Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You Hit The Lottery - Spouse plans to work Full Time Still

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 9 years ago by s5thomps.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
A long and winding road
United States
Member #17084
June 10, 2005
4582 Posts
Posted: September 21, 2007, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Since I have no spouse I think I have the *fantasy* question answered! 

Against the majority I am one of those that WILL UNDOUBTEDLY keep working. Again and I stress this strongly, MY CAREER isnt about the money! Its about the good causes it creates and contributes too!

So sorry if I blow the concept that a white collar or blue collar worker would be more apt to quit or stay. I am a pink collar, yellow collar and many other collars depending on what my suit requires :P

Since I prefer to travel and such, yeah Id take more time off from my career but that doesnt mean I'd cast it to the side. ANd what gives anyone the right to tell me I should be the good samaritan and give up my job for someone else? I earned that position and I do it well! I am proud to work for a company that does what we do! Suddenly I wouldnt be allowed to work? Puhleese say it aint so! Its not selfish to want to have a purpose in life and not squander it way just because money came into play.

Some folks can work and play in a responsible manner. And NOT dread the drive to work but embrace it as quality time to anticipate the unexpected duties the day entails! I am not a work aholic but I am inclined to enjoy what I do!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: September 21, 2007, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

TheGameGrl

To each his own, but just for the sake of discussion, two questions:

You hit a jackpot and let's say you just put $50,000,000 in the bank.

Do you think you can really still relate to your co-workers? Do you think they can realte to you?

and

Even the sweetest of jobs is going to have bad days and aggravations. Do you think with that kind of mopney you wouldn;t just walk out of there?

Not lottery- but I've seen people become 100% vested in profit sharing and intend to keep working - and the day came when they did in fact take a hike.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: September 21, 2007, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

I love my career.  I would want to continue teaching children to read and become responsible adults. Hubby prefers me to quit now.. but doesn't bug me about it.  It isn't the money. Those of you who teach know that it is a lowing paying job.  Gives you some play money for sure.

Hubby would travel no doubt and we would have to fly when we traveled together so I could be back home for the next school day..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8396 Posts
        Posted: September 21, 2007, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

You Just hit the Lottery and your spouse loves their job and wishes to work full time for years to come. Your plans are to play, travel ,relax and injoy life to the fullest and not be at home at 5 with dinner done and the yard prunned and the house freshly painted. Whats the pro'sBig Grin Angel and cons Evil Smileand possible out come when one mate wishes to keep working and the other the retired and fun life style. Now please view it both ways as if one way the husband wants to keep working and the wife wants to enjoy, compard to the wife working and the husband wishing to enjoy?  Never seen a post as such? What would you do ? Some would feel that they could be contained from enjoying life more than they wish waiting on their mate to get off work and waiting to travel with them when they decided to take vacation from work .... could be a hard adjustment..Lets hear it from you??Smile 

If you win the lottery for more than 30 million i see no reason to keep you job unless your a brain surgeon or working some kind of research field where you are involved in finding a cure for some disease. There aren't too many jobs worth keeping when you have won the lottery and acquired more money than you could possibly earn in your lifetime.

Of course if your passion is to work then so be it. But i would make some kind of compromise. Some jobs have more leave time than others. Work it out.

Jake's avatar - animal bird.jpg

United States
          Member #2217
          September 1, 2003
          985 Posts
          Posted: September 21, 2007, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

All things considered, think I'll remain blissfully single.  Love's fine, but this money thing is nuts.  Wink

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4582 Posts
            Posted: September 21, 2007, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

TheGameGrl

To each his own, but just for the sake of discussion, two questions:

You hit a jackpot and let's say you just put $50,000,000 in the bank.

Do you think you can really still relate to your co-workers? Do you think they can realte to you?

and

Even the sweetest of jobs is going to have bad days and aggravations. Do you think with that kind of mopney you wouldn;t just walk out of there?

Not lottery- but I've seen people become 100% vested in profit sharing and intend to keep working - and the day came when they did in fact take a hike.  

In answer to your question- My skills in working with my co-workers would remain as is. We arent a group that begrudges someone for having a nest egg of any sorts. My boss could quit on a dime with his vested money. But our small group ISNT there for the almighty dollar , we carry a meaning and purpose that affects the community and without that we would be doing a grave disservice to just pack up the minute one of us gained financially. Beleive it or not, most of my co workers are genuinely supportive and respecting.

I would no more walk out of a job simply because I am having challenging moments then I would a relationship that has challenges and room to grow. Sorry but endurance and tolerance in  the work field builds character. Do you walk out on people that you've forged relationships with merely because money has blown your way?

Thank you for regarding my opinion. I think another poster said it best, some careers like teaching arent about the money. There is something more invaluable that takes place by affecting a person in a positive way!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: September 21, 2007, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

Let her work.  She will soon see the light.  I'll give her 2 days and then I bet she will quit.  She will come to realize it is not worth it. 

