Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Proper use of ratings!

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23262 Posts
Posted: December 1, 2007, 2:53 am - IP Logged

If you want to make the star ratings truly useful, don't always rate everything you like as 5 stars! 

I've been noticing an over-abundance of 5-star ratings, especially in the Pick 3 forum.  For many, a post will either get 5 stars, or won't get rated at all.  That's not really going to help anyone. 

If you reserve 5 stars for special topics, you will have a much more useful rating system.

What good does it do if every post in the Pick 3 forum is rated either 5 stars or no stars?  The Lottery Discussion forum topics are rated more reasonably, as they are a mixture.

Don't be afraid of hurting someone's feelings by saying their topic is "good", as opposed to "excellent".  Saying it's "good" is a positive thing.  If someone's ego can't handle "good", then geez louise, what can they handle? 

Personally, I would think that a post containing just numbers would be "average".  It's not "bad" to post numbers, and it's certainly not "excellent". 

Why not reserve "excellent" for a topic that teaches you something truly unique?  If that began happening, then the really useful posts would become more noticeable, and perhaps people would even strive harder to come up with some more really interesting topics.  As it stands right now, I look down the Pick 3 forum and see a wave of stars.  I have no idea what's unique and what's numbers.

What do you think?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: December 1, 2007, 3:20 am - IP Logged

i agree,if i really like a topic now i'll give it 4 stars.one thats run of the mill maybe three.five stars has to be a very good classic article.here is how i would do the ratings....

5 stars--a rating you might use a couple times a month.that classic absolutely great topic that is very hard to top and very enjoyable.

4 stars--that rating where you see a topic that is good and consistent and has useful information.you use this one probably quite a few times throughout the week.

3 stars--a rating used when you read something and its just average.an ok topic you like but usually don't read more than once and has some value but not too much.

2 stars--a rating used for a topic that while it does have a shred or two of useful information it for the most part is really useless but has one or two enjoyable things keeping it from being one star but for the most part is forgettable.

1 star-a rating used when the topic is really totally useless.you learn nothing and get nothing at all from it by reading it.it is totally valueless and there is no enjoyment or knowledge to be had from it.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23262 Posts
      Posted: December 1, 2007, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Mike,

These are good descriptions.  Everyone has their own interpretation, but I would think your descriptions would be a good start for anyone.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!