Tennessee Lottery refuses to revert to ball drawings

Oct 31, 2007, 8:32 am (24 comments)

Tennessee Lottery

Lottery players won't see any balls popping up with winning Cash 3 and Cash 4 numbers on them, at least not for the time being.

The Tennessee Lottery Board decided Monday to keep using computers to pick numbers in the two games, despite calls for a change back to a ball-draw system.

Board members said they wanted to wait until auditors completed their final reports on a computer coding error that kept non-repeating numbers like 1-1-2 or 5-5-5-5 from being drawn. They also noted that sales are up and the old system would have cost $5 million more than before because of escalating broadcasting costs.

Doretha Dowell of Nashville, who lost money in August betting on repeating numbers that could not have won, said she hoped the lottery would eventually return to the ball system.

"I enjoy watching them come out,'' Dowell said. "At least I felt I had a chance."

State House Republican Leader Jason Mumpower said he would continue pushing his bill to bring the balls back.

"I think the projected cost is a mere pittance to pay in order to win back the trust of the lottery playing public," the Bristol lawmaker said.

At the board's audit committee meeting Monday, an auditor from KPMG Canada reported that the firm's preliminary work found no problems with the system, and the board's internal auditor found no evidence of fraud.

The state comptroller's office also is looking into the error.

Tennessean

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

The fix is in.This lottery is corrupt!

konane's avatarkonane

"............ old system would have cost $5 million more than before because of escalating broadcasting costs. ......"

Believe that's a direct business expense deducted right off the top.  Lottery could have moved drawings to another station ... so that one doesn't wash.

""............ we've done over $1 million a day in financial transactions," said Hargrove.  https://www.lotterypost.com/news/165325  

5 mil is nothing compared to yearly sales, most important demonstrating transparency and full disclosure to the public.

Tnplayer805's avatarTnplayer805

Well, that's that.  I can say I will not be playing C3 or C4 anytime soon. (Unless its in GA)  They would rather make $5 million rather than keep their integrity.  In my opinion it would cost them more than $5 mill for their integrity.  OH well, I've got the Florida and Georgia. 

four4me

25 midday draws and counting the number 4 digit still hasn't been drawn. Give me a break they still think the product they are using isn't flawed i say it is.

It's pretty inconsiderate of them to even suggest that the product is working perfectly.

I am sad to hear that they refuse to revert back to ball drawings. I hope they reconsider. It sounds more like Hargrove is one minded on this. Her staff is lazy they have no interest is pleasing the people of Tennessee just because it's easer and cheaper to run computerized drawings doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

To make up the cost of operating the live ball drawings all they need to do is trim air time to 3/4 minutes get one station to sponsor the drawings for free. Not use every station in Tennessee to run the bandwidth. There are probably a few more ways to get the cost of airing drawings down. Anyhow they are still paying for air time with the computer draws. Whats the big deal. Sell 50 more scratch offs and take some of those proceeds to pay for the drawings.

Hargrove is using every excuse in the book to keep her crappy computer drawings.   

tntea's avatartntea

There is something fishy again with the TN lottery...

last five draws contained

ABA.... What is the likelihood of this..

Something programmed in that computer....

Rebcca is making splash again....

Email them now..

tntea's avatartntea

Quote: Originally posted by four4me on Oct 31, 2007

25 midday draws and counting the number 4 digit still hasn't been drawn. Give me a break they still think the product they are using isn't flawed i say it is.

It's pretty inconsiderate of them to even suggest that the product is working perfectly.

I am sad to hear that they refuse to revert back to ball drawings. I hope they reconsider. It sounds more like Hargrove is one minded on this. Her staff is lazy they have no interest is pleasing the people of Tennessee just because it's easer and cheaper to run computerized drawings doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

To make up the cost of operating the live ball drawings all they need to do is trim air time to 3/4 minutes get one station to sponsor the drawings for free. Not use every station in Tennessee to run the bandwidth. There are probably a few more ways to get the cost of airing drawings down. Anyhow they are still paying for air time with the computer draws. Whats the big deal. Sell 50 more scratch offs and take some of those proceeds to pay for the drawings.

Hargrove is using every excuse in the book to keep her crappy computer drawings.   

TV stations pay to have that type of airing for ratings to go up...

Write the stations and tell them you refuse to watch their stations unless TN changes back to the ball drawings.. No one is interesting in watching the fraud mess they are airing..

fight fire with fire

chops

This "escalating broadcasting costs" thing is such BS that I had to register and put my 2¢ in.

For example, the Tri-State Lottery doesn't broadcast their drawings, yet they still do traditional ball drawings for all their draw games (Pick 3, Pick 4, Paycheck, and Megabucks), which are posted on the New Hampshire Lottery web site.  If they can do it that way, why can't Tennessee?

JAP69's avatarJAP69

Writing and e-mailing is not going to do squat.

Do like real protestors do.

Organize protest marches having signs with slogans. Chant themes while marching. Get interviewed by local t v.

Get arrested. ROFL

Fall down and kick your feet while being dragged to the paddy wagon. Green laugh

Organize a march at lottery headquarters.

March in front of a high volume lottery store like the one in Admar. ROFL

tntea's avatartntea

I am in. anyone else?

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by on Oct 31, 2007

The fix is in.This lottery is corrupt!

