Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:00 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Frustrated

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
PackMan's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #35041
March 11, 2006
20 Posts
Posted: October 24, 2007, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

i just have to "S-H-O-U-T"........i have been playing the wisc lottery i.e. powerball,megabucks,and supercash since the lottery started some twenty years ago....i've been playing the same six set of  numbers day in and day out...not really hitting anything big....so know i double up on supercash a day which gets me no where.am i bitching...no just frustrated that i can be playing the same set of numbers and never really hit nothing big.my wife says stop playing it is no good..but i say no way because eventually the odds are in my favor....whew thank you for letting me get that off my chest.so do i keep playing same numbers or sought some new numbers?Curious to see what forum says.have a nice day...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10391 Posts
    Posted: October 24, 2007, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

PackMan

Some of us here have been playing over 30 years.

There are posts on this board that have discussed a lot of this, playing the same numbers and all.

Someone pointed out that mathematically your numbers will hit, you just have to live 483 years to make sure it happens.  

You said, "but i say no way because eventually the odds are in my favor..."

Not really. The odds are always the same, each drawing is an entirely new entity. There's no such thing as a perpetual set of numbers that will hit a jackpot, only a perpetual price for playing the same set of numbers. (unless of course the price of a ticket goes up!)

Go to almost any state lottery website and pick the game you're playing and click on the Check My Numbers feature. Type in your numbers and see if they've ever hit.

PS

Another thing you'll find on those websites is that 70 to 80% of tickets sales are Quick Picks, and 70 to 80% of jackpots are won by Quick Picks.

See any parallel there?

PPS

As has been said by some sage, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is a form of insanity.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8394 Posts
      Posted: October 24, 2007, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

I have been playing the same 5 digits for bonus match 5 since the game started, and same 6 digits for mega and the multi match and or lotto or powerball. I have won some small prizes but no jackpots.
      The only way i have came or did any better with my picks was to wheel them with other digits. Still no jackpots won. Yet!

I have kicked myself a few times for not playing one digit up or one down. I agree with Coin Toss you could play your favorite picks forever and never win the jackpot, or it might happen the next draw. It's all luck. If it's in the cards for your numbers to be drawn then it will happen.

Wheeling your favorites with some hot digits might produce a win.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19900 Posts
        Posted: October 24, 2007, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

"As has been said by some sage, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is a form of insanity."

You can paste that quote next to "What goes up much come down". 

Since most combinations never repeat, they are all losers until they are drawn.  On the other hand I watched Ohio Buckeye5 for almost 10 years and five combinations repeated and over 400 thousands never came up, so maybe some combinations are just losers that will never show up.                                                                     

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

increase's avatar - abstract design_main.jpg
          VA
          United States
          Member #54828
          August 31, 2007
          38223 Posts
          Posted: October 24, 2007, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Pack Man:

Keep playing the same numbers and also pick a new set of six just to see what happens.  Good luck.  I pray that you will win and win BIG!

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
            Member #52345
            May 21, 2007
            2679 Posts
            Posted: October 24, 2007, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

PackMan

Some of us here have been playing over 30 years.

There are posts on this board that have discussed a lot of this, playing the same numbers and all.

Someone pointed out that mathematically your numbers will hit, you just have to live 483 years to make sure it happens.  

You said, "but i say no way because eventually the odds are in my favor..."

Not really. The odds are always the same, each drawing is an entirely new entity. There's no such thing as a perpetual set of numbers that will hit a jackpot, only a perpetual price for playing the same set of numbers. (unless of course the price of a ticket goes up!)

Go to almost any state lottery website and pick the game you're playing and click on the Check My Numbers feature. Type in your numbers and see if they've ever hit.

PS

Another thing you'll find on those websites is that 70 to 80% of tickets sales are Quick Picks, and 70 to 80% of jackpots are won by Quick Picks.

See any parallel there?

PPS

As has been said by some sage, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is a form of insanity.

No Pity!No Pity!just for U pack man .....

been buying quick picks for 20 years and was lucky to get my money back just so I could go get more losers Roll Eyes

oh well some one has got to win

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
              West Side of Sunny Florida
              United States
              Member #55048
              September 8, 2007
              3371 Posts
              Posted: October 24, 2007, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

"As has been said by some sage, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is a form of insanity."

You can paste that quote next to "What goes up much come down". 

Since most combinations never repeat, they are all losers until they are drawn.  On the other hand I watched Ohio Buckeye5 for almost 10 years and five combinations repeated and over 400 thousands never came up, so maybe some combinations are just losers that will never show up.                                                                     

"so maybe some combinations are just losers that will never show up"

Scared

AHHHHHH don't say that!!! I know the minute I drop my normal #'s for Mega, Take 5 & Lotto they will come in...

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

Los Angeles CA
                United States
                Member #55727
                October 16, 2007
                195 Posts
                Posted: October 24, 2007, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

PackMan I know where you are coming from, I have played the same 5 numbers for a long time in Fantasy five. Never matched more than 3/5 but I can't stop now, as soon as I do, bam they will hit. But I also play a comination of Hot/Cold, Repeats and Triggers for a few extra plays. Granted I'm still just getting 3/5, but it happens atleast once or twice about every month.(I can't wait to go into the liquor store someday with a 4/5 to shock everyone, I'm the king of 3/5) Sometimes I feel like I play the extra numbers just so I can play my regular numbers. Keep your head up, never know what these Computers/Ball Machines will spit out. Good Luck on your numbers!

EXMECHANIC 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: October 24, 2007, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

"so maybe some combinations are just losers that will never show up"

Scared

AHHHHHH don't say that!!! I know the minute I drop my normal #'s for Mega, Take 5 & Lotto they will come in...

No -   most  - combinations are losers that will never show up.  Think about it.   In my state lotto (Florida) the odds for 6/53 are approx 1 in 23 million.   So if I keep playing my 4 combinations (which I have been doing for about 13 years) forever and ever, there are still well over 22 million others that might be drawn. 

"Since most combinations never repeat"

RJOh, I agree, so then I wonder if it's because the odds are so great or the Lottery checks & eliminates them during a pre-test and only televises what they want us to see. If they are true "Live" drawings, then I guess that can't be the case.  Once I sat down and put 100 random combinations into the "check your number to see if it's ever won" feature and none of them came up.  Some had won 4/6 in 1998 or 2001, but none of them had ever won a jackpot and, now that I think about it, none had even hit 5 numbers since the lottery began. 

On the other hand, bashley572, I play the same combinations and won't change them, so don't give up yet.  Changing might make a difference, but it might not.  As Coin Toss wrote, each game is a separate event.  Quickpicks win because so many people play them, not because they're any luckier. However, it does seem to indicate that using a system probably isn't any more reliable than copying numbers off of a license plate.

Los Angeles CA
                    United States
                    Member #55727
                    October 16, 2007
                    195 Posts
                    Posted: October 24, 2007, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

"However, it does seem to indicate that using a system probably isn't any more reliable than copying numbers off of a license plate."

Looks like I just found a new system on LP! 

EXMECHANIC

"My dollar buys hope, what does yours do?" 

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
                      Member #55246
                      September 20, 2007
                      225 Posts
                      Posted: October 24, 2007, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

You are NOT alone. Group Hug

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19900 Posts
                        Posted: October 24, 2007, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

"RJOh, I agree, so then I wonder if it's because the odds are so great or the Lottery checks & eliminates them during a pre-test and only televises what they want us to see."

I can't speak for the lotteries, but speaking for myself I always check the combinations I play and if they've been within one number of winning a jackpot in the past, they are discarded.  The only game I wouldn't do that in is West Virgina Cash25, five of six repeat quite often in that game because there are only 25 numbers in the pool.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: October 24, 2007, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

i just have to "S-H-O-U-T"........i have been playing the wisc lottery i.e. powerball,megabucks,and supercash since the lottery started some twenty years ago....i've been playing the same six set of  numbers day in and day out...not really hitting anything big....so know i double up on supercash a day which gets me no where.am i bitching...no just frustrated that i can be playing the same set of numbers and never really hit nothing big.my wife says stop playing it is no good..but i say no way because eventually the odds are in my favor....whew thank you for letting me get that off my chest.so do i keep playing same numbers or sought some new numbers?Curious to see what forum says.have a nice day...

This is like picking a stock out of the paper and buying shares every month even though the stock never makes a big move up, 'cause "Boy oh boy, when it finally does - take off/ turn around/ get discovered by the mainstream ... "

Better to buy the shares that are rising ... and the numbers that are falling.  

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: October 24, 2007, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

This is like picking a stock out of the paper and buying shares every month even though the stock never makes a big move up, 'cause "Boy oh boy, when it finally does - take off/ turn around/ get discovered by the mainstream ... "

Better to buy the shares that are rising ... and the numbers that are falling.  

Actually, I was in a mutual fund that had the worst performance in 1999. While all the others were soaring, some doubling, this one lost value.  I stuck with it until the end of Aug 2000.  The first week of Sept it made over 20%.

Anyway, the stock market is different than the lottery.  You might see a need for a product.  The people who bought Microsoft in the mid-80s for a few dollars became millionaires because they saw its potential.  The lottery is a game won by being lucky.  Sure there's some luck involved when you gamble in the market, but comparing buying stocks to buying lottery tickets is like comparing winning Jeopardy over Deal or No Deal.   Nobody would walk into a stockbroker and say "give me 10 quickpicks" unless that person was crazy.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                              South Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #6
                              November 4, 2001
                              8797 Posts
                              Posted: October 24, 2007, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Actually, I was in a mutual fund that had the worst performance in 1999. While all the others were soaring, some doubling, this one lost value.  I stuck with it until the end of Aug 2000.  The first week of Sept it made over 20%.

Anyway, the stock market is different than the lottery.  You might see a need for a product.  The people who bought Microsoft in the mid-80s for a few dollars became millionaires because they saw its potential.  The lottery is a game won by being lucky.  Sure there's some luck involved when you gamble in the market, but comparing buying stocks to buying lottery tickets is like comparing winning Jeopardy over Deal or No Deal.   Nobody would walk into a stockbroker and say "give me 10 quickpicks" unless that person was crazy.

Nobody would walk into a stockbroker and say "give me 10 quickpicks" unless that person was crazy.

ROFL     Green laugh

Oo'Ka