Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ever Voided a Winning Ticket

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Yukio.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7302 Posts
Posted: September 5, 2007, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Double ouch on that situation. ...

Recently I bought a five dollar ticket for a Cash5 $600,000 jackpot. The clerk never changed the tape and the ticket itself came out blurred and blackened beyond readability. I told her to void it and she replied, I cant! The bottom series  lot number is still readable, so just come back and it will tell you if its a winner. That night it hit! For 18 hours I had to wait to see if I was the lucky winner, I go back the next day and the store manager said "sorry but because this ticket doesnt read correctly we cant tell if you won or not" . I explained my situation and his reply was, WEll you should have had her void it! To this day I refuse to leave a store where the ticket is unreadable. I still think I hit ( good ole positive thinking), but the reality is...I'll never know.

That never happens in stores that sell lots of tickets or to clerks that understand what "change the tape" the means. I always look at it this way, if a clerk doesn't have enough common sense to put in a new tape when the machine instructs them to, how could they know if an unreadable ticket was any good or not. It shouldn't be necessary to tell the clerk to void an unreadable ticket if you don't pay for it.

To Tweetietoo:

All I can say is, gawd.

United States
    Member #16612
    June 2, 2005
    3493 Posts
    Posted: September 5, 2007, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

On Mega Millions tickets, I can't cancel the ticket. All sales are final unless I void the ticket.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7302 Posts
      Posted: September 5, 2007, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

On Mega Millions tickets, I can't cancel the ticket. All sales are final unless I void the ticket.

What is the difference between cancel and void?

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: September 5, 2007, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Thud  Leaving    Bash    Dunk  Chair  Doh  Hiding Behind ComputerSurrender  Sad  What?  Dead

Sulk Off Stop  Thumbs Down  Twitch  White Bounce White BounceArgue  Bang Head    Rant  Skeptical  Puke  Boxing    Crying  Sleep 

BS  No Pity!  No No  Cussing Face  No Nod 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: September 5, 2007, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

If you play the lottery very much and is unsure of how much you want to spend you will do that several times.  When ever you void a combination on your ticket to save a dollar that's the chance you take.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: September 12, 2007, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

When I play Mega Millions, I have to decide which numbers will be the winning numbers of the draw before buying it. In California Super Lotto Plus, if I don't like the ticket, I can cancel the ticket and don't pay a dime to same retailer who sold the ticket to me.ChairBashBoxingI Agree!PartySmash

Greenwich, CT
              United States
              Member #4793
              May 24, 2004
              1822 Posts
              Posted: September 12, 2007, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

When I play Mega Millions, I have to decide which numbers will be the winning numbers of the draw before buying it. In California Super Lotto Plus, if I don't like the ticket, I can cancel the ticket and don't pay a dime to same retailer who sold the ticket to me.ChairBashBoxingI Agree!PartySmash

"I have to decide which numbers will be the winning numbers of the draw before buying it."

I do that too!  Rarely works.  Roll Eyes

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: September 14, 2007, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I usually predict my numbers in MADDOG10's MM and PB challenge, but I don't buy a CA SLP until it reaches 48 million.

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: September 15, 2007, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Can't void in PA. If you make a mistake here you just have to throw the sucker away.

(insert signature here)

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7302 Posts
                    Posted: September 16, 2007, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Wouldn't it be easier to fill out a playslip using the numbers you decided on rather than have the clerk run a large number of QPs until you decide which one to buy?

Has a clerk every asked you to buy your tickets at another store?

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                      Jacksonville Florida
                      United States
                      Member #23018
                      October 6, 2005
                      916 Posts
                      Posted: September 16, 2007, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Double ouch on that situation. ...

Recently I bought a five dollar ticket for a Cash5 $600,000 jackpot. The clerk never changed the tape and the ticket itself came out blurred and blackened beyond readability. I told her to void it and she replied, I cant! The bottom series  lot number is still readable, so just come back and it will tell you if its a winner. That night it hit! For 18 hours I had to wait to see if I was the lucky winner, I go back the next day and the store manager said "sorry but because this ticket doesnt read correctly we cant tell if you won or not" . I explained my situation and his reply was, WEll you should have had her void it! To this day I refuse to leave a store where the ticket is unreadable. I still think I hit ( good ole positive thinking), but the reality is...I'll never know.

The lottery office would know if there was a winner at that store regardless of how the ticket printed out. Also, if the validation numbers on the ticket were readable, your regional lottery office could tell if it was a winner (assuming the local store clerk couldn't manually enter the validation numbers).

If you suspect a ticket is a winner and there are special circumstances, always take the ticket to a regional lottery office and explain the situation...

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: September 17, 2007, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

I usually fill out a playslip to decide which numbers I pick on my own. I don't choose quick picks. However, I'm just not lucky when the numbers do come out in the winning numbers. In MM tickets, all sales are final. I can cancel a ticket if it's a CA SLP Pick.ChairBashBatSpamAgree with stupidI Agree!Cussing FaceArgueArgueMadWhat?UnhappyAngrySmashDeadMail For YouPokeSurrenderOogleStopParty

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7302 Posts
                          Posted: September 17, 2007, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

I usually fill out a playslip to decide which numbers I pick on my own. I don't choose quick picks. However, I'm just not lucky when the numbers do come out in the winning numbers. In MM tickets, all sales are final. I can cancel a ticket if it's a CA SLP Pick.ChairBashBatSpamAgree with stupidI Agree!Cussing FaceArgueArgueMadWhat?UnhappyAngrySmashDeadMail For YouPokeSurrenderOogleStopParty

"I usually fill out a playslip to decide which numbers I pick on my own. I don't choose quick picks. However, I'm just not lucky when the numbers do come out in the winning numbers."

When my numbers do come out in the winning numbers, I hand the ticket to a clerk and they give me slips of paper with pictures of former presidents. And every once in a while, I get pictures of a former kite flyer too.

BTW, congradulations on discovering the emotes.

Brazil
                            Member #51781
                            April 24, 2007
                            384 Posts
                            Posted: September 21, 2007, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Is this true?

Sometimes, I miss a lot of hits on the Lottery.

Most of the time their are just tier 2 or tier 3 prizes.

The primary example are on easy types of games, well this is not a great problem since I can't play all games on-line. Usually this does not bother me, because it is easy to find new combinations for "easy" games (ex: Lotofácil 15/25). For particular dates, I even had "full combinations" that would cover the JackPot on some games ...

For some tickets I only get half of the numbers right, and sometimes I miss the correct sets. 

Maybe in the future I will try some Cashball tickets, if I could reach the United States of (North) America. Another particular example is the lower prizes on Euromillions. Well, since until now I don't have any ticket for Cashball or Euromillions I don't know if their would count (maybe, I could try some online bets for Euromillions). Even if my first predictions could be considered "adjusted".