Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you know someone who has won the MegaMillions / Powerball?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you know someone who has hit the Mega Millions or the Powerball?

Yes, I know someone who has won. [ 11 ]  [17.74%]
I know someone who knows somebody who won. [ 9 ]  [14.52%]
No, I don't know anyone who has won. [ 37 ]  [59.68%]
I won. (Note: I'm probably lying) [ 5 ]  [8.06%]
Total Valid Votes [ 62 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United States
Member #56869
December 7, 2007
6 Posts
Posted: December 7, 2007, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

I was shocked recently to find out that a fairly good friend of mine has an uncle who hit the Mega Millions here in Ohio. It got me thinking about how low the odds are even to be acquainted with someone who has won. So I figured I'd spark a discussion about this; I'm assuming it's been done before and I apoligize if it's been overdone, but I'm curious to know. If you do know someone (or are akin to someone) who has won, give a little background on the story if you feel compelled to do so.

I don't know much about my friend's uncle who won, other than him and his wife were both blue-collar (factory, if my memory serves me correctly) workers who hit the lotto while in their forties. I guess they mostly just travel now. Sounds about right--who wouldn't?

Anyways, have at you, and I look forward to hearnig from you all. 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: December 7, 2007, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

I won.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
      Member #56869
      December 7, 2007
      6 Posts
      Posted: December 7, 2007, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Is that so? Care to share your story?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: December 7, 2007, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball was at $26M and I bought a $5 quick pick. The last line on the ticket matched all the numbers. I took the cash option of $13M, which after taxes came to $9.3M. Oh, I forgot to mention that this happened in a dream I had.ApproveRazz

Gonna win.Big Smile

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
          Member #55246
          September 20, 2007
          225 Posts
          Posted: December 7, 2007, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I won.

ROFL

If not for your signature line, I would have believed you Guru. I hope you win one day (if not tonight).

ohiopick3's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
            Ohio
            United States
            Member #3023
            December 14, 2003
            4166 Posts
            Posted: December 7, 2007, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Not as of this hour?

But it could be "me" tonight! You never know!

Just try it! 

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
              Member #38687
              May 3, 2006
              315 Posts
              Posted: December 7, 2007, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

my best friend knows a guy that lives in atlanta that won the pick6 in New Jersey some years ago. The story behind the win is that he worked at a nursing home and a resident at the nursing home actually won and he took the ticket from her.....but to make it seem like he didn't take the ticket from her he split it with some of his co-workers.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: December 7, 2007, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

I have a cousin who is married to someone who has a sister who went to college with a girl who grew up with the son of a neighbor who once played tag with a kid whose father married the daughter of a couple who lived down the block from someone who walked the dog of someone who won PB. 

Jack-in-the-Box

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10345 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2007, 12:21 am - IP Logged

But you have to link at least one of them to Kevin Bacon

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: December 8, 2007, 1:29 am - IP Logged

my best friend knows a guy that lives in atlanta that won the pick6 in New Jersey some years ago. The story behind the win is that he worked at a nursing home and a resident at the nursing home actually won and he took the ticket from her.....but to make it seem like he didn't take the ticket from her he split it with some of his co-workers.

This sounds familiar, maybe not.  If this is a true story, it's sickening. Since you said this was a long time ago, there's nothing you can do about it, but if I ever met someone who admitted to such a terrible crime, I'd definitely contact the police and the lottery.  What did your "best friend" do when this person claimed he robbed someone in a nursing home?

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                      Member #38687
                      May 3, 2006
                      315 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2007, 4:12 am - IP Logged

This sounds familiar, maybe not.  If this is a true story, it's sickening. Since you said this was a long time ago, there's nothing you can do about it, but if I ever met someone who admitted to such a terrible crime, I'd definitely contact the police and the lottery.  What did your "best friend" do when this person claimed he robbed someone in a nursing home?

tru story......no my friend didn't contact the police....I mean it was some years ago and they took cash option. So has gotten that money and spent a good bit of it. My friend would have looked like a bit of a fool going down to the police station to report something like that. He doesn't have any proof other than hear-say. O but the guy is paying for it though because he had to separate himself from his family because they all ask him for money all the time. I know that shorlty after the win their house was broken into and thats why he moved down south. He doesn't have alot of friends either. I know that he and his mother used to be really close and they don't really speak now because she wanted him to take care of her if she quit her job or retired early .......something to the effect of him being her ATM and he wouldn't agree to do so.....If I'm not mistaken the old lady tried to stop the lottery commission from paying but they did an investigation and she didn't have any proof the ticket was originally hers.

i can tell you this though......after hearing my friend talk about this guy......this is the reason why I sign the back of all my tickets as soon as I get them. I dont hesitate to flip that little piece of paper over and put my John Han on the signature line.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                        West Side of Sunny Florida
                        United States
                        Member #55048
                        September 8, 2007
                        3371 Posts
                        Posted: December 8, 2007, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I won.

I won also...

$2 for hitting the power ball last night!!!

Naughty

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: December 8, 2007, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

I won also...

$2 for hitting the power ball last night!!!

Naughty

They owe you a buck. The powerball pays $3. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                            Member #14
                            November 9, 2001
                            31343 Posts
                            Posted: December 8, 2007, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Disgusting.

love to nibble those micey feet.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19821 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2007, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

I was shocked recently to find out that a fairly good friend of mine has an uncle who hit the Mega Millions here in Ohio. It got me thinking about how low the odds are even to be acquainted with someone who has won. So I figured I'd spark a discussion about this; I'm assuming it's been done before and I apoligize if it's been overdone, but I'm curious to know. If you do know someone (or are akin to someone) who has won, give a little background on the story if you feel compelled to do so.

I don't know much about my friend's uncle who won, other than him and his wife were both blue-collar (factory, if my memory serves me correctly) workers who hit the lotto while in their forties. I guess they mostly just travel now. Sounds about right--who wouldn't?

Anyways, have at you, and I look forward to hearnig from you all. 

Although I never met Andrew Jackson Whittaker Jr.(born c. 1947 in Jumping Branch, Summers County, West Virginia) personally, after he won the $315M PowerBall jackpot back in 2002 on Christmas Day, he was covered so much by the news media that it feels like I know him.  Does that count?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking