Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NC pre-test drawings

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 9 years ago by mistory.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Tenaj's avatar - michellea
Charlotte NC
United States
Member #17406
June 18, 2005
4054 Posts
Posted: December 31, 2007, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

I e-mailed the NC Lottery and asked if they conducted pre-test drawings and this is the answer I received.  Thought maybe I'd share it in case anyone want to view a live drawing.

Yes, we test the machines and ball sets each night before and after each drawing.  For information on how to view a live drawing, you can call our Security Department and speak with Ms. Trish Coman at 919-301-3300.

Thank you for your interest in the NC Education Lottery. 

takeemtothebank

rteague's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    North Carolina
    United States
    Member #54608
    August 24, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: December 31, 2007, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

I e-mailed the NC Lottery and asked if they conducted pre-test drawings and this is the answer I received.  Thought maybe I'd share it in case anyone want to view a live drawing.

Yes, we test the machines and ball sets each night before and after each drawing.  For information on how to view a live drawing, you can call our Security Department and speak with Ms. Trish Coman at 919-301-3300.

Thank you for your interest in the NC Education Lottery. 

so if i understand stand this correctly...are you saying that the number that i just dumped $20 on may have been drawn that night,but only as a test draw,then the real number was drawn....lol...thats not cool 

"Locked and Loaded"

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: December 31, 2007, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

so if i understand stand this correctly...are you saying that the number that i just dumped $20 on may have been drawn that night,but only as a test draw,then the real number was drawn....lol...thats not cool 

That's exactly what I've been saying about the Florida games!   On one thread, several months ago, I said this affects the randomness of the drawings and some members here disagreed with me.  Yes, I agree that each drawing is a new game, but (in Florida) no 6 number combination has ever repeated. So if my 6 numbers get chosen, what are the odds all 6 will be chosen again?  Okay, I realize that the odds will still be the same as in any game, but the probability is that they won't come up anytime soon just based on chance and past history. 

I don't see why, if the balls are measured and weighed carefully, they need to run a test draw so often.  After all, even during televised drawings there are mishaps.  Here they claim they just want to make sure that there aren't any strange results, like #14 coming up 3 times in a row. My answer is "so what?"  How is that not random?  I've seen the same number repeat 4/5 consecutive times. What do they consider to be odd? To me, it doesn't make any sense, because if they do find that a number repeats, then they need to replace the ball and start all over again, don't they? 

Tenaj, do you want to know the results of the pre-tests?  I don't think FL publishes them, but I also don't think I care to know.   

Edit:  I posted at the same time as Mistory below and her comment makes a lot of sense, although I don't think it's a conspiracy. (who knows?)  Are you talking about Pick-3?  Sorry if I misunderstood.  Still, it's the same concept. 

mistory's avatar - leaf
        NC
        United States
        Member #46741
        September 26, 2006
        653 Posts
        Posted: December 31, 2007, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

oh boy...i agree...so who determines the pretest from the real drawing...or do they just keep drawing till the lowest played number hits??? not cool..not cool at all...Tenaj have you called yet?

Thats mi story and I'm sticking with it....
          Charlotte NC
          United States
          Member #17406
          June 18, 2005
          4054 Posts
          Posted: December 31, 2007, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if they publish the pre-test numbers.  Yes Justx - I'm assuming  pick 3.  We only have pick 3 and a 5 game and powerball.

I called and got a recording - they could be gone for the holiday.  But I did get a toll free number from the recording for in-state.

1-877-962-7529 

takeemtothebank

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: December 31, 2007, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Okay, sorry. (saw lottery discussion & assumed it was for all games)  You just happened to post about a pet peeve of mine.  I didn't know that states pre-test for the pick-3.   Maybe FL does too, but I usually play the pick-5 and Lotto here.  Still, daily just doesn't seem right to me.  What can go wrong overnight unless they are concerned someone is tampering with the balls.  Well, it's too late to delete my post. 

Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4054 Posts
              Posted: December 31, 2007, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Oh no, your post was on point, we have a 5 game.  They could have been only talking about the 5 game  that they pre-test.  You raised a valid concern, because I hate it when Illinois have the green ball. 

I'm clueless of how pre-tests are done and all that jazz.    When I contact them I will ask about pick 3 and how many pre-test drawings = a test and if we can have privy to the pre-test numbers.

Anybody else have any questions they would like for me to ask - (pre-test) drop it here because I really don't know the right questions to ask.   NC drawings looks so wierd to me and they have too many repeats.

takeemtothebank

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8392 Posts
                Posted: December 31, 2007, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

It is logical to assume that all drawings regardless of type rng or balls use pre test draws. This is a security measure and is done in all US state lottery's.

They don just grab a set of balls and dump them in a machine without a whole series of measurements and tests. It can take up to 4 hrs to prepare everything for one or two drawings. Midday and evening.

United States
                  Member #3222
                  January 4, 2004
                  80 Posts
                  Posted: December 31, 2007, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

Texas does a pretest and publishes their results. I would imagine all or most of the states that have lotteries do:

Texas Pre-Test Results

Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4054 Posts
                    Posted: December 31, 2007, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Texas does a pretest and publishes their results. I would imagine all or most of the states that have lotteries do:

Texas Pre-Test Results

EekWow! they do 4 tests.

takeemtothebank

wpb's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                      Charlotte North Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #464
                      July 9, 2002
                      17394 Posts
                      Posted: December 31, 2007, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Texas Pre-Test Results

do you know if any of the pre-test number are drawn in the real draw?

wpb

JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        North Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #53121
                        June 24, 2007
                        6519 Posts
                        Posted: December 31, 2007, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

i wouldn't want to know what the pre-test numbers were. i would feel sick to the stomach if one of the pre-test numbers was my number for the night..

United States
                          Member #3222
                          January 4, 2004
                          80 Posts
                          Posted: December 31, 2007, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

do you know if any of the pre-test number are drawn in the real draw?

You could probably make a comparison between the pre-test numbers drawn and the official one but I think after reading the way Texas does it it's so that patterns don't develop with the same number coming in. On their site they claim to change the ball if it hits five times in a row from the same set.

United States
                            Member #3222
                            January 4, 2004
                            80 Posts
                            Posted: December 31, 2007, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

EekWow! they do 4 tests.

Texas is pretty upfront about what they're doing. I read somewhere that NY does two pretests but haven't been able to find any information from their site on it.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                              ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                              United States
                              Member #4924
                              June 3, 2004
                              5962 Posts
                              Posted: December 31, 2007, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Oh no, your post was on point, we have a 5 game.  They could have been only talking about the 5 game  that they pre-test.  You raised a valid concern, because I hate it when Illinois have the green ball. 

I'm clueless of how pre-tests are done and all that jazz.    When I contact them I will ask about pick 3 and how many pre-test drawings = a test and if we can have privy to the pre-test numbers.

Anybody else have any questions they would like for me to ask - (pre-test) drop it here because I really don't know the right questions to ask.   NC drawings looks so wierd to me and they have too many repeats.

Janet, just my opinion, but if they publish the pre-tests, then they are up front. Do you trust a state that hides the data? If the state publishes the pre-test data you have the ability to use those pre-test draws in your analysis, and I would do that. Florida does pre-tests and doesn't publish the data. They never did pre-test before they changed the lottery contractor. He showed them an easy way to increase the profits. The Fla lottery told me they didn't use the payout as a factor. My response was, what's the purpose of the pre-test, you never did them before? They never answered me back.