Welcome Guest
You last visited June 22, 2017, 2:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Win/Job Decision

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MegaWinner.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If You just found out you won while at work, would you ...

Leave a 2 weeks notice [ 20 ]  [19.80%]
Quit that day [ 13 ]  [12.87%]
Tell your boss off [ 3 ]  [2.97%]
Take a leave of absence and never come back [ 13 ]  [12.87%]
Not tell anyone,continue working and think on it [ 48 ]  [47.52%]
Scream out loud.. "I WON!!!" for all to hear [ 2 ]  [1.98%]
Not sure [ 2 ]  [1.98%]
Total Valid Votes [ 101 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #46570
September 14, 2006
558 Posts
Posted: October 1, 2007, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

If you just found out you won a large multi-million dollar jackpot while at work, what would be the first thing you do as you hold that winning ticket in your hand and your stunned with shock ? For me personally, I'd keep it under wraps and when I got out of work, I'd go to a lottery agent and see how many winners there were 1st, then decide if I really wanted to stay where I was working and just not say anything to anyone ..or leave a few days notice.

See full size image                                               

Don't Play more, Play Smarter!

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
    Member #55246
    September 20, 2007
    225 Posts
    Posted: October 1, 2007, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

1.  Go to the rest room, lock the door, kneel down, pray, cry,  thank God for this windfall.

2.  Continue working for the day, making conscious  effort not to smile too much and  hug everyone I meet.

3.  Go home, obey traffic rules (now is not the best time to die).

4.  Sign and scan my ticket: front and back. Make copies and keep it in safe places around the house. Print out map for the nearest lottery HQ

5.  Go to the post office, subscribe a PO box before I report to work the next day. My officemates will not notice I did not sleep a wink because my adrenaline is in high concentration.

6.  My days off fall on Sunday and Monday. On my next day off, I will go to the lottery office, arrange for the $$$$ to be deposited to our bank account.

7.  Request my dear sweet wife to check our bank account balance on the day it is credited to our account.

8.  Kneel down and pray. I know this is what she will suggest we will do when she sees the bank account balance.

9.  I will probably buy our company. I will hire the same people who have been running this company for the longest time. My boss will  no longer be my boss, but he will retain his position. Everybody gets a raise. I will only hire one more employee, the one who would replace me. My boss will get the respect  and honor he deserves in the form of bennies.

Florida
      United States
      Member #46570
      September 14, 2006
      558 Posts
      Posted: October 1, 2007, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

1.  Go to the rest room, lock the door, kneel down, pray, cry,  thank God for this windfall.

2.  Continue working for the day, making conscious  effort not to smile too much and  hug everyone I meet.

3.  Go home, obey traffic rules (now is not the best time to die).

4.  Sign and scan my ticket: front and back. Make copies and keep it in safe places around the house. Print out map for the nearest lottery HQ

5.  Go to the post office, subscribe a PO box before I report to work the next day. My officemates will not notice I did not sleep a wink because my adrenaline is in high concentration.

6.  My days off fall on Sunday and Monday. On my next day off, I will go to the lottery office, arrange for the $$$$ to be deposited to our bank account.

7.  Request my dear sweet wife to check our bank account balance on the day it is credited to our account.

8.  Kneel down and pray. I know this is what she will suggest we will do when she sees the bank account balance.

9.  I will probably buy our company. I will hire the same people who have been running this company for the longest time. My boss will  no longer be my boss, but he will retain his position. Everybody gets a raise. I will only hire one more employee, the one who would replace me. My boss will get the respect  and honor he deserves in the form of bennies.

Nice post Jack Pot .. I should have put a 'kneel down and pray' choice in the list, cause I'd be doing just that as well. After my few days notice goes by, and I'm in early retirement, I would travel for a few months, then begin on my way hiring the best of the best to get me in the best shape of my life by hiring trainers, and other professionals in their fields to learn and do all this things I always wanted to do... like learn a few languages, learn how to fly a plane/helicopter, learn martial arts/self defense, and other things I can't even think of now, but will later ...heh..Smile

See full size image                                               

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23700 Posts
        Posted: October 1, 2007, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Lottery Discussion forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1958 Posts
          Posted: October 1, 2007, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

I would tell off my boss and quit right then. See ya!

Gonna win.Big Smile

JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8800 Posts
            Posted: October 1, 2007, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

I would hire all the radio stations The day I do not show for work to play the song "take this job and shove it".
            Every 10th song all morning.

