Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Win/Job Decision

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 9 years ago by MegaWinner.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If You just found out you won while at work, would you ...

Leave a 2 weeks notice [ 20 ]  [19.80%]
Quit that day [ 13 ]  [12.87%]
Tell your boss off [ 3 ]  [2.97%]
Take a leave of absence and never come back [ 13 ]  [12.87%]
Not tell anyone,continue working and think on it [ 48 ]  [47.52%]
Scream out loud.. "I WON!!!" for all to hear [ 2 ]  [1.98%]
Not sure [ 2 ]  [1.98%]
Total Valid Votes [ 101 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: October 6, 2007, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

If I could get back to work ( which may happen soon ) after this illness I've had since July, I would most likely keep working and not tell anyone.  I like my job I have been doing for 30 odd years.

I am sorry you aren't feeling well, Blackie.  I hope you recover soon.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
    Norfolk , Va
    United States
    Member #4541
    May 2, 2004
    25092 Posts
    Posted: October 6, 2007, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Justxploring!!!

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

United States
      Member #55473
      October 4, 2007
      28 Posts
      Posted: October 9, 2007, 5:26 am - IP Logged

i'd thank god for the blessing that happened and i'd take a leave of absense and never go back i'd stay in school (i'm a college student) but i'd switch to online classes buy a big house get the best electronics go to sports event i've never been able to go to and start my own real estate you know fixing up houses and selling them lol

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
        PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: October 10, 2007, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Depends how bad the job is. If it is bad I would walk out the same day, or finish the day off until I was sure. Depends on how big the win was, and whether or not I could afford to quit right away.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
          Washington State
          United States
          Member #33973
          February 26, 2006
          347 Posts
          Posted: October 12, 2007, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I'm retired now, so it is no longer an issue.  However, had I won back in my teaching days, I would have completed the contract year before quitting or claiming the jackpot.  Or if the win was in the first semester, I'd have made a request to be let out of the contract so that I could claim the jackpot after the end of the semester.  Washington State allows only 180 days to make a claim and there is no way I'd want to be teaching in a high school after the students knew I was a millionaire!

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #1303
            March 27, 2003
            1508 Posts
            Posted: October 14, 2007, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

I think it would depend upon how m uch you had left over after taxes.

If you could live on $25,000 a year before taxes, then if you had at least $500,000 lump sum to invest at 5% per year, you could do it.  Otherwise, you continue working.  These days, a half-million dollars is barely enough to retire on unless you have another revenue source. (who woulda thunk?)

If you had millions in lump sum, you would probably have to quit working just because of the time it would take you to manage your money.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4523 Posts
              Posted: October 18, 2007, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

The PA Lottery Hdqrters is 5 mins to my work place. I'd have no problem swinging by there to file the claims. Knowing Full well that the money isnt going to hit my accounts, I still need to work those six weeks.

I enjoyed the poster who would buy his company he works for. What a great idea! Be your own boss set your hours and benefit from having a productive staff.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: October 21, 2007, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I chose to quit right away. The shortage of long haul truck drivers is about a million nationwide, so one less driver wouldn't mean a thing. The average turnover rate is about 50 percent within the first 30 days, and 92 percent after one year. They lie alot to lure students, so I don't feel guilty whatsoever. Not to mention 4,000 dollar interest on a 2,500 dollar loan.I've survived 3 weeks so far, but i found a company that'll pay substantially more. 

Obviously if someone has a job that is crucial for a notice, then it wouldn't be nice to quit.

Madison, TN
                  United States
                  Member #13436
                  April 6, 2005
                  8 Posts
                  Posted: October 24, 2007, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

My options not listed...so I'll just say it...

I would do a 6-8 week notice. In what I do it takes some time to get a person up to speed so to say. With all the different computer systems we work on and the way we do things etc. They've been a good company to me. But during those 6-8 weeks I would have really great weekends! Flying out on a Friday night and back on a Sunday I could do all kinds of things. Not to mention, even if I didn't go out of town there would be so many loose ends to tie up...not to mention waiting for the money to actually hit your account so that you could have access to it.