SoBe Yourself's avatar - lizard3
                Baltimore
                United States
                Member #54999
                September 5, 2007
                47 Posts
                Posted: September 22, 2007, 12:10 am - IP Logged

I love my career.  I would want to continue teaching children to read and become responsible adults. Hubby prefers me to quit now.. but doesn't bug me about it.  It isn't the money. Those of you who teach know that it is a lowing paying job.  Gives you some play money for sure.

Hubby would travel no doubt and we would have to fly when we traveled together so I could be back home for the next school day..

Ain't that the truth. My sister is a music teacher down south and she doesn't make squat. Put it this way, I'm a low level employee for a major vendor and I make at least $10,000 more than her.

However, she does it because she's a heck of a singer and wants to help other kids find their musical talent.

"Greed makes people do strange things."

-classic Peanuts cartoon strip

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: September 22, 2007, 12:33 am - IP Logged

OK, I'll ask- for everyone in this thread saying money doesn't mean that much to you- why are you playing lotto?

What?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Baltimore
                    United States
                    Member #54999
                    September 5, 2007
                    47 Posts
                    Posted: September 22, 2007, 12:59 am - IP Logged

OK, I'll ask- for everyone in this thread saying money doesn't mean that much to you- why are you playing lotto?

What?

I would LOVE to hit the lottery. I could not possibly tell you how happy I would be if I won.

Having said that, money is not ALWAYS the solution. Doesn't mean that it (when used wisely) solves a heckuva lot of problems.Big Smile

Let's also add that playing can be a bit of a rush because it's a game of chance.

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3502 Posts
                      Posted: September 22, 2007, 1:21 am - IP Logged

What?

Personally, I'm puzzled by most people who have jobs when they don't need the money, but your question misses the point.  Almost all of us could  have more money by making some sort of sacrifice, whether it's cutting back on our spending, working more, or taking a different job that we don't like as much as (or dislike more than) our current jobs.The few bucks most people spend on the lottery is a trivial sacrifice, even compared to the slim chance that it will return a substantial amount of money.

As far as working when we don't need the money, I figure the majority of people would find something else to do if they no longer got paid for their job, even if they like the job. That's different than being paid but not needing the money (or more money). There's also a difference between having a job and working. I think those are both important distinctions. As a practical matter, if a windfall gives you an income of 500k or more before you even get out of bed in the morning I think the vast majority of people will definitely decide that their salary isn't enough to keep them at their current job. After that it's just a question of whether they quit all together, continue doing something similar on a volunteer basis, or continue to put up with the downsides of the current job in exchange for whatever non-monetary rewards they think they're getting. 

FWIW, I think the vast majority of people who think they could win a lottery jackpot and continue to have the same relationship with all of their coworkers is being extremely optimistic. Human nature is such that some people, and particularly the ones who might advance if your job became available are going to resent you. No matter how good you are at your job, somebody below you probably thinks they  deserve your job more than you do already. When you don't even need the job that resentment is only going to increase. The only real question is how they will deal with that resentment.

Baltimore
                        United States
                        Member #54999
                        September 5, 2007
                        47 Posts
                        Posted: September 22, 2007, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Personally, I'm puzzled by most people who have jobs when they don't need the money, but your question misses the point.  Almost all of us could  have more money by making some sort of sacrifice, whether it's cutting back on our spending, working more, or taking a different job that we don't like as much as (or dislike more than) our current jobs.The few bucks most people spend on the lottery is a trivial sacrifice, even compared to the slim chance that it will return a substantial amount of money.

As far as working when we don't need the money, I figure the majority of people would find something else to do if they no longer got paid for their job, even if they like the job. That's different than being paid but not needing the money (or more money). There's also a difference between having a job and working. I think those are both important distinctions. As a practical matter, if a windfall gives you an income of 500k or more before you even get out of bed in the morning I think the vast majority of people will definitely decide that their salary isn't enough to keep them at their current job. After that it's just a question of whether they quit all together, continue doing something similar on a volunteer basis, or continue to put up with the downsides of the current job in exchange for whatever non-monetary rewards they think they're getting. 

FWIW, I think the vast majority of people who think they could win a lottery jackpot and continue to have the same relationship with all of their coworkers is being extremely optimistic. Human nature is such that some people, and particularly the ones who might advance if your job became available are going to resent you. No matter how good you are at your job, somebody below you probably thinks they  deserve your job more than you do already. When you don't even need the job that resentment is only going to increase. The only real question is how they will deal with that resentment.

Greatest. Post. Ever.

Cheers

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                          Hard Luck, Ak
                          United States
                          Member #23472
                          October 13, 2005
                          279 Posts
                          Posted: September 22, 2007, 2:42 am - IP Logged

What?

Coin Toss let me be the one to tell you that I enjoy reading your posts, You really have good insight!  I know that if I were to ever hit the lottery I wouldn't give my job a second thought. After talking to a good financial planner and coming up with a strategy  to make the money last, I would give my 2 weeks notice and not look back.  Most Americans work to live and not live to work, I just happen to be one of those people who work to live. I have a good stable government job, but let me tell you that I get no fullfilment out of it, to me it is just a paycheck. I know that I should not feel this way but I do. I would play it cool and not tell anyone that I work with that I won and then just go off into the sunset to enjoy the rest of my life.            Party