Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You win the mega millions $163 million on tuesday.

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LckyLary.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #3222
January 4, 2004
80 Posts
Posted: December 18, 2007, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

You win the mega millions $163 million on tuesday.  What would you do for the next 7 days?

I will start.

Tuesday - Win 163 mega Million - take cash option.

Day 1 (Wednesday)

1) Call in sick from work.

2) Make sign copies of winning ticket.

3) Put org. ticket in bank safety box.

4) Sleep all day dream about how to spend winnings.

5) Take wife to a fancy resturant but not tell her about the good news.

Day 2 ( Thursday ) 

1) Go to work as nothing has happened.

2) Take a long lunch brake to seek advice from your lawyer. 

3) Order chinese take out for dinner.

Day 3  ( Friday )

1) Go to work.

2) Go see my lawyer on my lunch break.

3) Ask boss for early 2 week vacation.  If he says yes, cool but if says no, continue working.  Most likely he will say no. 

4) Ask wife to buy dinner.  Order most expensive item on the menu and Laugh inside.

Day 4  ( Saturday )

1) Sleep till 2 pm

2) Take wife shopping using her money. lol 

3) Go to ebay bid and win a new Nintendo WII syetem.  I always wanted one.

Day 5 ( Sunday)

1) Go to church and thank God for the blessing he has given me.  Pray for wisdom to spend the money wisely.

Day 6 ( Monday )

1) Go to work.

2) Eat at Burger king for lunch for the last time.

3) Beg boss for time off.  Still he says no way. 

4) Go to my inlaws house for dinner. Bring flowers.  Lots of nagging from them.  No fights today.  All smiles. 

Day  7 ( Tuesday )

1) Go to work

2) Quit job.  Boss laughs at me and wishes me good luck in unemployment.

3) Ask wife to come home early.

4) Tell wife the sad news about quiting job.  Wife starts getting angry.  I finally tell her the good news and starts jumping for joy.  She calls her office and takes sick leave.

5) Put valubles in bank safe deposit box.

6) Rent a storage and put everything we want to keep. Old photos.

7) Go to claim jackpot and check into a 5 star hotel. 

8) Disappear 

You win the mega millions $163 million on tuesday.  What would you do for the next 7 days?

Go someplace warm. I think I've had enough of the cold in NY.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: December 18, 2007, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Ky Floyd you mentioned

"Forcing somebody into a press conference they don't want to attend sounds like a bad idea.  "

Wouldn't you like to be the person that teaches them its a bad idea?  Just show up and don't say a word.  Stand there mute and then put a small sign that says

"I am here only because this is required, and will NOT answer any questions, please pay me and we all can get on with our lives, thanx - New Jackpot Winner"

Leaving

Which will draw only more attention to you than just getting the press conference over with and being boring as possible. If you win a large jackpot and decide not to collect interest, can you still be taxed every year?

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
      Member #4121
      March 23, 2004
      817 Posts
      Posted: December 19, 2007, 7:47 am - IP Logged

WTG to the winners!!!!

Lets continue this topic. It's very helpful. 

Party

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: December 19, 2007, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Which will draw only more attention to you than just getting the press conference over with and being boring as possible. If you win a large jackpot and decide not to collect interest, can you still be taxed every year?

sirbad

You're assuming that holding the press conference will "get things over with". Very doubtful. All it takes is appearing at a press conference and then the fun starts. After that it will be quite some time before you have a moment's peace again. 

Think not? Remember on some of those lotto documentaries when people were getting 50,000 letters addressed to:

Lottery winner

Town, state? 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Captain Lotto's avatar - CaptLotto
          Jefferson City, MO
          United States
          Member #55250
          September 20, 2007
          97 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2007, 10:22 am - IP Logged

I think doing the press conference does get it (most of it) out of the way.  Give the reporters a chance to ask their questions and do a story, and then usually it dies down.  People who know you that ask for money maybe don't go away as quickly, but the press usually just wants a story... preferably before anyone else gets it! Smile

As far as taxes go, you have to pay taxes on your winnings based on the time you take possession of your cash.  They can't tax you for money you don't have yet.  It usually takes a few weeks to process a multi-state claim.  In Missouri, it doesn't matter where you live - a certain percentage will be WITHHELD.  People who live out of state have to file paperwork to get any of that back from the IRS. 

Likewise, lottery winnings are taxed as INCOME.  That means you'll have to pay those taxes in any calendar year you make a claim.  After that, your earnings, if you have any, will be taxed at the applicable rate (interest, capital gains, etc.) 

Captain Lotto

"Every day is a good day!"

