Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

small multi line lottos

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by lottobrain.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
louisville ky
United States
Member #55826
October 21, 2007
7 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2007, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

I have recently been looking at multi line lottos such as three line lotto in Kentcky and mix and match in Indianna. any one have any experience with this type of game.

tplayer

louisville ky
    United States
    Member #55826
    October 21, 2007
    7 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2007, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

I have recently been looking at multi line lottos such as three line lotto in Kentcky and mix and match in Indianna. any one have any experience with this type of game.

tplayer

let me add some info

Ky's three line lotto

6/39 with ticket cost of $2

player picks the first line of 6 numbers then the machine adds two quick pick lines for a total of 3 lines on each play slip

JP starts at 100k and progresses by 15k until hit   recent JPs 190k-370k

6 numbers on any line pays the JP

3,4,5 numbers on a line are also winners         5,6,7,8,9,10 any where on play slip are also winners overall chances = 1:6.4

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3501 Posts
      Posted: October 24, 2007, 2:50 am - IP Logged

What is it you want to know?  Having multiple lines on the ticket without an additional charge is simply one way for the lottery to design the odds they want to offer. A single line in a 6/39 game would give you a 1 in 3,262,623 chance of winning.  By giving you 3 lines for the same price the odds are brought down to 3 in 3,262,623, or 1 in 1,087,541. They could do almost the same thing by offering a 5/44 game, with odds of 1 in 1,086,008 playing a single line.

Of course reducing the odds to 1/3 also means the prizes will be 1/3 of what they would be if you only had one line. It all comes down to the ticket cost, odds and the prize. The other details are just window dressing, except when you're forced to accept a QP for some of your lines.

louisville ky
        United States
        Member #55826
        October 21, 2007
        7 Posts
        Posted: October 24, 2007, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

what i am asking         is this loto a decent bet. 

i understand odds and such.

but I would like to know     are some games better than others?

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2007, 12:15 am - IP Logged

If you are willing to play and win a few bucks, then these are not so bad. $5, $25, $50 for getting some of the numbers. Mostly this looks like a means of saying "Nine ways to win" or whatever. Those odds of getting 5 across .. not encouraging. I really don't like not having the option of choosing all my own numbers. Makes me feel like the fix is in.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3501 Posts
            Posted: October 26, 2007, 2:37 am - IP Logged

Figuring that they keep 50% of the money right off the bat you should plan on losing money by playing the game. Only you can decide if it's a game you want to play. You could start by comparing the odds of winning the different prizes to other games you could play. You should probably also assume that the odds aren't really as good as advertised for the combination wins. Those odds are presumably based on not having any repeated numbers, but since you don't choose the 12  numbers in the 2nd  and 3rd lines you'll almost certainly have some repeats. 

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: October 26, 2007, 4:48 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd makes a point. I picked up a playslip, and their "example" does include some repeats from line to line. You choose 5 numbers, and the machine gives you 2 more lines of 5 numbers (total of 10) out of a pool of 50, here. I think I'll stick with the regular pick 5 lotto & powerball.

Not being able to pick your own numbers - might as well just say "Stick 'em up!" 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3501 Posts
                Posted: October 26, 2007, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

The game Tplayer is asking about it is 6/39, so it's even worse than 5/40 as far as the chance of repeated numbers. After you pick the first 6 there are 33 unused numbers left, so for the first number on the second line there's already a 6/33 or 18% chance of a repeat. If you get through the second line without a repeat the first number for the 3rd line will have a 12 in 27 or 44% chance of being a repeat. For the last number it would be 17 in 22 or a 77% chance.  I'd guess that 2 or 3 repeats is common, and perhaps typical.

United States
                  Member #41846
                  June 23, 2006
                  460 Posts
                  Posted: October 26, 2007, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Go to the ky lottery web site and look at payout per game. look at pick 3 or pick 4 payout per game. You can quickly see the answer to  your question.

