Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Millionaire Christmas - Discovery Channel

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 9 years ago by onenumber.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: December 6, 2007, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

Anyore catch this on Wed. 12-5-07?

The program showed two Powerball winners who had been social workers in St Louis.

I think thye were part of a pool but they focused on on these two. The idea seemed to be to show two different perspectives on coming into that kind of money, one woman was quite the philanthropist, giving to Habitat for Humanity and similar projects.

The other women was kind of super defensive of her winnings, but seemed very well informed about lotto winners, stating that studies showed 50% of lotto winners are in worse shape five years later than they were before they won.

They interviewed her sistrers and one sister said that winnig the jackpot changed the winner's life, but not her life. She came ouit and said she was expecting to get $500,000 of the winnings. 

The jackpot winner's son moved in with her after she had bought a much nicer house and right from the get go she was asking him how long he planned on staying there. It was obvious he was expecting a free ride from then on.

Something she said was quite memorable, "The more you do for people the more they want you to do." 

It was on Discovery and called Millionaire Christmas, I'm sure it will show again. It's really worth watching.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
    nashville
    United States
    Member #49896
    February 18, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: December 7, 2007, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Anyore catch this on Wed. 12-5-07?

The program showed two Powerball winners who had been social workers in St Louis.

I think thye were part of a pool but they focused on on these two. The idea seemed to be to show two different perspectives on coming into that kind of money, one woman was quite the philanthropist, giving to Habitat for Humanity and similar projects.

The other women was kind of super defensive of her winnings, but seemed very well informed about lotto winners, stating that studies showed 50% of lotto winners are in worse shape five years later than they were before they won.

They interviewed her sistrers and one sister said that winnig the jackpot changed the winner's life, but not her life. She came ouit and said she was expecting to get $500,000 of the winnings. 

The jackpot winner's son moved in with her after she had bought a much nicer house and right from the get go she was asking him how long he planned on staying there. It was obvious he was expecting a free ride from then on.

Something she said was quite memorable, "The more you do for people the more they want you to do." 

It was on Discovery and called Millionaire Christmas, I'm sure it will show again. It's really worth watching.  

i saw the last 30 minutes of this show coin toss so thanks for filling me in on what i missed because i didnt know why they focused on these two winners. the sisters were really impatient and insulting of their sister who won  the lottery but they came to the Christmas dinner anyway just in case she decided to hand out huge checks to get them out of debt.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10344 Posts
      Posted: December 7, 2007, 1:17 am - IP Logged

The woman who had won the jackpot made the point several times that people are going to expect you to be their "ATM" and was insistent that she wouldn't let that happen.

I say good for her.

I remember a previous lotto program where one guy said he had literally given people a million dollars each- and everyone he gave money to came back looking for more, bar none.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
        Member #38687
        May 3, 2006
        315 Posts
        Posted: December 7, 2007, 2:18 am - IP Logged

omg i definitly have to try and catch that show.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

onenumber's avatar - swordgirl
          Chicago, IL
          United States
          Member #8354
          November 2, 2004
          1580 Posts
          Posted: December 7, 2007, 8:00 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss,

There was actually 2 full hours of this program on TLC and will be on again on Dec. 16.  I actually missed the first 30 mins but came in on the tail end of them featuring a couple who were helping out less fortunate families. The other lady was another one of the 13 social workers that won a jackpot over $200 million.  Call me crazy, but I think that lady with the son, was right...it's her money and she can do as she pleases with it.  Her one sister, who asked for the $500M, must be on some serious drugs.  When a person wins the lottery, why do people think they are entitled to anything.  Or, you are expected to use your winnings to get them out of debt.  Don't get me wrong, I would help out my family, but don't quit your job or think I'm going to fulfill your every fantasy because "I" won the lottery.  Like her sister said, "when Sandra called me and told me she won, I felt like I won the lottery", Why??

I'm happy to see lottery winner's who are using their money wisely and hopefully will not go broke trying to please other people. 

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2006/041206mo.shtm