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10344 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2007, 11:09 am - IP Logged

Just as an FYI, the Illinois winner was a QP:

(Illinois): 

PLAYERS MATCHING 5 OF 5 NUMBERS
                             AND THE MEGA BALL           2
            EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE       $81,500,000.00

WINNING TICKETS WERE SOLD AT

201425    SHELL CLUSTER #851          (QP)
                             851 S SUTTON
                             STREAMWOOD/60107

As for press conferences, this is interesting, from the Powerball website:

Name Withheld
                          Wisconsin
            March 31, 2007Cash$40,700,000.00 annuity
                       $19,321,993.13 cash

Anonymous
            South Carolina
            June 26, 2004Cash$34,231,030.83

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2007, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Ky Floyd you mentioned

"Forcing somebody into a press conference they don't want to attend sounds like a bad idea.  "

Wouldn't you like to be the person that teaches them its a bad idea?  Just show up and don't say a word.  Stand there mute and then put a small sign that says

"I am here only because this is required, and will NOT answer any questions, please pay me and we all can get on with our lives, thanx - New Jackpot Winner"

Leaving

LOL I like that idea.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

MissNYC's avatar - diva
                Westchester, New York
                United States
                Member #49345
                January 27, 2007
                168 Posts
                Posted: December 19, 2007, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Bummer...I didn't win. It seems like the megamillions and powerball rarely exceed 100 mil anymore, and when they do, it's a sure bet that someone will win shortly after. I feel like they used to hit 200, or even 300 mil MUCH more often than they do now. Jersey seems like a lucky state...much like Ohio, it would be my luck to drive to NJ and have the hit happen in NY. The last Megamillions winner lives about 30 minutes from me...talk about a close call!

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

United States
                  Member #4121
                  March 23, 2004
                  817 Posts
                  Posted: December 19, 2007, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Bummer...I didn't win. It seems like the megamillions and powerball rarely exceed 100 mil anymore, and when they do, it's a sure bet that someone will win shortly after. I feel like they used to hit 200, or even 300 mil MUCH more often than they do now. Jersey seems like a lucky state...much like Ohio, it would be my luck to drive to NJ and have the hit happen in NY. The last Megamillions winner lives about 30 minutes from me...talk about a close call!

I should have bought more tickets. lol 

The winning numbers were very hard.  I bet both winning tickets were qps.

oh well, maybe next time. 

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: December 20, 2007, 1:20 am - IP Logged

sirbad

You're assuming that holding the press conference will "get things over with". Very doubtful. All it takes is appearing at a press conference and then the fun starts. After that it will be quite some time before you have a moment's peace again. 

Think not? Remember on some of those lotto documentaries when people were getting 50,000 letters addressed to:

Lottery winner

Town, state? 

How about the other thousands of people who have won big that have not been bothered, nor heard about again? This is all dependent on demographic location, and amount won as well. Not to mention the intelligence and preparation of the winner. You wrongly assumed that I meant "everything" was over, when I did not. I simply sad the press conference was. If you rebel at a press conference you will draw more attention to yourself, and more people will follow simply out of spite.

Even I have changed the channel after hearing the typical press conference, and all the lies and other boring stuff they planned to not do etc. The news loves to focus on the minority, and that is all these extreme cases such as Whitaker, Edwards, etc are...minority. Heard anything bad about the West family yet? Neither have I. Good is boring and not reportable...

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: December 20, 2007, 1:32 am - IP Logged

I never saw this thread before today.  Funny that I started a thread today on winning a jackpot at the end of the year.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: December 20, 2007, 2:17 am - IP Logged

I never saw this thread before today.  Funny that I started a thread today on winning a jackpot at the end of the year.

Oops - here it is  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/167709

JackpotWanna - I like your plan.  However, I don't think it would be a great idea to keep the secret from your wife. (unless you plan to run off with someone else!)  As negative as it sounds, we never know what the next day will bring and someone else in your family needs to know that you have a safe deposit box.  Unless you already have a family lawyer, she would never know whom to contact, and that ticket might sit in the safe deposit box until after the expiration date.  You don't get a statement in the mail like a bank account.

Imagine - you've been in a coma and you suddenly wake up.  Your wife cries out with joy "Honey, you're awake.  I love you.  It's a miracle!"  You look at her with tears in your eyes and say "I love you too.  As soon as I get better, I'm going to take all that money I won and buy a beautiful house, we'll go on a long vacation and you can get that Jaguar you always wanted for your 30th birthday."  Smiling down at you she says softly, "That's so sweet.  By the way, it's been 7 months and I'm 31 now...What money?"

