Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I don't get it. Maybe Rude cashier?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 9 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #54390
August 17, 2007
313 Posts
Posted: October 7, 2007, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

A customer who purchase a keg of beer at $70.00 is ok.

A customer who purchase a carton of cigerettes at $40.00 is ok

But a customer who purchases $40 worth of Hoosier Lotto is insane and dumb. 

Yep, this is what happened to me today.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: October 7, 2007, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

Don't forget if you end up winning any money because of your insanity, the clerk will expect a nice tip.

They understand a person spending money to support a drinking or smoking habit but why would anyone want to waste $40 on lottery tickets?  Even some of those folks buying the beer and cigarettes feel the same way.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: October 8, 2007, 12:06 am - IP Logged

It really depends on where you go. Don't forget, some people are just jerks. One place where I like to buy my tickets, I was once behind a guy who bought $100 worth of online games and scratch-offs. The clerk didn't give him any hassle. And neither did I. Smile I was actually glad he was in front (well ... that once), because it makes any amount I spend there look "normal".

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: October 8, 2007, 1:07 am - IP Logged

It's not only lottery tickets.  People are always into other people's business, don't you agree?  The other day a man began commenting on the contents of my wallet.  (can you believe that?) He obviously mistook my various cards (driver's license, library card, AAA card, Blockbuster card, etc.) for credit cards, not that it should matter to him, and said "Lady, if I were your husband, blah, blah."  I said "Sir, if you were my husband, I'd have run off with another man a long time ago."  I've also been in line and someone's made a comment about my grocery purchases!  "Why are buying low fat yogurt and waffles?"  I'm not mean, so I just smile, but I want to respond "and why aren't you ashamed to leave the house looking like a slob?"

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: October 8, 2007, 1:17 am - IP Logged

As I said in the past many times, screw the clerk they did nothing they were not paid to do. I will give them a tip, get a better job that pays better. You are dirt to them unless of course you win. Everybody wants to jump on that bandwagon. I am too smart for that.

United States
            Member #47881
            November 30, 2006
            15 Posts
            Posted: October 8, 2007, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Not to be rude, but this newbie has to sound off on this...

Despite the Hoosier Lottery's troubles, and how silly it may be to spend more than $1 on a troubled lottery, why do you think you have the right to judge someone elses purchases?

No matter what this person looked like (rich, poor, old, young, white, minority) so what if he/she wants to spend their own money on the lottery. I've spent WAY more than that on one drawing multiple times, and sometimes I lose money but sometimes I win it back and then some. I'm a young white kid. One of the things that I hate the MOST about my lottery habit is when the tickets are printing and its taking a little while, I wonder if the people behind me thinking "Why is he throwing his money away on that?"

My attitude is that I work for my money, and I'll spend it however I damn well please, no matter what the person/people behind me are thinking. I don't like being judged for my purchases.

Someone please tell me if I missed the point of this thread...was SmoothJuice's post intended to judge the person in front of him/her today for buying Indiana tickets or was the problem the $40?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: October 8, 2007, 1:43 am - IP Logged

"Someone please tell me if I missed the point of this thread...was SmoothJuice's post intended to judge the person in front of him/her today for buying Indiana tickets or was the problem the $40?"

Jarrettac, go back and read the title of the thread.  I believe SmoothJuice was saying that he purchased $40 worth of Hoosier tickets and the clerk was rude to him, while others spent just as much or more on beer and cigarettes.  So I guess he's asking which is dumber - spending $200 a month on something that causes cancer or liver damage or something that might make you rich? Actually, I think it's all a waste of money, but I buy lottery tickets anyway since they don't make me cough or give me gas.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: October 8, 2007, 1:46 am - IP Logged

It's not only lottery tickets.  People are always into other people's business, don't you agree?  The other day a man began commenting on the contents of my wallet.  (can you believe that?) He obviously mistook my various cards (driver's license, library card, AAA card, Blockbuster card, etc.) for credit cards, not that it should matter to him, and said "Lady, if I were your husband, blah, blah."  I said "Sir, if you were my husband, I'd have run off with another man a long time ago."  I've also been in line and someone's made a comment about my grocery purchases!  "Why are buying low fat yogurt and waffles?"  I'm not mean, so I just smile, but I want to respond "and why aren't you ashamed to leave the house looking like a slob?"

I love the "running off" line.

United States
                  Member #47881
                  November 30, 2006
                  15 Posts
                  Posted: October 8, 2007, 5:09 am - IP Logged

"Someone please tell me if I missed the point of this thread...was SmoothJuice's post intended to judge the person in front of him/her today for buying Indiana tickets or was the problem the $40?"

Jarrettac, go back and read the title of the thread.  I believe SmoothJuice was saying that he purchased $40 worth of Hoosier tickets and the clerk was rude to him, while others spent just as much or more on beer and cigarettes.  So I guess he's asking which is dumber - spending $200 a month on something that causes cancer or liver damage or something that might make you rich? Actually, I think it's all a waste of money, but I buy lottery tickets anyway since they don't make me cough or give me gas.

JX, Thank you. I had a feeling that I may have interpreted the intended meaning incorrectly when I was finished typing. I've retracted my post. :)

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                    Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #1303
                    March 27, 2003
                    1508 Posts
                    Posted: October 8, 2007, 6:08 am - IP Logged

I said "Sir, if you were my husband, I'd have run off with another man a long time ago."

WTG !  Green laugh

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      51178 Posts
                      Posted: October 8, 2007, 8:50 am - IP Logged

You're not alone on that one SmoothJuice!

You might also want to review this thread:

Store Clerk Judging You

For additional replys on the subject!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: October 8, 2007, 9:37 am - IP Logged

when someone gets into my business,  I hand them a kleenex.   

I do this with the kids at school too. 

I say

"get my business off your nose."

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: October 8, 2007, 9:40 am - IP Logged

As I said in the past many times, screw the clerk they did nothing they were not paid to do. I will give them a tip, get a better job that pays better. You are dirt to them unless of course you win. Everybody wants to jump on that bandwagon. I am too smart for that.

I am not sure what others made selling lotto tickets,  I brought in $380 a week after taxes for 4 seven hour shifts and 1 six hour shift.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

onenumber's avatar - swordgirl
                            Chicago, IL
                            United States
                            Member #8354
                            November 2, 2004
                            1580 Posts
                            Posted: October 8, 2007, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

justxploring,,,you are soooo funny!

Green laugh

middle Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #1893
                              July 20, 2003
                              1868 Posts
                              Posted: October 8, 2007, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

justxploring, you're on a roll!!!!!  The last part of the last sentence got my attention!Green laugh