Selling my current house, buying a new one, etc would be the kinds of things I could take care of during those 6-8 weeks.

Kimism

Member #0
                    January 1, 2000
                    0 Posts
                    Posted: October 24, 2007, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Assuming that my jackpot is several million $$ after taxes,I'll buy a top of the line motorhome and travel for a year.I've seen a lot of this beautiful country but I'd like to peek into every nook and cranny of it.Somewhere in my travels I'll find the perfect place to build a vacation home.

Member #0
                      January 1, 2000
                      0 Posts
                      Posted: October 24, 2007, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Assuming that my jackpot is several million $$ after taxes,I'll buy a top of the line motorhome and travel for a year.I've seen a lot of this beautiful country but I'd like to peek into every nook and cranny of it.Somewhere in my travels I'll find the perfect place to build a vacation home.

I'll give the boss the same notice he would give me if he was going to fire me...NONE!

Baton Rouge, LA
                        United States
                        Member #4602
                        May 7, 2004
                        699 Posts
                        Posted: October 27, 2007, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

I guess that I'm confused--since we're on a

WEBSITE

that's on a

COMPUTER ON THE INTERNET

why on earth wouldn't you log onto the Lottery Commish for your state and find out if you own the winning numbers there (before  leaving the house) and, if you've won a  JACKPOT or 1st tier prize--take the damn day OFF!!

Interesting question.  Not all states post ther results on their websites right away.  In my state, Louisiana, drawings are held at just before 10PM, but the results aren't usually posted to the WWW until an hour or two later.  Since I have to get up and go to work the next day, I usually don't stay up to find out.  My state will also Email the winning numbers to anyone who subscribes, so I have them emailed to a Yahoo account and check it there.  My employer has blocking software on their servers so I can't access any "gambling" sites, which includes the Lottery.

Powerball usually has their results up within 30 minutes of the drawing, so I check there.  I sometimes check state results before I leave for work, but don't always get the chance to.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          699 Posts
                          Posted: October 28, 2007, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Having money shouldn't change one's character.  If the people you work for have always been fair to you, then I think it's only proper to give as much notice as necessary (2 or 3 weeks) if leaving suddenly without a replacement would cause chaos.  If your boss is a jerk and yells at you all the time, then maybe don't give notice, but you still need to feel good about yourself.  We've had the discussion many times about whether a person would or should continue to work.  Some people love their jobs and wouldn't want to leave while others would quit in a flash.  I am currently self-employed (or unemployed...whichever sounds better)  However, if I won I would never want anyone to know.  I might just tell people I decided to move back to Boston.

That is true.  My coworkers and my boss are pretty good to me, so I would give them fair notice.  I would also not want anyone to know to keep away the moochers, opportunists, etc., so this is what I would do.

If I found out while at work, the first thing I would do is keep it to myself, not smile too much, not act excited, etc.  The next thing I'd do is set up a means to claim it anonymously using a trust, a corporation, etc., and have a representative claim it for me.  I'd also consult a financial manager to see if it would be possible to make this jackpot last the rest of my life and if so, then I'd plan to quit.

Once I got the money, the first thing I'd do is pay off all my debts, mortgage, car loan, etc., but I'd keep working for a while, perhaps 6 months or so.  The reasons for this are to avert suspicion and to be able to really think about what I want to do next.  After 6 months or so, the excitement of a local winner would have died down, I would turn in my 2 weeks notice, giving a reason such as I want to do something different, or if I decide to do so, moving away.

Then I'd start a new, better life, being able to devote my time to things I want to do.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
                            Houston, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #56457
                            November 19, 2007
                            55 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2007, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

First, I would have to slap myself to see if I was delusional!!! Man, winning a life changing jackpot--I would leave after a two week notice. I work in a NICU so I would like to leave my friends and co-workers with enough notice to find a replacement, wouldn't want to have left them short handed, as the wee one's would suffer.

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
                              Houston, Texas
                              United States
                              Member #56457
                              November 19, 2007
                              55 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2007, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

I'll give the boss the same notice he would give me if he was going to fire me...NONE!

Jester Laugh that's funny!!!!!

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."