Just a brief note:  Why would you put old photos in a storage unit?  Storage units get broken into and water damaged sometimes.  Just put them in your safe deposit box with your other valuables and important papers.  When you see people on the news after a tornado, fire or hurricane has destroyed their homes, they're often crying that they don't even have photos of their children or parents any more. I have a small waterproof, fireproof safe I got at Wal-Mart for less than $40.  So if these photos are important to you, it will be a good investment, even if you don't win the lottery! 

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1884 Posts
                          Posted: December 20, 2007, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Just as an FYI, the Illinois winner was a QP:

(Illinois): 

PLAYERS MATCHING 5 OF 5 NUMBERS
                                           AND THE MEGA BALL           2
                          EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE       $81,500,000.00

WINNING TICKETS WERE SOLD AT

201425    SHELL CLUSTER #851          (QP)
                                           851 S SUTTON
                                           STREAMWOOD/60107

As for press conferences, this is interesting, from the Powerball website:

Name Withheld
                                        Wisconsin
                          March 31, 2007Cash$40,700,000.00 annuity
                                     $19,321,993.13 cash

Anonymous
                          South Carolina
                          June 26, 2004Cash$34,231,030.83

Unfortunately, that Illinois winner was not me.  Streamwood is a suburb of Chicago and I live in Morrison, which is only 13 miles east of the Mississippi.  However, it is nice to see someone from Illinois win a MM jackpot for once; that has not happened in over five years.

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10344 Posts
                            Posted: December 20, 2007, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

How about the other thousands of people who have won big that have not been bothered, nor heard about again? This is all dependent on demographic location, and amount won as well. Not to mention the intelligence and preparation of the winner. You wrongly assumed that I meant "everything" was over, when I did not. I simply sad the press conference was. If you rebel at a press conference you will draw more attention to yourself, and more people will follow simply out of spite.

Even I have changed the channel after hearing the typical press conference, and all the lies and other boring stuff they planned to not do etc. The news loves to focus on the minority, and that is all these extreme cases such as Whitaker, Edwards, etc are...minority. Heard anything bad about the West family yet? Neither have I. Good is boring and not reportable...

There's no doubt that some of those who have won big have managed to hold on to the money,  but there's no guarantee whatsoever that they haven't been bothered.

I'd certainly consider getting 50,000 leters from strangers addressed to "Lottery Winner" being bothered. That's not to mention family, friends, aquaintainces, neighbors, co-workers, and others who have access to you or see you on a daily basis. Even some of those who see you "once in a blue moon" will see to it that those "blue moons" are more frequent.

For most of the people viewing, a press conference is nothing but that, yes. To some other not-so-nice people it's nothing but a portal.  

I seriously suggest taking a look at the Missouri Lottery website and seeing their comments under "If you win" and "When you win a jackpot." 

Search the news forum for the woman jackpot winner in England. In that thread someone posted "If ever there was a case for remaining anonymous this is it."

There's a saying:

Say not you know another entirely till you have divided an inheritance with  him.
                            -Johann Kaspar Lavatar

Considering jackpots & family, let's paraphrase that and say;
                            till you have hit a jackpot!

Lep

United States
                              Member #4121
                              March 23, 2004
                              817 Posts
                              Posted: December 20, 2007, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

Oops - here it is  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/167709

JackpotWanna - I like your plan.  However, I don't think it would be a great idea to keep the secret from your wife. (unless you plan to run off with someone else!)  As negative as it sounds, we never know what the next day will bring and someone else in your family needs to know that you have a safe deposit box.  Unless you already have a family lawyer, she would never know whom to contact, and that ticket might sit in the safe deposit box until after the expiration date.  You don't get a statement in the mail like a bank account.

Imagine - you've been in a coma and you suddenly wake up.  Your wife cries out with joy "Honey, you're awake.  I love you.  It's a miracle!"  You look at her with tears in your eyes and say "I love you too.  As soon as I get better, I'm going to take all that money I won and buy a beautiful house, we'll go on a long vacation and you can get that Jaguar you always wanted for your 30th birthday."  Smiling down at you she says softly, "That's so sweet.  By the way, it's been 7 months and I'm 31 now...What money?"

Just a brief note:  Why would you put old photos in a storage unit?  Storage units get broken into and water damaged sometimes.  Just put them in your safe deposit box with your other valuables and important papers.  When you see people on the news after a tornado, fire or hurricane has destroyed their homes, they're often crying that they don't even have photos of their children or parents any more. I have a small waterproof, fireproof safe I got at Wal-Mart for less than $40.  So if these photos are important to you, it will be a good investment, even if you don't win the lottery! 

I agree my plan is not perfect.  Every plan has its flaws. That is why I created this topic so we can help each other. 

Good Luck.