Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you know someone who has won the MegaMillions / Powerball?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you know someone who has hit the Mega Millions or the Powerball?

Yes, I know someone who has won. [ 11 ]  [17.74%]
I know someone who knows somebody who won. [ 9 ]  [14.52%]
No, I don't know anyone who has won. [ 37 ]  [59.68%]
I won. (Note: I'm probably lying) [ 5 ]  [8.06%]
Total Valid Votes [ 62 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1956 Posts
Posted: December 9, 2007, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

Although I never met Andrew Jackson Whittaker Jr.(born c. 1947 in Jumping Branch, Summers County, West Virginia) personally, after he won the $315M PowerBall jackpot back in 2002 on Christmas Day, he was covered so much by the news media that it feels like I know him.  Does that count?

Nope. Most of the stuff you see from the media about a particular person is just "the dirt" on that person.

Gonna win.Big Smile

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8366 Posts
    Posted: December 9, 2007, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

I know two brothers who won megamillions.

1 guy i worked with his father and 11 others won mega millions.

I know people who are related to Bunky B.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
      Portland,Oregon
      United States
      Member #14387
      April 25, 2005
      229 Posts
      Posted: December 10, 2007, 1:14 am - IP Logged

I don't know anyone who won Megamillions or Powerball ... but I do know someone who won the state Lottery - They won about $2.5 million in Megabucks in Oregon.  Twould be nice to say they lived happily ever after .. but their win was before 9/11 and they lost a lot of their investment after that.   

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

MissNYC's avatar - diva
        Westchester, New York
        United States
        Member #49345
        January 27, 2007
        168 Posts
        Posted: December 10, 2007, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

Ever hear of 6 degrees of seperation? It's more than a movie, it's a theory that everyone is no more than 6 degrees (people) away from someone. For instance celebrities. Lets say Hugh Hefner, my friend met Kendra at a club, so I'm 3 away from him...Britney Spears....my friend's cousin worked at MTV and worked with her several times, so 3 again...Tom Cruise...my co-worker's nephew is a casting director in CA and met and casted him for two movies...3 again...that's just a coincidence, but in theory, the most it should ever be is 6. You may not know the 6 degrees that exist, but with some research, I'm sure you would all be suprised.

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #46570
          September 14, 2006
          558 Posts
          Posted: December 10, 2007, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

Ever hear of 6 degrees of seperation? It's more than a movie, it's a theory that everyone is no more than 6 degrees (people) away from someone. For instance celebrities. Lets say Hugh Hefner, my friend met Kendra at a club, so I'm 3 away from him...Britney Spears....my friend's cousin worked at MTV and worked with her several times, so 3 again...Tom Cruise...my co-worker's nephew is a casting director in CA and met and casted him for two movies...3 again...that's just a coincidence, but in theory, the most it should ever be is 6. You may not know the 6 degrees that exist, but with some research, I'm sure you would all be suprised.

I remember when that started up ... the six degrees of Kevin Bacon where you had to associate how one actor from one movie was tied to Kevin Bacon through a series of links from other movies.

Anyways.. back to the subject at hand. My father missed the jackpot at work with a few co-workers by 1 number and that number being 1 number off too. I think that's the closest I've ever been to winning. I was about 10-12 years old at the time.

When I was in junior high, one kids' dad had won 6 or 7 million and it always seemed that kid was isolated and never wanted to join in on things. But the girls 'swarmed' around him like he had honey all over him. Confused

The most I ever won was 1000 on a scratch ticket where I had 10 - 100 dollar wins. That was a good day... about 10 years ago. "Still waiting for the big one" ... I should have that written on my tombstone after I pass on one day.  LOL 

See full size image                                               

Don't Play more, Play Smarter!

United States
            Member #57140
            December 19, 2007
            3 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2007, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I know the son of a deceased famous comedian who won the California Superlotto.  His payments just ended! 

Blimey's avatar - box avatar.gif
              Illinois
              United States
              Member #1201
              February 27, 2003
              86 Posts
              Posted: December 22, 2007, 11:59 am - IP Logged

The winner of the mega millions last week who bought the ticket at a streamwood,IL gas station is thought to be  or now a former mailhandler (postal worker) from Carol Stream IL

takeitez's avatar - japheth
                Carters Lake, Ga.
                United States
                Member #5313
                June 29, 2004
                1065 Posts
                Posted: December 22, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Remember the guy (truck driver) from Rocky Face, Ga. that won that hugh Jackpot in Mega Millioons earlier this year?

He worked at the same plant where my other half works in the office. She knew him. He came to her office to pick up orders.

He is a avid fisherman. I live on the lake (Carters Lake) about 30 miles from his former house, he lived with his Mother. 

I fished with him several times in our local Bass Club tournaments. Talked about fishing with him several times.

Well, he bought a hugh house  on the mountain not far from here and had a chain link fence put up all around his property. He had an old model pick-up truck and a small bass boat.

I saw him putting in his new boat into the water not long ago and spoke to him, he didn't speak to me. Well, he did kind of grunt something like a Hello, but no more than that. He has a new boat now (big enough to put my boat in) and he drives one of those giant Hummers. The boat and the Hummer are painted to match.

From what I hear he still can't fish!

But I am still happy for him, if I had won a lot of money I would up-grade my fishing stuff too!!

ez

No Pity!Guitar  Drum ........ in the long run........

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                  Marquette, MI
                  United States
                  Member #20541
                  August 20, 2005
                  705 Posts
                  Posted: January 2, 2008, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

I Know someone who won the Michigan 6/40 in 1984 and I know someone who won the Michigan 6/49 in 1994 but by the time 2004 came around Michigan switched from balls to computer picks and nobody wins anything anymore...no Keno, no Classic, no Mega...nothing.

I don't know anyone who won PB or MM and I don't even know anybody who knows anyone that won!!

Most I ever got on Mega was 10 bucks and on PB I got 35 bucks.

It took me 21 years before I got $100 on the Michigan 6/xx games and I have not gotten anything bigger than that.

United States
                    Member #10720
                    January 23, 2005
                    933 Posts
                    Posted: January 2, 2008, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

I know people who know people who won not Mega but other games with large jackpts, Win4LIFE, Pick5, Pick6..i won the 5 myself but it was not a newsworthy prize.

Also, WAKE UP! we still don't know in nj if the winner 6 miles from here in Wharton, came forward or anything. In fact the news of the 2 winning Megas in December has not shown up on here yet.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                      MI
                      United States
                      Member #54830
                      August 31, 2007
                      985 Posts
                      Posted: January 3, 2008, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

Haven't been here in a few months, nope didn't win anything (never that lucky), heck I don't even know anyone that's won more than $50 on a scratch off, that being my grandmother around 12 or so years ago on a ticket I picked out.

You can't predict random.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                        Member #24380
                        October 21, 2005
                        623 Posts
                        Posted: January 4, 2008, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

I have a cousin who is married to someone who has a sister who went to college with a girl who grew up with the son of a neighbor who once played tag with a kid whose father married the daughter of a couple who lived down the block from someone who walked the dog of someone who won PB. 

Jack-in-the-Box

Now that was a response.  LOL