Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Stupid Question-Quick picks VS Your Own #'s

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Southwest Florida
United States
Member #56183
November 6, 2007
75 Posts
Posted: November 6, 2007, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Since I'm new on this site,  I'm thinking I can get away with asking this question.  I'm just wondering, statisticly, which numbers have a higher probablility of winning, quick picks or your own #'s based on whatever you base them on? 

I've been trying basic analysis stuff, nothing fancy. No exciting winnings to report as of yet.Unhappy 

Now, for the last few months, I've been in charge of the lottery pool at work.   I've been doing quick picks, but have been getting frustrated with the occassional 3/6 $5.00 winner on Lotto.  I've been about equally successful picking my own numbers using a wheeling system based on frequency, odd/even and my own likings of numbers.  My co-workers don't seem to care how I get the numbers, they just want a WINNER!  In fact, most of them, just tell me to forget all the fancy footwork and just get quick picks...from one place.  Don't go and get tickets at different locations on different days and at different times.

What do ya'll think? 

rteague's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    North Carolina
    United States
    Member #54608
    August 24, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: November 6, 2007, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Since I'm new on this site,  I'm thinking I can get away with asking this question.  I'm just wondering, statisticly, which numbers have a higher probablility of winning, quick picks or your own #'s based on whatever you base them on? 

I've been trying basic analysis stuff, nothing fancy. No exciting winnings to report as of yet.Unhappy 

Now, for the last few months, I've been in charge of the lottery pool at work.   I've been doing quick picks, but have been getting frustrated with the occassional 3/6 $5.00 winner on Lotto.  I've been about equally successful picking my own numbers using a wheeling system based on frequency, odd/even and my own likings of numbers.  My co-workers don't seem to care how I get the numbers, they just want a WINNER!  In fact, most of them, just tell me to forget all the fancy footwork and just get quick picks...from one place.  Don't go and get tickets at different locations on different days and at different times.

What do ya'll think? 

i personally prefer my own picks vs QP...but if you'll do a search under the resources tab on the tool bar you can find many threads on that topic...

that is just one of the MANY tools this site has to offer...And if i could make a suggestion,to utilize ALL the tools when your budget allows it,upgrade your membership to gold or premium when you can...I did and my return has been 10 FOLD !!!! 

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3102 Posts
      Posted: November 6, 2007, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

What do ya'll think? 

Over the years the various lotteries have at times said the ratio of quick pick winners to those winners who select their own numbers is the same.  They have no way to break out those who play birthday numbers from those using a system.

Your best bet is to eliminate about a dozen numbers and put all the rest into play even if that means a 2if6 wheel or a 3if6 wheel taken to 90% coverage as closing that last 10% can take more combinations then the 90%.   

If using a commercial wheel look to see if the wheel is really a split wheel where a independent 3if3 wheel is scabbed together with a 3if4 wheel.  Hint: There will be two seperate groups of numbers that do not share combinations in common.  This type of wheel makes it almost impossible to win a jackpot.  These wheels are promoted as being "tighter" cost cutting wheels, but you are much better off making your own non-split wheel with CoverMaster to 90% then what you save with a split wheel.

BobP

Southwest Florida
        United States
        Member #56183
        November 6, 2007
        75 Posts
        Posted: November 6, 2007, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I've used the wheels a couple of times.  It's kinda neat.   It sure takes alot of work out of setting up the numbers.  Usually, I'll edit the wheels and take out some of the numbers I don't like.  For example, taking out the numbers that start really high or have too many low numbers etc... 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19815 Posts
          Posted: November 6, 2007, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

I've used the wheels a couple of times.  It's kinda neat.   It sure takes alot of work out of setting up the numbers.  Usually, I'll edit the wheels and take out some of the numbers I don't like.  For example, taking out the numbers that start really high or have too many low numbers etc... 

When ever you eliminate lines in a wheel you also eliminate any guarantee that the wheel  has which is the main reason for wheeling numbers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
            mississippi
            United States
            Member #34478
            March 3, 2006
            5903 Posts
            Posted: November 6, 2007, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

I ALWAYS PICK MY own numbers but I dont fool with the big games very much...

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Member #0
              January 1, 2000
              0 Posts
              Posted: November 6, 2007, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

I pick my own numbers for PowerBall and I use quick picks on the Mega Millions.I haven't noticed any great difference in either method.I figure its all pure luck anyway.I don't believe that there is any reliable way of predicting which numbers are going to show up.LUCK is what its all about.Nothing else.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: November 6, 2007, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Wow!  It's deja vu all over again.

This question has been asked sooooo many times in sooooo many ways.   Quick picks or your own numbers, quick picks and some of your own numbers, quick picks some days and your own numbers on other days or playing former quick picks as your own numbers......

The definitive answer is - whatever works for you is the best way to play.  I think that pick-3 or even pick-4 games follow more of a pattern, but any game with odds of several million to 1 is sheer luck.  Having said that, if you ask MegaMillions jackpot winner Bunky Bartlett, he'll tell you that it's all in the magic of Wicca. 

Now, please excuse me while a take a nap so I can dream my numbers for tomorrow night.

Smiley

Edit:  Don't worry about what you asked.  If it weren't for stupid questions, we wouldn't have anything to talk about!  LOL  As long as stupid ideas gets me some m-o-n-e-y, they're okay with me.

VelvetCyberpunk's avatar - VClottery2AV
                  California
                  United States
                  Member #56173
                  November 5, 2007
                  13 Posts
                  Posted: November 6, 2007, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Heh, I made a thread almost exactly like this but deleted it. I was wondering the same thing, because I have heard that with qps you get a slight edge. I usually try to do one of my number picks for every 2 qps.   

Southwest Florida
                    United States
                    Member #56183
                    November 6, 2007
                    75 Posts
                    Posted: November 7, 2007, 12:14 am - IP Logged

More and more I am realizing that there is only a certain amount of strategy involved in these games.  All the strategy can do is reduce your odds by a small amount.  The rest is luck and persistence (HOPE?)!Confused

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10344 Posts
                      Posted: November 7, 2007, 1:00 am - IP Logged

Justxploring;

"Now, please excuse me while a take a nap so I can dream my numbers for tomorrow night."

I really believe that the luck factor goes so deep that even at that, for someone lucky such a dream woud work, but for those not so lucky (like almost everyone!) they'd just be numbers in a dream - that don't hit when played!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19815 Posts
                        Posted: November 7, 2007, 10:16 am - IP Logged

I've seen players look at their tickets after buying quick picks and complain about their numbers but I've never seen that happened when players filled out play slips so I conclude players may not win any more picking their numbers but they complain less.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: November 7, 2007, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

I've seen players look at their tickets after buying quick picks and complain about their numbers but I've never seen that happened when players filled out play slips so I conclude players may not win any more picking their numbers but they complain less.

LOL

Brilliant analysis. Blame the terminal!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10344 Posts
                            Posted: November 7, 2007, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

That's because those players wait until after the drawing to complain about the numbers that they picked!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                              United States
                              Member #33372
                              February 20, 2006
                              1044 Posts
                              Posted: November 7, 2007, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

I have found a way to avoid being disappointed in my QP's. 

I tell the clerk "One quick pick, please, and make it a loser.  I would hate to break tradition."