Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

can the powerplay numbers be predicted?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
stephi's avatar - winifrid
rural lowcountry, south carolina
United States
Member #31677
February 2, 2006
196 Posts
Posted: September 28, 2007, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Hello. Just a curiousity question. I was wondering if the powerplay (2,3,4, and 5) numbers could be predicted?
thank you.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: September 28, 2007, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Hello. Just a curiousity question. I was wondering if the powerplay (2,3,4, and 5) numbers could be predicted?
    thank you.

No. Why do you need to predict the PowerPlay number?

Gonna win.Big Smile

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3471 Posts
      Posted: September 28, 2007, 10:44 am - IP Logged

No. Why do you need to predict the PowerPlay number?

Because if you knew it was going to be 2 it would be really stupid to play it. If you knew it would be more than 2 then it makes more sense, assuming you were planning on spending $2 anyway.

United States
        Member #24439
        October 22, 2005
        638 Posts
        Posted: September 28, 2007, 11:11 am - IP Logged

Why do you say No. If you can't predict  1 out of 4 numbers, Why are there people here trying to predict 1 out 150 Million.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
          Member #91
          January 19, 2002
          11904 Posts
          Posted: September 28, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

thank you.

You can predict anything....you just won't always be right!

but if you feel strongly about getting a hit, then why wouldn't you put in that extra buck on a chance to at least double your prize? 

unless you want to predict a powerplay of 5 and play all the powerballs....still a losing proposition I believe

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Indiana
            United States
            Member #48725
            January 7, 2007
            1953 Posts
            Posted: September 28, 2007, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Because if you knew it was going to be 2 it would be really stupid to play it. If you knew it would be more than 2 then it makes more sense, assuming you were planning on spending $2 anyway.

I disagree. The only thing I think someone needs to concern themself as far as PowerPlay goes is simply whether or not they want to play, that's all. There is no way to tell what the next PowerPlay number will be so whether it be 2, 3, 4, or 5 the person needs to decide if they want to spend an extra $1. What matters is how confident they feel in the other numbers.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: September 28, 2007, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

Why do you say No. If you can't predict  1 out of 4 numbers, Why are there people here trying to predict 1 out 150 Million.

Well first, the PowerPlay number is 1 number from its own separate pool of numbers. Second, I have said to people that a person could potentially cut their odds of a Pick 5 game down to less than Pick 4 game odds. Reason? Well because all the numbers drawn for a Pick 5 game all come from the same pool(for example, 1-36). In a Pick 4 game, all 4 numbers are chosen from a separate 0-9 pool. You can give yourself an advantage using a system by looking at something I call "set characteristics" for Pick 5(and Pick 6) games. For example, PowerBall is a Pick 5+1 game. The odds of winning are 1 in 146,107,962. Out of the 6 numbers drawn for PowerBall, 5 of them(the white balls) are chosen from the same pool of 1-55. This would allow you to use set characteristics in your system. The PowerBall would rely completely on luck though. Even though mathematically picking 5/55 + 1/42 has the same odds as picking 1/146,107,962, that doesn't mean you can't use filters that look at set characteristics(which you find by looking at past results), and apply them towards the current selection. Looking at past results, you can filter thousands(for Pick 5) or millions(for Pick 6) of combinations that probably won't end up winning the jackpot. This is exactly why I wrote a computer program to do this for me.

Gonna win.Big Smile

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: September 28, 2007, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

thank you.

Not directly, but I won't say "no". Ponder

More like whatever powerplay number came up last drawing, has a 1 in 4 chance of repeating and a 3 in 4 chance of not repeating in the next draw. Someone interested enough might dig around and find a pattern or 2 in the string of numbers. Cool

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19815 Posts
                  Posted: September 28, 2007, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

thank you.

It's the easiest of all the numbers to predict because there are less of them, the problem is you can't play the number.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rteague's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    North Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #54608
                    August 24, 2007
                    1181 Posts
                    Posted: September 28, 2007, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

STUPID ????  so doubleing your winnings is STUPID ???  wow thats a new one on me...

Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1953 Posts
                      Posted: September 28, 2007, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

STUPID ????  so doubleing your winnings is STUPID ???  wow thats a new one on me...

That's what I'm saying. If someone is playing PowerPlay, they have decided to play knowing the it could be 2, 3, 4, or 5 times and they are willing to spend the extra $1 even if it ends up being 2.

Gonna win.Big Smile

stephi's avatar - winifrid
                        rural lowcountry, south carolina
                        United States
                        Member #31677
                        February 2, 2006
                        196 Posts
                        Posted: September 28, 2007, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

I thank you all for your help, it is helpful and i appreciate it. thank you.

rteague's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #54608
                          August 24, 2007
                          1181 Posts
                          Posted: September 28, 2007, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

so Guru you're with me in saying 2 is better than 1 right ??

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                            Member #50124
                            February 26, 2007
                            601 Posts
                            Posted: September 28, 2007, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

That's what I'm saying. If someone is playing PowerPlay, they have decided to play knowing the it could be 2, 3, 4, or 5 times and they are willing to spend the extra $1 even if it ends up being 2.

"...they are willing to spend the extra $1 even if it ends up being 2."

That's exactly what I based my decision on.  If I match 5 white balls without the powerplay I'd get around $130K after taxes.  If I match 5 with the powerplay, the minimum I'd take home is $260K.   The difference between those two amounts is the difference between being able to pay cash for a dump or paying cash for a decent home in this area.  Therefore, the extra $1 is worth it to me, even if the multiplier does end up being only X2.  I always get the powerplay.

Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #48725
                              January 7, 2007
                              1953 Posts
                              Posted: September 28, 2007, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

so Guru you're with me in saying 2 is better than 1 right ??

Yes.

Gonna win.Big Smile