Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Jackpot Winners

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 9 years ago by delS.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
md
United States
Member #14047
April 20, 2005
579 Posts
Posted: September 3, 2007, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Over the last week, we have seen Powerball and Mega Millionswon.  There are a total of 5 new minted Jackpot Millionaire Winners.  My hopes and prayers is that they will do weel by their new fortunes and also their families and some less fortunate people if they so chose to do so. 

But I have to tell you, I am so not feeling this new winner from Maryland. See below!  Before the commission headquarters opens he is out in front of camera's.  Certainly it is an assumption that he doesn't have a team already in place to handle such a large winning, but its just that an assumption.  But give me a freakin break, how much of a poor decision can you make out the gate.  A take home sum of almost $50,000,000 after taxes and if he takes the lump sum payout.  WHY?  WHY?  Put yourself out front like this. 

Of course, I know there are more folks here with varied opinions.  I'd like to read others opinions. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEGA MILLIONS

Wicca teacher says he has 1 of 4 winning tickets

Associated Press
Published on: 09/02/07

NOTTINGHAM, Md. — Elwood "Bunky" Bartlett says a New Age book store made it possible for him to become an overnight multimillionaire.

He and his wife, Denise, were on their way to the shop where he occasionally teaches Wicca and Reiki (RAY'kee) healing when they stopped at a liquor store and bought two $5 Mega Millions tickets for Friday night's estimated $330 million jackpot. On Sunday, he said one ticket was a winner.

Gail Burton/AP
Elwood 'Bunky' Bartlett displays a copy of the winning ticket Sunday.

"If it wasn't for this place I wouldn't have won the lottery," Bartlett said Sunday at Mystickal Voyage, the New Age shop.

Four winning tickets to the Mega Millions jackpot were sold in Maryland, New Jersey, Texas and Virginia. Lottery officials said Sunday they cannot confirm the validity of Bartlett's ticket before they meet with him on Tuesday.

"There's no reason to believe it's not legitimate, but it has to go through security," said Maryland State Lottery Director Buddy Roogow, who said he has spoken with Bartlett.

Bartlett, an accountant from Dundalk, said he made a bargain with the multiple gods associated with his Wiccan beliefs: "You let me win the lottery and I'll teach." Both tickets he purchased had numbers chosen randomly from the computer.

Bartlett had not decided if he will accept his winnings as an annuity or choose the lump sum cash option. The jackpot could get larger once ticket sales are tallied, Roogow said, but the lump sum payment would be at least $48.7 million, or about $32 million after taxes.

According to preliminary calculations, each ticket would be worth about $82 million if the prize were taken in 26 annual payments.

Bartlett said the money won't change him, although he plans to invest in Mystickal Voyage. "I'm going to live my life like I have been," he said.

The odds that any ticket would match all five numbers — 8, 18, 22, 40 and 44 — and the Mega Ball number — 11 — were one in 176 million.

If estimates of the jackpot hold true, it would be the fourth largest in the lottery's history. It was known as The Big Game when it awarded jackpots of $363 million in 2000 and $331 million in 2002.

Mega Millions tickets are also sold in California, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Ohio and Washington.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
    nashville
    United States
    Member #49896
    February 18, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: September 3, 2007, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

one of the stories said he is an accountant so maybe he thinks he can handle the money himself without any more financial advice.  he does appear to enjoy the spotlight and attention for him and his religion.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1954 Posts
      Posted: September 3, 2007, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

It's his money, he won it, he can what he wants with it.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NightTrain1234's avatar - 8ball
        a Powerball AND MegaMillions state!
        United States
        Member #24190
        October 20, 2005
        78 Posts
        Posted: September 3, 2007, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

The Texas winner took the annuity though that's the default choice unless you mark otherwise on your ticket.  I hope the Maryland winner signed the back of his ticket in case someone steals it from him before Tuesday when is supposed to go to the Lottery Headquarters to get his ticket verified.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
          Member #50124
          February 26, 2007
          601 Posts
          Posted: September 3, 2007, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

I used to have an imaginary elephant named Bunky.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
            Member #50124
            February 26, 2007
            601 Posts
            Posted: September 5, 2007, 11:54 am - IP Logged

I used to have an imaginary elephant named Bunky.

After reading some comments on Bunky's weight in other threads, I have to clarify that this wasn't a comment on the winner's appearance.  I really did have an imaginary elephant named Bunky.  I was a very odd child.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7322 Posts
              Posted: September 5, 2007, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! 

That and the "do you think the jackpot will roll and become a new record?" polls. We have mathematicians that can give accurate probabilities of a jackpot rolling the next draw but the only statistic to evaluate if the next $12 million jackpot will get to over $300 million is the same fact with all jackpot runs; more money is wagered when the jackpot gets higher. 

People can justify their "your guess is as good as mine" vote by saying they flipped a coin so it's not like it promotes discussion.

Indiana
                United States
                Member #29196
                December 29, 2005
                280 Posts
                Posted: September 7, 2007, 8:45 am - IP Logged

Del,

I'm not feeling this with Bunky either.  I think this guy is headed for big problems and I hate to see that.  Just or kicks I "Googled" Bunky Bartlett yesterday morning and got over 55,000 hits.  I doubt if all of them are him but I stopped looking after 3 pages of stories, press conferences, interviews, and pictures.

In a state that allows anonimity what kind of nitwit would out himself to the press, start spending money he doesn't have yet, buy a new car, throw a party, appear on 2 network TV shows, committ to investing with his frends as well as committing to give money to charity and announce that he plans to set his family up in a new business?

It's bad enough that this numbskull has placed his life and well being in jeopardy from thieves, kidnappers and all kinds of crooks.  But to do the same with the lives and well being of his family is appalling.

