Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 2:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Frustrated

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10390 Posts
Posted: October 24, 2007, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Actually, I was in a mutual fund that had the worst performance in 1999. While all the others were soaring, some doubling, this one lost value.  I stuck with it until the end of Aug 2000.  The first week of Sept it made over 20%.

Anyway, the stock market is different than the lottery.  You might see a need for a product.  The people who bought Microsoft in the mid-80s for a few dollars became millionaires because they saw its potential.  The lottery is a game won by being lucky.  Sure there's some luck involved when you gamble in the market, but comparing buying stocks to buying lottery tickets is like comparing winning Jeopardy over Deal or No Deal.   Nobody would walk into a stockbroker and say "give me 10 quickpicks" unless that person was crazy.

Well, there was that chimpanzee in the Dallas Zoo that used to throw the darts at the financial page and pick stocks- and outperformed the financial gurus year after year.

Re: playing the same numbers. Every drawing is a new entity, your set or sets of numbers are up against the same thing every drawing, nothing is reduced.

The only advantage I can see to sticking with the same numbers is being able to check your numbers by memory against each drawing. 

On the surface anyway, when someone talks about playing the same set of numbers for hundreds of drawings and they've never hit, it's like, "Hello!"

Also, I wonder when people say, "my numbers".  do they have them patented or copyrighted or something.

Hey- there's an idea, copyrighted sets of lotto numbers, if they don't make anything in lotto prizes, they could be sold or leased via licensing agrements!

Wink

"In an unprecedented court case, a woman in Florida hit the lottery for $68,000,000 but another woman in Maine claimed that the Florida woman was playing "her numbers". She's suing for a share of the Florida woman's jackpot.  

Meanwhile, other lottery players all over the world are waiting to see how this is decided before thay all claim the prize was won with "their numbers".

Florida is considering changing its lotto format to characters of the Chinese alphabet, similar to the original Keno tickets.  

Stay tuned to W-LOTTO News for more details.

In a related story, the Florida home for the numerologically insane announced they are adding a new wing called the "Same number lotto wing" to the facility.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19895 Posts
    Posted: October 24, 2007, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

"Wink

"In an unprecedented court case, a woman in Florida hit the lottery for $68,000,000 but another woman in Maine claimed that the Florida woman was playing "her numbers". She's suing for a share of the Florida woman's jackpot.  

Meanwhile, other lottery players all over the world are waiting to see how this is decided before thay all claim the prize was won with "their numbers"."

quote by Coin Toss

A similar case was already decided in the courts of Virgina and North Carolina in 1994 and was featured on Sixty Minutes.

Seven guys were in a lottery pool in North Carolina and each had a combination they played as a group regularly in the Virgina lottery.  When one of the guys dropped out, the pool stopped playing his combination, even though Walter Cole suggested they all contribute a little extra and continue to play all the combinations.  When the pool said no, he decided to play the combination on his own and later won a $9M jackpot.  Immediately four of the guys in the pool claimed the combination belonged to the pool even though they weren't playing it and sued for a share of his winnings.  Cole hired two different lawyers who didn't help him much when a law professor from a local college read about his case and volunteered to help and won the case for him.  Even though his first two lawyers hadn't really helped him win, they sued for their fees which took a share of his winnings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: October 25, 2007, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Actually, I was in a mutual fund that had the worst performance in 1999. While all the others were soaring, some doubling, this one lost value.  I stuck with it until the end of Aug 2000.  The first week of Sept it made over 20%.

Anyway, the stock market is different than the lottery.  You might see a need for a product.  The people who bought Microsoft in the mid-80s for a few dollars became millionaires because they saw its potential.  The lottery is a game won by being lucky.  Sure there's some luck involved when you gamble in the market, but comparing buying stocks to buying lottery tickets is like comparing winning Jeopardy over Deal or No Deal.   Nobody would walk into a stockbroker and say "give me 10 quickpicks" unless that person was crazy.

Unless that 20% was above what you paid, you could have put the money to better use.

A stock that falls 50%, then rises 50% ... is still down 25%  

I'm sure there were people who "stuck with" Worldcom and Enron all the way down, hoping for a comeback, too. They are still waiting ... and still stuck.

The people who rode Kmart shares into bankruptcy (in 2002) got the nasty surprise that the "new" Kmart shares (part of Sears Holdings) are not the same as the old ones. Their "old" shares are worthless.

Hamburger is different than chicken, but they are both food. We know that going in.

The stock market has plenty of similarities to the lottery.

Both can be rigged by "insiders". - Ask the Tennessee people who "stuck with" doubles, when only uniques were being allowed to fall. 

Both are used by many more people than understand how they work - to make a large amount of money out of a small amount, often achieving the opposite result. Your stockbroker and your lottery retailer both make money whether or not you do. In both cases, you are betting on something you do not control. Why do you think it's called "playing the market"?

The main difference between playing the market and playing the lottery is - stigma.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10390 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2007, 1:30 am - IP Logged

RJOh

That had to be one heck of a court case! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
          Dover, Delaware
          United States
          Member #26979
          November 25, 2005
          178 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2007, 2:51 am - IP Logged

i just have to "S-H-O-U-T"........i have been playing the wisc lottery i.e. powerball,megabucks,and supercash since the lottery started some twenty years ago....i've been playing the same six set of  numbers day in and day out...not really hitting anything big....so know i double up on supercash a day which gets me no where.am i bitching...no just frustrated that i can be playing the same set of numbers and never really hit nothing big.my wife says stop playing it is no good..but i say no way because eventually the odds are in my favor....whew thank you for letting me get that off my chest.so do i keep playing same numbers or sought some new numbers?Curious to see what forum says.have a nice day...

Hi PacMan, on one hand it's good to know I'm not alone but, on the other hand it's awful because, I've been playing PowerBall since it started and the most I've ever hit was a couple of hundred dollars. I've been playing lottery in general since 1980. I want to thank you for shouting although, I am beyond the shouting stage I'm starting to use foul language in a very high pitched voice. All I can tell you is what I'm doing and that is to keep on keeping on don't stop, don't give up. My mom always use to say "nothing fails you but a try" and now I know exactly what that means. Here is something for you to think about>>>Do you feel worse by playing and not winning or, would you feel worse if you stop playing and your numbers come out?  GOOD LUCK TO YA PacMan

You Have a Very Nice Day Also

numbergirly

P.S. I've also been playing the same set of numbers. It seems as though E-Z Picks stands a better chance of winning>>Maybe you want to give that a try in addition to your own set of numbers. Oh yeah and let me tell you I am BITCHING.

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: October 25, 2007, 3:44 am - IP Logged

"RJOh, I agree, so then I wonder if it's because the odds are so great or the Lottery checks & eliminates them during a pre-test and only televises what they want us to see."

I can't speak for the lotteries, but speaking for myself I always check the combinations I play and if they've been within one number of winning a jackpot in the past, they are discarded.  The only game I wouldn't do that in is West Virgina Cash25, five of six repeat quite often in that game because there are only 25 numbers in the pool.

I kinda do that:  I research my numbers before I pay (ok, play), and if they have hit 3x5 more than twice, I play them.

I also chart this - all the winning numbers to see how many times they have hit 3x5 since 1998 (inception). The average is 3-4, the low is zero, the high is 10, a handful of 9's and 8's, a handful of zeroes, but generally 3-4.