired, so I have all the time there is.   "Rich" to me would be having enough money to feel justified in hiring the work done that I no longer enjoy doing (like house cleaning, gardening, and cleaning the gutters) in spite of having enough time I could really do it myself.  That would allow me to do the things I prefer doing, like quilting and specific types of volunteer work.  In addition, I'd want enough money in investments to feel secure that I'd be able to cover medical costs to age 101 regardless of what happens to my health in the future. 

Winning a large enough MM to be able to share the JP w/my daughter and SO's daughters and our families and still be able to live comfortably well from the interest income like KYFloyd and Uff Da! have already shared in their posts.  Generating that money from a life insurance annuity would be top priority so that the principal would pass relatively risk free to our heirs. 

Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #46570
                          September 14, 2006
                          558 Posts
                          Posted: September 28, 2007, 10:17 am - IP Logged

I knew a lady that was rich.  She told me that the best thing about being rich was the ability to go into a nice clothing store and look at their best dresses and not have to look at the price tag!

Brit

I used to work for some wealthy people years ago. The owners wife was a very nice person and down to earth who worked in the business as well. The one thing I always heard her say alot was 'Be mindful of your spending'. To this day, I'm always watching what I buy and asking the question .." Do I really need this ?" It's paid off many times and I dont have things I regret buying on impulse. Saving for the future in an IRA, 401K, and savings are the only true ways to build personal, financial wealth. Betting on the lottery or the stockmarket or on sporting events are all risks. If you keep it small like a lotto ticket or 2 a week, then no biggie, but if your betting the farm each week in hopes of winning, your throwing your money away. Invest in yourself first.

See full size image                                               

Don't Play more, Play Smarter!

Randallstown Maryland
                            United States
                            Member #21083
                            September 1, 2005
                            39 Posts
                            Posted: September 28, 2007, 11:30 am - IP Logged

what is rich  health  and knowing  that after all these years you have your mate that  still  love  you.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                              Member #5344
                              June 30, 2004
                              23641 Posts
                              Posted: September 29, 2007, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

Rich.. being healthy... and being happy...

My family is rich in happiness...  I am fornuate to love my career and to have a loving family.  I work with people who are so miserable.  There is dark cloud over them all the time.  I have learned to say away from them because my sunshine of happiness makes them more miserable. 

I determine each day I am going to wake up happy and not sweat the small stuff.

The joy of the hugs and kisses my grandchildren bring make me look forward to each and every minute I spend with them.  My married children still provide hugs and kisses which is a wonderful thing considering their age.  Laughter fills our house.  Right now we have been fighting cancer with my soon to be daughter-in-law.  We have laughed ourselves through all the treatments.  The only thing we have lost is her hair.  She is a trooper.  Full of life, love and laughter.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44