I hope all turns out well for him in spite of himself.

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

konane's avatar - wallace
                  Atlanta, GA
                  United States
                  Member #1265
                  March 13, 2003
                  3333 Posts
                  Posted: September 7, 2007, 10:08 am - IP Logged

It's his money, he won it, he can what he wants with it.

I Agree!    Everyone reacts differently to a windfall and it remains to be seen how this will play out for him and his family.

It is the easiest thing to believe someone will end up tragically like winners in the past, much more difficult to simply wish them them the best, wait and see how they manage their newfound fortune.

We all should be as lucky as Bucky!!!!!!!!  Huge congrats again!!! 

Good luck to everyone!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8364 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2007, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Can you imagine winning millions of dollars what might happen to you at first glance it's a big shock all of the sudden you have more money than you could probably ever hope to earn in 10 lifetimes.

More money tan you know what to do with. Thousands of ideas and feelings you never had before the euphoric feelings swirling in your mind. You might need a sense of release and one of those feeling is to tell the world about your fortune. Some people might go the other way and want to hide all aspects of their win. People are irrational for the most part they can and will do senseless things much of the time. I say Bunky fell into this trap. He needed an outlet for his emotions, some people are extroverted and some introverted.

Give the man some slack everything he has done since he won he might wish he could take some of it back. He's probably saying to himself what did i go and do that for. Then again being Bunky has always been easy for him he has an outward personality. Since he will be relocating he might well fade into the background with all the other well to do people.

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: September 7, 2007, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

I hope the MM winners step forward and take cash option. I hope the PB winners step forward and take cash option. I also hope these new jackpot winners don't have financial problems later in life. In addition, there was a CA SLP jackpot winner (93 million on 24 rolls) the day after the MM jackpot was hit (330 million).

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7322 Posts
                        Posted: September 7, 2007, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I hope the MM winners step forward and take cash option. I hope the PB winners step forward and take cash option. I also hope these new jackpot winners don't have financial problems later in life. In addition, there was a CA SLP jackpot winner (93 million on 24 rolls) the day after the MM jackpot was hit (330 million).

Just one time I'd like to see you explain why you hope they take the cash option. You have said it hundreds of times but I've yet to see why you believe that is superior to taking the annuity.

And while you're at it, I'd like to see the thought process behind why somebody with a winning MM jackpot ticket would not claim it.

md
                          United States
                          Member #14047
                          April 20, 2005
                          579 Posts
                          Posted: September 7, 2007, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

Del,

I'm not feeling this with Bunky either.  I think this guy is headed for big problems and I hate to see that.  Just or kicks I "Googled" Bunky Bartlett yesterday morning and got over 55,000 hits.  I doubt if all of them are him but I stopped looking after 3 pages of stories, press conferences, interviews, and pictures.

In a state that allows anonimity what kind of nitwit would out himself to the press, start spending money he doesn't have yet, buy a new car, throw a party, appear on 2 network TV shows, committ to investing with his frends as well as committing to give money to charity and announce that he plans to set his family up in a new business?

It's bad enough that this numbskull has placed his life and well being in jeopardy from thieves, kidnappers and all kinds of crooks.  But to do the same with the lives and well being of his family is appalling.

I hope all turns out well for him in spite of himself.

Jim 

Uncle Jim-

Bunky is nutty for his actions for sure.  I am positive he knows no better.  However, some of the post here from members who have been members for some time is even more stunning.  Its not like the term "Sudden Wealth Syndrone" hasn't been shared with LP Members.  It is a real issue.

Many of us, myself included have never handled that amount of money.  But that is no excuse for not educating yourself, per chance you should ever win.  What you have expressed in your post on this subject, others and myself is not a knock on the man himself, because we don't know him.  However, his actions will have a far lasting impact on his life and that of his family.  Out of all the winners, the fact that others haven't come forward is "TELLING."  J.W. is an example no one should ever forget, and the terrible, tragic impact his "SUDDEN WEALTH " had on his marriage, grandchild, etc. 

People, its not rocket science.  All we are sharing is that if you are blessed to win, stay in the background and let "FOOLS Like J.W. and people who presumptously call themselves a damn GURU have the sp[otlight and misery, and you do wise by your winnings and family!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                            Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1954 Posts
                            Posted: September 7, 2007, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Uncle Jim-

Bunky is nutty for his actions for sure.  I am positive he knows no better.  However, some of the post here from members who have been members for some time is even more stunning.  Its not like the term "Sudden Wealth Syndrone" hasn't been shared with LP Members.  It is a real issue.

Many of us, myself included have never handled that amount of money.  But that is no excuse for not educating yourself, per chance you should ever win.  What you have expressed in your post on this subject, others and myself is not a knock on the man himself, because we don't know him.  However, his actions will have a far lasting impact on his life and that of his family.  Out of all the winners, the fact that others haven't come forward is "TELLING."  J.W. is an example no one should ever forget, and the terrible, tragic impact his "SUDDEN WEALTH " had on his marriage, grandchild, etc. 

People, its not rocket science.  All we are sharing is that if you are blessed to win, stay in the background and let "FOOLS Like J.W. and people who presumptously call themselves a damn GURU have the sp[otlight and misery, and you do wise by your winnings and family!

If someone decides to be public about their win, there's nothing wrong with that. You're saying that if someone decides to be public about their win, then that shows something negative about their character, but it doesn't. It all depends on the person who won. Not everyone handles money the same way and not everyone has the same level of vulnerability.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Coastal Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #2653
                              October 30, 2003
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: September 7, 2007, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

You forgot to mention that you hope the SLP winner steps forward, yada yada yada..........

Dude- must you keep on posting the same dam thing over and over and over without explanation ?

Spam