I looked at this game when it was first anounced, didn't take long to decide, even before I saw any payout info.  It gets none of my money.

p8 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1958 Posts
                    Posted: October 26, 2007, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

If it let you choose your numbers for the 2nd and 3rd line, I'd be all over it, but it's not, so nope.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: October 26, 2007, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

If it let you choose your numbers for the 2nd and 3rd line, I'd be all over it, but it's not, so nope.

Green laughWhen I first grabbed a playslip, I was like "Yeah, I can get a clump of winners, given 15 picks out of 50. Let me at 'em". Then, as the lawyers say, "Upon closer inspection..." Danke, but "No danke"

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1958 Posts
                        Posted: October 26, 2007, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

Green laughWhen I first grabbed a playslip, I was like "Yeah, I can get a clump of winners, given 15 picks out of 50. Let me at 'em". Then, as the lawyers say, "Upon closer inspection..." Danke, but "No danke"

When I get my car fixed, I'm going to give my system a try at the Kentucky Lottery's Cash Ball. Odds and payouts are:

KENTUCKY CASH BALLMatchPrizeOdds Per Play
                        4/33 1/31
                        Monday-Saturday
                        $1 per play
                        4 of 4 1$200,0001:1,268,520
                        4 of 4 0$2,0001:42,284
                        3 of 4 1$3001:10,935
                        3 of 4 0$501:365
                        2 of 4 1$251:521
                        2 of 4 0$11:17
                        1 of 4 1$21:86.8
                        0 of 4 1$21:53

Obviously my system will only work for the 4 white balls, but I think once I've converted it, I should get a lot of 3/4's and 4/4's. I'll rely on luck to get me the Cash Ball.

Gonna win.Big Smile

louisville ky
                          United States
                          Member #55826
                          October 21, 2007
                          7 Posts
                          Posted: November 1, 2007, 1:15 am - IP Logged

Hi Guru101

If you could choose the second and third line how would you bet? 

What i am going to say might surprise some players.

If you could make all three bets and you bet 18 different numbers this is whats going to happen.

the chances of catching 6 overall is decreased. same for 5 overall.

the chances of catching 7,8,9,10    are in fact elimanated.

the chances of catching 6,5,4,3, on any given line remain the same 

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3501 Posts
                            Posted: November 1, 2007, 2:06 am - IP Logged

Hi Guru101

If you could choose the second and third line how would you bet? 

What i am going to say might surprise some players.

If you could make all three bets and you bet 18 different numbers this is whats going to happen.

the chances of catching 6 overall is decreased. same for 5 overall.

the chances of catching 7,8,9,10    are in fact elimanated.

the chances of catching 6,5,4,3, on any given line remain the same 

"the chances of catching 7,8,9,10    are in fact elimanated."

Sure they are, but look at the odds and payouts for those prizes compared to 5 and 6.  If you spend $12 you could expect to win a (multi-line) match 5 and get back $2, or 16.7% of what you spent. For the match 10 you could expect that spending $65,605 would get you $2000, or 3% of what you spent.  All lottery bets can be expected to be losers, but the match 5 or 6 ar ebetter bets (or less worse bets) than the match 10.  If you're going to bet based on the prize without regard to the odds you should only play PB or MM.

louisville ky
                              United States
                              Member #55826
                              October 21, 2007
                              7 Posts
                              Posted: November 1, 2007, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

hi KY FLOYD

What I was asking IS if you could bet all three lines yourself how would you bet.

I was trying to say that if you could bet 18 different numbers then you do in fact hurt the overall payout.  Eighteen different numbers  odds for 5 overall is not 1:12 but in fact 1:18.  The odds of 6 overall with 18 different numbers is not 1:38 but 1:175.  The way they came with these odds is because they know the chances for a repeat number is likely.  So why elimanate 4 possible winners and at the same time diminish the chances for two more winners.  I truly hope that I have disspelled the fear of repeat numbers in this type of lotto. 

As far as 1 PYO and 2 QP.  Lets talk.  The chance of a quick pick of paying something is JUST as good as a number you pick yourself.