Oo'Ka

United States
              Member #54390
              August 17, 2007
              313 Posts
              Posted: October 1, 2007, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

I'll be so happy that I wouldn't be shy in asking my girl of my dreams out to dinner.  But I won't tell her about my winfall.    Quit Community College and apply to a college of my dreams. Purchase a used Hyundai Sonata and travel to all 50 states.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                Member #4121
                March 23, 2004
                817 Posts
                Posted: October 2, 2007, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Leave a 2 weeks notice.  Tell them going back to school.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: October 2, 2007, 2:11 am - IP Logged

Having money shouldn't change one's character.  If the people you work for have always been fair to you, then I think it's only proper to give as much notice as necessary (2 or 3 weeks) if leaving suddenly without a replacement would cause chaos.  If your boss is a jerk and yells at you all the time, then maybe don't give notice, but you still need to feel good about yourself.  We've had the discussion many times about whether a person would or should continue to work.  Some people love their jobs and wouldn't want to leave while others would quit in a flash.  I am currently self-employed (or unemployed...whichever sounds better)  However, if I won I would never want anyone to know.  I might just tell people I decided to move back to Boston.

JADELottery's avatar - PabstBlueRibbon 0.PNG
                    The Quantum Master
                    West Concord, MN
                    United States
                    Member #21
                    December 7, 2001
                    3857 Posts
                    Posted: October 4, 2007, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

I'd keep working till my lottery winnings are gone.

A few weeks of mass spending sprees should do the trick.

Naughty

jk

Wink

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
                    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
                    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
                    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
                    Wisdom is Not Censored
                    Douglas Paul Smallish
                    Jehocifer

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                      Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                      United States
                      Member #54079
                      August 3, 2007
                      106 Posts
                      Posted: October 4, 2007, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

I guess that I'm confused--since we're on a

WEBSITE

that's on a

COMPUTER ON THE INTERNET

why on earth wouldn't you log onto the Lottery Commish for your state and find out if you own the winning numbers there (before  leaving the house) and, if you've won a  JACKPOT or 1st tier prize--take the damn day OFF!!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: October 4, 2007, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

I guess that I'm confused--since we're on a

WEBSITE

that's on a

COMPUTER ON THE INTERNET

why on earth wouldn't you log onto the Lottery Commish for your state and find out if you own the winning numbers there (before  leaving the house) and, if you've won a  JACKPOT or 1st tier prize--take the damn day OFF!!

Shows you how quickly we all read the posts.  You are right!  I just read it as one of those "if you won, would you quit" type of questions.  I didn't even notice it says "while at work."

I guess if we really want to get analytical, we can say this is for people who work the 11pm to 7am shift.  You buy your ticket on the way to work and during your break at 2 you find out your numbers were drawn.

Florida
                          United States
                          Member #46570
                          September 14, 2006
                          558 Posts
                          Posted: October 5, 2007, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Shows you how quickly we all read the posts.  You are right!  I just read it as one of those "if you won, would you quit" type of questions.  I didn't even notice it says "while at work."

I guess if we really want to get analytical, we can say this is for people who work the 11pm to 7am shift.  You buy your ticket on the way to work and during your break at 2 you find out your numbers were drawn.

Why do you need to be on the night shift ?!?! Confused What?

If you buy your tickets after work each day and dont get a chance to see if you won as most lotto draws come out at 11:55pm , then you would check them later on after you got to work at 8 am or 9-5 . Pumpkin

See full size image                                               

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
                            Norfolk , Va
                            United States
                            Member #4541
                            May 2, 2004
                            25741 Posts
                            Posted: October 5, 2007, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

If I could get back to work ( which may happen soon ) after this illness I've had since July, I would most likely keep working and not tell anyone.  I like my job I have been doing for 30 odd years.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

rteague's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #54608
                              August 24, 2007
                              1181 Posts
                              Posted: October 5, 2007, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

as a small business owner of a cellular store,i would probably keep working,although putting in way less hours,hiring someone to run it for me...i do enjoy my business,but the winnings sure would relieve some pressure and stress of being a small business owner as the overhead some months well exceeds the sales...if the winnings were in the millions which if it were mega millions or powerball then it would be,i'd probably find that "life" starts getting in the way of going to the office...but it would be kinda cool to just pop in once or twice a month just to see how things are going....and besides,too also,i have a residual income of over 1,000 customers that i get "small" percentage of there phone bill monthly...so it would be kinda crazy to just close it down.....lmao