Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Confidence

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
Lotto City, Michigan
United States
Member #36256
March 30, 2006
1472 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2007, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Although the lottery has been treating me like I was Joan Crawford's stepchild, I haven't lost confidence.

I am confident that I will win the lottery; 

For me, when it comes to the jackpot, the only question is "when"? 

Like The Doobie Brothers said, "What a fool believes, he sees." Wink

Lotto City, Michigan
    United States
    Member #36256
    March 30, 2006
    1472 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

I don't mean confidence in an arrogant way, but what's the point in playing if you don't believe you can win??? Hat

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

You're right. Despite all logic, the best attitude is the most positive one. Whether it works or not, it's all we have to best influence whatever unseen magic in the universe might accomplish, like quantum theory, which defies all understanding.

Keep up the good fight. I admire your tenacity tonight. Relentlessness toward a goal unseen. A lot of when I win and so forth. it's rubbing off on me.

GOOD LUCK!

Lotto City, Michigan
        United States
        Member #36256
        March 30, 2006
        1472 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2007, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Thanks and welcome back! Thumbs Up

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2007, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

I don't mean confidence in an arrogant way, but what's the point in playing if you don't believe you can win??? Hat

There is no point in playing if you don't think you can win.

If anyone feels otherwise, please send me your money.  I will put it to good use (house on the beach, a Lear, a Telsa electric car, travel to England before Shria law takes affect, buy a barrel of Jack Daniels, join the mile high club, become a permanent member of the six foot under crowd, ect.). 

Like that famous Green Bay Packer coach once said, (or was it Yoge Berra?)  "Winning ain't everything but it sure beats whatever is in second place."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10353 Posts
            Posted: December 12, 2007, 12:33 am - IP Logged

I think saying we hope to win is a wee bit more realisitc - most drawings prove that millions of people who said they can win were wrong. 

And we know that gambling is the workings slob's only real hope of ever making a big score.

Oh- the football coach was Vince Lombardi and what he said was, "Winnig isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Not sure who, but someone said, "Winning isn't everyhting , but losing sure sux." 

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: December 12, 2007, 2:16 am - IP Logged

I think there is a possibility I will win a jackpot, but it's not likely.  I don't think confidence has anything to do with it unless you believe you have control over the results and they aren't simply random numbers.

United States
                Member #56869
                December 7, 2007
                6 Posts
                Posted: December 12, 2007, 5:36 am - IP Logged

The bottom line is, SOMEBODY has to hit the jackpot. Why not you? Or me? Approve

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
                  Houston, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #56457
                  November 19, 2007
                  55 Posts
                  Posted: December 12, 2007, 8:22 am - IP Logged

Although the lottery has been treating me like I was Joan Crawford's stepchild, I haven't lost confidence.

I am confident that I will win the lottery; 

For me, when it comes to the jackpot, the only question is "when"? 

Like The Doobie Brothers said, "What a fool believes, he sees." Wink

I think confidence has a lot to do with it, the ability of thinking "when" and not "if" you win gives you the tenaciousness of repeat playing. I think someone said on here, "someone must win, why not you or me". You must play to win, so why not you or me????? Anyway, Good Luck to all!

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49784 Posts
                    Posted: December 12, 2007, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Confidence or Defiance?

Defiance: Resistance to an opposing force (The Lottery).

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: December 12, 2007, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

I have the belief that I will one day win big and I also have hope that I will win. I don't know if that is confidence or not. I just try to stay positive. I go in thinking that I am going to win. No use of playing if one thinks they are going to lose.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: December 12, 2007, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I would never say something is impossible if there's a chance of winning, just unlikely if the odds are great. PB and MM have astronomical odds. Our Lotto game is 1:23M so, I recently began to play pick-5 and FL is 1 to 36.   1 in about 370K combinations compared to 146M or 170M sounds much easier to hit, right? If I spend $2 every day ($60 a month) on this one game I will spend more than $720 at the end of the year. That's more than the cost of a new computer or a new TV or several new suits or my annual electric bill. Of course it's only about 16 fill-ups at the tank these days!

Anyway, I took 720 plays and, assuming every day a different combination is drawn (which probably won't be the case over time) it could take more than 500 years for me to win. Yikes. So, although it lowers my chances, I decided that I can't afford another $60 a month and will just spend $1 and skip a few days now & then.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that hope and confidence are great things to have.  We need both of them all the time.  I grew up with little self-esteem, and if I had more confidence in myself, I probably would have gone a lot further in life.  A positive attitude is very important too.  We attract what is in our minds and hearts.  But my fear is that I hear so many people saying they are sure they are going to win, that I truly believe they're banking on it, not putting in whatever effort they need to work, save, live if they never hit.  Maybe I'm wrong or maybe nobody will admit it, but that's the tone I often hear on this board. There are only X amount of winners every year, which means that those people will eventually lose their hope and confidence & have shattered dreams after a while which is very sad. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: December 12, 2007, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

The bottom line is, SOMEBODY has to hit the jackpot. Why not you? Or me? Approve

Lukin,

I'm just a little curious as to where you got that idea. Most drawings no one hits. Eventually somebody hits a jackpot, yes - but search this board for "Indiana Lottery"* or look for posts by "Losing Jeff" and see what you find.

I can't think of any source of info on any official lottery site where you would find "Somebody has to it the jackpot." 

Illinois has a jingle they play occassionally that goes, "Someone's going to lotto, why not you", but not "someone's going to hit the jackpot, why not you". Worried about false advertising? 

(*Recently, the Indiana lottery went for quite a strectch of time before anyone hit it) 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: December 12, 2007, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

I have come to believe that when I hit it will be with my Pool friends..  I have pool 17 in the works now.. Will start Pool 18 tomorrow..

Each person putting in 1 dollar to make it stretch 10 draws, makes playing for 10cents a draw...  The pools are made up of different people... I have had to form a book to keep up with it all...

Special charts are being made now to narrow down the numbers... Some you just don't want to include in your picks... Those are most likely seen on quick picks and hardly ever on the actual draw results...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Lotto City, Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #36256
                              March 30, 2006
                              1472 Posts
                              Posted: December 13, 2007, 8:58 am - IP Logged

I think confidence has a lot to do with it, the ability of thinking "when" and not "if" you win gives you the tenaciousness of repeat playing. I think someone said on here, "someone must win, why not you or me". You must play to win, so why not you or me????? Anyway, Good Luck to all!

Thanks! I remember reading a book by Norman Vincent Peale entitled, "The Power of Positive Thinking".

You can do almost anything, if you only believe. Smile