Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won the lottery, would you leave dodge or...

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 9 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: November 21, 2007, 1:34 am - IP Logged

That's one of those questions that sound simple until you think about it.

Since actually winning the lottery would result in an instant influx of cash, something most of us have never had in such quantity, we'd have to change how we think about living.

Your going to have to think about security for you and yours, access to you and your residence, taxes, etc.

With money not being the prime consideration, you'd have to get smart real quick on many things.  How do you build a house?  How do  you protect it?  Where are you safe more than where can you afford to live.

Personally, I'd hope to stay in the area I live.  Create my own place and such.  But, I'd certainly want another residence far away.  Like in New Mexico.  Or New England just to get away.

Boy, you are one paranoid person !

I could never live being as scared as you purport to be.

Change the way we think ?   No, just learn how to say no, hang up the phone faster, not open letters from people begging for money, etc. and have TWO financial accountants - to watch each other.    It's not really that hard to deal with a large sum of money - as long as you realize how to keep it in your pocket and out of other folks' pockets. 

Dolce, Illinois
    United States
    Member #26462
    November 18, 2005
    50 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2007, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Actually I'm not, but doing a little planning to protect yourself is required when you have money.  Even David Edwards moved to a gated community to get some peace.  Not that it did him much good.

In the Infantry, in combat. we'd never set up out in the open.  You'd be a target right away.  With the lottery winners, it's sort of the same thing.  They all take steps to protect their families and such.  All designed to make them less of a target.

Redskin Sean Taylor didn't win the lottery, but his step sister was dating they guy who robbed Taylor's place and was involved in Taylor's death.  They were robbing him because they figured he was rich and had a lot of dough around the place.  Police said Taylor's security system (alarms) were turned off that night.  Ironically, he had no real valuables in the house.

So, you never know.  Better to be prepared than not.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2007, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

if i won, i'd be on a plane out of canada tomorrow. the country doesn't do anything for the working man. the justice system is a joke. it's a  group of lawyers and judges and whoever else is in cahoots. they know where the money is...and that's with the criminals. revolving door justice. screw the working man..you buy  your house..your car..all your hard earned cash to pay for it and the crack heads and thieves just take it. but really who cares?? as long as i got all the things i need..who really cares?? let the government corruption and all the rest continue. what's anyone gonna do?? just whine for a day and that's it. oh wait..we can't forget the ABORIGINALS..we got to keep hearing their stories why they should get more and more and more. goodbye canada..hope the door hits my ass on the way out..haha.

Where are you going to move to that dosen't have all those problems you mentioned? Every modern and not so modern country has corruption. Even the tribes living in remote jungles that haven't seen the outside world have corruption and druggies...lol

You might as well join a group of monks in Tibet.

You can't hide from the world's disease of greed and exploitation. Security guards at the gate of your mansion might give you some  sense of security, but you eventually have to leave the house and deal with the rest of humanity.

Personally, I would buy a fortified mansion on top of Mount Everest, and hope those freaky mountain climbers are too tired to bother me once they've reached the apex.....lol 

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5145 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2007, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

if i won, i'd be on a plane out of canada tomorrow. the country doesn't do anything for the working man. the justice system is a joke. it's a  group of lawyers and judges and whoever else is in cahoots. they know where the money is...and that's with the criminals. revolving door justice. screw the working man..you buy  your house..your car..all your hard earned cash to pay for it and the crack heads and thieves just take it. but really who cares?? as long as i got all the things i need..who really cares?? let the government corruption and all the rest continue. what's anyone gonna do?? just whine for a day and that's it. oh wait..we can't forget the ABORIGINALS..we got to keep hearing their stories why they should get more and more and more. goodbye canada..hope the door hits my ass on the way out..haha.

I>>>>>agree TC:

the NAFTA treaty has USA <<<

between a rock & a hard...."PLACE"

The poor people who "DON't WIN a JACKPOT" (r) UP the CREEK!!!

and still stuck in >>>>>>>"HELL"!!!!!

SAVE the QUEEN>>>>>>>>all you ALL>>>cum

to the USA in 2008 and let's all vote to get HILL to socialize the

"THING".....NOW!!

screw the LOTTERY.........(cause now LIFE is FREE)

YOU will be able to DEPEND on a check in the mail to YOU>>>>>>

Bill and Hill 2008 $$

LOL

PSYKOMO 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1958 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2007, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

If I win $25,000,000 after taxes or more, there's a huge house for sale a few miles from where I live for $5,000,000. I'll take a look at it and if I like it, I'll probably buy it. That place is HUGE!Cool

Gonna win.Big Smile

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
            Member #55246
            September 20, 2007
            225 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm happy among friends and family. I'll stay put.

colthmn's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
              Inglewood
              United States
              Member #41769
              June 22, 2006
              122 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2007, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Well, Id sit tight a little while and let the economy do a little more bottoming out, and lease a hilltop home in an exclusive community probably about three years, all the while scouting out a blissful abode down south, my back porch abutting a lake,(no crocs or alligators or snakes tho') with a country store ya know with the eggs out front in racks,dairy section,drive-thru and cold beer close enough to ride my bicyle to and from. No fire trucks and their sirens or ambulances,as I currently live 1 blk away from a fire station.

I'd be cool with that!!! 

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2007, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't want a bigger house.. I am afraid I would lose my cat... It is hard enough to keep up with him in this one...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

indianapolis
                  United States
                  Member #56972
                  December 12, 2007
                  2 Posts
                  Posted: December 12, 2007, 2:34 am - IP Logged

Poof Puff Pow! I am a cloud of Otis shaped smoke!

MissNYC's avatar - diva
                    Westchester, New York
                    United States
                    Member #49345
                    January 27, 2007
                    168 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2007, 11:54 am - IP Logged

I live in Westchester County, NY, which for the most part is upscale, just not where I live LOL. I would likely move to Greenwich, CT because property taxes are sooo much lower there.

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: December 16, 2007, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

I'd probably stay in the same state, but movie to a different part of town. I also would probably buy a home in another state as a vacation home.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                        Member #4121
                        March 23, 2004
                        817 Posts
                        Posted: December 16, 2007, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

I would leave and come back in a 2 - 3 years traveling the world in style.  It all depends on how much I won. 

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
                          Lotto City, Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #36256
                          March 30, 2006
                          1472 Posts
                          Posted: December 27, 2007, 7:10 am - IP Logged

On the road again... Guitar

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                            Vancouver, WA
                            United States
                            Member #53665
                            July 15, 2007
                            151 Posts
                            Posted: January 16, 2008, 6:45 am - IP Logged

On the road again... Guitar

Yup, would be on the road for sure.  Pack up the wife and kids and hit the road for a while to relax for once.  It has been 7 years since I was on a vacation and I have to admit, a 2-3 month long vacation sounds just wonderful about now.  See Ya!

Have to hit a JP soon...can just see myself sitting on the beach in the Philippines with wife and kids now.  Especially since it is 29 degrees here at work.  Brrrr

China
                              Member #57691
                              January 15, 2008
                              13 Posts
                              Posted: January 17, 2008, 5:20 am - IP Logged

I was wondering, as well as fantasizing winning the lottery, would I move out of dodge or just live in an upscale community of my hometown?

I live in Brooklyn, NY and was thinking that if I were to win the lottery, I would move out-of-state and buy a mansion or at least a luxury home.  But being that I lived in a few places in the last six years: Fort Lauderdale, Raleigh and Dallas; I always moved back to NY.  I guess because this is where I was born and raised and missed the NY mentality a little (everyone looking to futher their career and finances).

Would you relocate to another state or just move to an upscale community?  I know that I would tell my mother, maybe father (he's at an age where he would tell too many people about my financial windfall which I don't want that to happen) and maybe two close friends.  I would definitely look into moving into a gated community so that I do not have any uninvited guests.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Never say: "If" I hit the lottery...   I choose to say "When" I hit the lottery I will stay put here in China. This is my destiny. It's a whole different whole here. I am born and raised in NYC but would only go back as a visitor. I would buy me a nice house and live as I do now, a simple life.