Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won the lottery, would you leave dodge or...

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 9 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Any town, USA
United States
Member #46729
September 25, 2006
112 Posts
Posted: November 17, 2007, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering, as well as fantasizing winning the lottery, would I move out of dodge or just live in an upscale community of my hometown?

I live in Brooklyn, NY and was thinking that if I were to win the lottery, I would move out-of-state and buy a mansion or at least a luxury home.  But being that I lived in a few places in the last six years: Fort Lauderdale, Raleigh and Dallas; I always moved back to NY.  I guess because this is where I was born and raised and missed the NY mentality a little (everyone looking to futher their career and finances).

Would you relocate to another state or just move to an upscale community?  I know that I would tell my mother, maybe father (he's at an age where he would tell too many people about my financial windfall which I don't want that to happen) and maybe two close friends.  I would definitely look into moving into a gated community so that I do not have any uninvited guests.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

tungsten chef's avatar - nw dwarf5.jpg
    Winnipeg
    Canada
    Member #14974
    May 7, 2005
    3656 Posts
    Posted: November 17, 2007, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

if i won, i'd be on a plane out of canada tomorrow. the country doesn't do anything for the working man. the justice system is a joke. it's a  group of lawyers and judges and whoever else is in cahoots. they know where the money is...and that's with the criminals. revolving door justice. screw the working man..you buy  your house..your car..all your hard earned cash to pay for it and the crack heads and thieves just take it. but really who cares?? as long as i got all the things i need..who really cares?? let the government corruption and all the rest continue. what's anyone gonna do?? just whine for a day and that's it. oh wait..we can't forget the ABORIGINALS..we got to keep hearing their stories why they should get more and more and more. goodbye canada..hope the door hits my ass on the way out..haha.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10390 Posts
      Posted: November 17, 2007, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

Your surroundings and who you live among probably counts more than where you live geographically or any particular state.

For me I'd probably move from where I am but I definitely would pick some place low profile, not flock to Vegas or Hawaii or similar places that are mentioned here on LP so often.

I used to joke that if I made a score like hitting a lotto jackpot I'd buy  buy one of those surplus missile sioos in North Dakota - maybe I actually would!

My choice would be based mostly on climate, most importantly somewhere with cool summers. I never want to smell mildew again or have my clothes stick to me 20 seconds out the door - I've had enough "air that you wear".

To each his or her own... 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
        Member #54390
        August 17, 2007
        313 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2007, 1:33 am - IP Logged

Canadas and Americans say the same thing about their country.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2007, 3:28 am - IP Logged

This question has been asked many time in different ways.  I want to move now, so for me it's an easy answer.  I would never want a large home, but I would want a nice place in a quiet community with a view & where the homes aren't built on top of each other.  I already know where I'd like to live, but it's a little out of my price range now. 

It's a secret since I plan to win soon. Wink   

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
            Washington State
            United States
            Member #33973
            February 26, 2006
            347 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2007, 5:12 am - IP Logged

When this same question came up a year or more ago, I said I'd stay right where I am since I already have a nice (not a truly luxury) home on view property and don't have any need or desire for a larger home.  Since that time, I've changed my mind.  The town in which I live is too small to live with the kind of privacy I'd want.  In all probability, though, I'd stay in Washington State, since it is one of the few without state income tax. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8392 Posts
              Posted: November 18, 2007, 11:48 am - IP Logged

New York is a big place I'd scout around until i found the place i would like to settle down, or at least come and go from. If your wish is to travel then I'd rent and apartment somewhere or move to a gated community. The possibilities are endless as you could even have the home of your dreams built. Places to stay away from unless you buy a well constructed home. Are earthquake areas hurricane areas tornado ares, and fire areas. Now a days you can build a home that's fire proof.

No matter where you decide to move think it through first because what you pay for a new home today you might not get a good return on your investment for a long time to come.

If you are thinking of moving now is a good time to make serious plans as the market is slow.

Any town, USA
                United States
                Member #46729
                September 25, 2006
                112 Posts
                Posted: November 18, 2007, 11:51 am - IP Logged

I agree that this questions has been posted several times but as Uff Da! commenting, decisions can change.  I always said that I would move to a big house in Nashville, TN so that my friends would not visit me.  But since last year, I have changed my mind.  The cost-of-living in TN is fantastic, but for a New Yorker, I will miss the excitement and I do not need an 11 bedroom Mansion or a $180k Roadster Benz now that I think about it.  I guess if I would of won last year, I would probably be down about $12 million by now

Any town, USA
                  United States
                  Member #46729
                  September 25, 2006
                  112 Posts
                  Posted: November 18, 2007, 11:55 am - IP Logged

four4me - No matter where you decide to move think it through first because what you pay for a new home today you might not get a good return on your investment for a long time to come.

This was my thoughts exactly.  Buying a $8 million mansion 2 years ago and have it valued about maybe $6.5 million this year

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                    Member #50124
                    February 26, 2007
                    601 Posts
                    Posted: November 18, 2007, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

My answer is I'd get the hell outta dodge.  I'd probably have a summer home in the state I live in now, but in a community a few hundred miles from the town I'm in.  My winter home would be in a different state, one I've never lived in.

I highly value my privacy, and I think that moving would be the best way to keep a low profile especially if I'm forced to claim the jackpot using my name.   In that case, I'd claim it using my name, establish residency in a state I never want to live in (maybe California while I'm getting a little nip/tuck) and change my name there, then buy homes in the communities I wish to live in long-term.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: November 18, 2007, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

i would have a place here in nashville like a condo but i would buy a home somewhere else because i would want privacy when im at home. unless i move to a gated community near here i wouldnt get any privacy since my immediate family and most of my friends all live here

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: November 18, 2007, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Since I don't live in "dodge",  (LOL) , I would just remain where I am .   

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Greensboro, North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #1616
                          June 5, 2003
                          1288 Posts
                          Posted: November 18, 2007, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

My wife and kids and I would move to the coast.

Dolce, Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #26462
                            November 18, 2005
                            50 Posts
                            Posted: November 19, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

That's one of those questions that sound simple until you think about it.

Since actually winning the lottery would result in an instant influx of cash, something most of us have never had in such quantity, we'd have to change how we think about living.

Your going to have to think about security for you and yours, access to you and your residence, taxes, etc.

With money not being the prime consideration, you'd have to get smart real quick on many things.  How do you build a house?  How do  you protect it?  Where are you safe more than where can you afford to live.

Personally, I'd hope to stay in the area I live.  Create my own place and such.  But, I'd certainly want another residence far away.  Like in New Mexico.  Or New England just to get away.

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
                              Houston, Texas
                              United States
                              Member #56457
                              November 19, 2007
                              55 Posts
                              Posted: November 19, 2007, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Well, I would just live in a more upscale area. Houston has many for levels of assets. I think just accepting the fact the I have won needs to sink in first.