Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Holiday Raffle Games

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Mystory365.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Are you going to buy a ticket?

Yes - I'll buy one or two [ 22 ]  [42.31%]
Yes - I'll probably get several [ 10 ]  [19.23%]
No - I think they're a waste of money [ 9 ]  [17.31%]
No - other [ 3 ]  [5.77%]
Not Sure [ 8 ]  [15.38%]
Total Valid Votes [ 52 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: November 20, 2007, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Well, it's that time of year again and the lotteries are selling Holiday Scratchers and Holiday Raffle tickets.

Florida started to sell their new raffle game on November 19, reminding people to buy early or they might miss out on winning a million dollars with "the best odds to do so."

I didn't buy a ticket last year, but I spent $20 on the July 4th game and didn't win anything, so now I'm a bit apprehensive about spending $20 on just one raffle ticket.

Does your state have a holiday raffle this year?  If so, do you plan to participate in it?

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7322 Posts
    Posted: November 20, 2007, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

Well, it's that time of year again and the lotteries are selling Holiday Scratchers and Holiday Raffle tickets.

Florida started to sell their new raffle game on November 19, reminding people to buy early or they might miss out on winning a million dollars with "the best odds to do so."

I didn't buy a ticket last year, but I spent $20 on the July 4th game and didn't win anything, so now I'm a bit apprehensive about spending $20 on just one raffle ticket.

Does your state have a holiday raffle this year?  If so, do you plan to participate in it?

The decision to buy a raffle ticket really depends on how one normally buys other tickets. If I were playing a set of numbers in a pick-5, lotto, or MM/PB game and had to choose between playing those numbers or skipping a few draws to play the raffle, I would continue playing those numbers because the last thing I'd want to see is 4, 5, or 6 of my number drawn while I was waiting for the raffle drawing.

With QPs and scratch-offs since you never bought the tickets, you'll never know if you made the wrong choice. The top prize on most $1 scratch-offs is usually under $5000 with about a 1 in 1 million chance of winning. Compared to buying twenty $1 scratch-offs, I think buying one raffle ticket is better.

Ohio and Pennsylvania are having raffles so I'll probably buy a ticket or two in both. I've had people give me $20 worth of scratch-offs as Christmas gifts so if they're listening, GIVE ME A RAFFLE TICKET this year.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
      Member #50124
      February 26, 2007
      601 Posts
      Posted: November 20, 2007, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

This is the first year my state has held a raffle, and I'm planning on getting 2 tickets.  They're $10 apiece, with only 1 top prize of 1 million.

I just got an email with a birthday coupon for a $1 scratch-off, so I'll buy one of those also.  But I probably wouldn't if it weren't for the coupon.  I might buy a couple more scratch-offs to put in my mail carriers' cards, but then again, this is Mormon country so I'm not sure if they'd be appreciated.

ohiopick3's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
        Ohio
        United States
        Member #3023
        December 14, 2003
        4166 Posts
        Posted: November 20, 2007, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Ohio starts their "New Years Raffle" sales on Friday 11-23.

But, it is hard to believe that they can sell out by then with such little notice?

I will buy one only. 

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: November 20, 2007, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

I have no idea why, but FL decided to have the drawing on Dec 29.   I think last year it was on New Year's Day.  Maybe some people wanted overtime pay!  LOL

They sold about $50,000 on Monday (the first day) and expect to sell out again.  Last year they sold out in 11 days according to the FL web site.   I have a feeling this year will be slower because of the economy, although an awful lot of wealthy people come to FL in the winter.  No matter what anyone tells you, rich people do play the lottery.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10354 Posts
            Posted: November 20, 2007, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

"I have a feeling this year will be slower because of the economy..."

A really rich guy told me one time that when the economy gets worse people gamble more,  because the money just isn't worrth as much.

In fact, he said when the economy gets worse people eat out, drink, and gamble more.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: November 20, 2007, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

A really rich guy told me one time that when the economy gets worse people gamble more,  because the money just isn't worrth as much.

In fact, he said when the economy gets worse people eat out, drink, and gamble more.  

Good point.  At Publix yesterday someone bought a bunch of scratchers, turned around and said to me "I hope I win something.  I need to go Christmas shopping!"

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: November 20, 2007, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

I hear the same from a friend that owns a business with lottery sales: the worse the economy the more the people wager.  It  is the WTH (What The Hey) syndrome, all or none, damn the torpedoes full speed ahead, in for a penny in for a pound?, you only live once,  what me worry?, tommorrow is only theoretical (mine), Rome is burning,  etc. thinking.

Party

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: November 20, 2007, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Must be true!  I just looked at the Florida site again and they're reporting as of 5:00 today 109,000 tickets sold since yesterday.  This will definitely be an early sell-out.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                    nashville
                    United States
                    Member #49896
                    February 18, 2007
                    1181 Posts
                    Posted: November 20, 2007, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

i bought a $20 raffle ticket when i was in georgia so ill buy more when i go back in a few weeks.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1303
                      March 27, 2003
                      1508 Posts
                      Posted: November 20, 2007, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

They do. Ours is $10.00  I'll probably get one, but I'm in no hurry and don't think it that importnt. The state didn't get anywhere near selling all their tickets earlier this year.  But even with the odds reduced bcause of that, I missed winning anything. However, it is the best odds, even as large as they  are...

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                        Jacksonville Florida
                        United States
                        Member #23018
                        October 6, 2005
                        918 Posts
                        Posted: November 20, 2007, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

And...in the Florida Holiday Raffle this year, every 50th raffle ticket sold will be an instant winner of $50 until the 20,000th instant-win prize is awarded (the first million tickets).

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
                          Raleigh
                          United States
                          Member #49057
                          January 17, 2007
                          172 Posts
                          Posted: November 20, 2007, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I bought one for my NC raffle, and I will buy one every holiday season as a Christmas present to myself. :)

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: November 21, 2007, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

So far, I've bought three for the Idaho raffle that is going on. I may buy one or two more. I'm not sure yet. I did however buy the tickets on different days to get a variety of numbers. Luckily our tickets are only $10. If they were $20, I'd probably only get two. 

Southwest Florida
                              United States
                              Member #56183
                              November 6, 2007
                              75 Posts
                              Posted: November 23, 2007, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

I bought one for the July 4th one and someone won $100, 000 from the retailer I bought mine from!  In fact, it was on the same day as I bought mine!