No-No-No-NO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MaddMike1

The great state of Tennessee......now ha$

$5 MILLION extra buck$

to spend on the "children"$$$

THEY are SAVING MONEY too & cutting expensives AL$O

PartyWhite BouncePartyWhite BounceROFLROFLNo Pity!

"THEY can make US>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PROUD" 

KyMystikal's avatarKyMystikal

Quote: Originally posted by chops on Oct 31, 2007

This "escalating broadcasting costs" thing is such BS that I had to register and put my 2¢ in.

For example, the Tri-State Lottery doesn't broadcast their drawings, yet they still do traditional ball drawings for all their draw games (Pick 3, Pick 4, Paycheck, and Megabucks), which are posted on the New Hampshire Lottery web site.  If they can do it that way, why can't Tennessee?

If broadcasting costs were escalating then why not do away with them? They were only televising the evening draw anyway. Another question, since I have stopped playing I don't watch the drawings, but isn't the computer drawings still televised? 

tnlotto1's avatartnlotto1

Quote: Originally posted by KyMystikal on Nov 1, 2007

If broadcasting costs were escalating then why not do away with them? They were only televising the evening draw anyway. Another question, since I have stopped playing I don't watch the drawings, but isn't the computer drawings still televised? 

i havent seen them televise cash 3 and cash 4 but they still show that cartoon/graphics of balls dropping for the lotto 5 drawing with the dracula music as Todd called it.

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Oct 31, 2007

$5 MILLION extra buck$

Can someone decipher this gibberish for me,please?I only read English.

Thanks.

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

$5 MILLION extra buck$

Thinking of...

pegeler

Guys, you'll not do any good at all writing to the Lottery Commission.

NOTHING scares a politician more, than letters from upset voters.  So, scare the crap out of a politician! :)

Sen. Jason Mumpower is one of the "wheels" on the over-sight committee.  Vent your frustrations to him.

mumpower@legislature.state.tn.us

Use words like "loss of revenue", "Coverup" "fraud", etc.

Go for it.

Pete

tntea's avatartntea

Quote: Originally posted by on Nov 1, 2007

Thanks.

$5 MILLION extra buck$

JAP69's avatarJAP69

Quote: Originally posted by on Nov 1, 2007

Thanks.

$5 MILLION extra buck$

$5 MILLION extra buck$

some of it is in webdings and some in wingdings.

to translate; copy and paste into a reply. then high lite the paste and use font family arial black or georgia or whatever other ones to translate.

If one font works for some of dings hi lite what dings it did not work on and try another font.

I also have document wordpad on my computer and I can copy and paste into my wordpad and the translation is automatic without going thru font family.

I have 4 different types of dings in my document wordpad.

Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on Nov 1, 2007

$5 MILLION extra buck$

$5 MILLION extra buck$

to translate; copy and paste into a reply. then high lite the paste and use font family arial black or georgia or whatever other ones to translate.

If one font works for some of dings hi lite what dings it did not work on and try another font.

I also have document wordpad on my computer and I can copy and paste into my wordpad and the translation is automatic without going thru font family.

What the hells wrong with just writing in plain english?Whats the point of writing in code?

tntea's avatartntea

Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on Nov 1, 2007

$5 MILLION extra buck$

$5 MILLION extra buck$

I also have document wordpad on my computer and I can copy and paste into my wordpad and the translation is automatic without going thru font family

Why not just ignore it altogether?

Quote: Originally posted by tntea on Nov 2, 2007

I also have document wordpad on my computer and I can copy and paste into my wordpad and the translation is automatic without going thru font family

Why not just ignore it altogether?

Exactly what I intend to do.

LckyLary

I like how in PA for instance they have the b they have the nerve to show animated "ball machines" with animated numbers rolling out, on the website animation file that you download. I think they might be better off with computerized in TN because you just have to look for those weird patterns and you can use the same algorithm on the jackpot games as the digit games! Also the broadcasting costs could be cut but doing like the nj midday where you just see the machines with a disembodied voice. The modern-day lottery host/hostess merely waves or points at the machine.

mjwinsmith's avatarmjwinsmith

Tennessee Players, the bottom line is that if they crap on you and you continue to play (Sales are UP!) then it stands to reason that they will continue to crap on you. Wake UP!

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by mjwinsmith on Nov 2, 2007

Tennessee Players, the bottom line is that if they crap on you and you continue to play (Sales are UP!) then it stands to reason that they will continue to crap on you. Wake UP!

Don't believe the BS the lottery put out there about sales being up.  Read all the posts earlier in this thread.

On second thought, I think the comments are in a different thread.  (Also in the news section.)

Edit:

Here you go: https://www.lotterypost.com/news/165325

tntea's avatartntea

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Nov 2, 2007

Don't believe the BS the lottery put out there about sales being up.  Read all the posts earlier in this thread.

On second thought, I think the comments are in a different thread.  (Also in the news section.)

Edit:

Here you go: https://www.lotterypost.com/news/165325

Todd you are right.  The sales aren't UP.. I work in a store.. and people are not playing like they did.

After talking with me,  most just don't buy any.  They buy scratch offs and PB.  I let them know that it is computerized and their best chance is to buy one qp per game if they just want to play.  Trying to figure out what is going to show is impossible.

I have customers at our business who work at other retailers.  They too have said that sales were down with pick 3 and pick 4.  Most are continuing to play the pick 5.  People see the figures of the pay out for pick 5 and still buy qp for those games.   Good luck to them.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story