Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Quick Picks with Your Own Numbers

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 9 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: January 17, 2008, 2:31 am - IP Logged

I know this has been discussed before (what hasn't) but do you find this happens?

Tonight I added a QP (although I said I would stop doing that) to my Lotto numbers.  Instead of saying "QP please" I just checked a panel on one card to add the QP.  I think this helps to eliminate getting "mistakes" like a QP for the wrong game or amount, but probably should be on a separate card. 

The personal number selected starts out 13-20-27-37 and the QP starts 20-27-37.  I know that any combination can win, but I don't like getting QPs that begin with 20-27. (too high)   This isn't the first time this has happened when I play a number and then add a QP, but it seems to happen a lot more often when I add a QP to numbers I select or get more than 1 QP on a ticket.  That's why I like getting separate tickets.

So do you think this is just a coincidence or do you think the terminal is somehow "influenced?" 

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: January 17, 2008, 11:40 am - IP Logged

I do think the terminal is influenced. That has happened to me also when I have bought my own numbers and checked the QP box. There will be a lot of my own numbers mixed in the QP's.

But don't be afraid if you're QP starts with high numbers. The higher numbers don't get played as often since people are using birthday's and such and if you should win on a "high" number ticket you will probably have to share it with way less people, if at all. Smiley

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8360 Posts
      Posted: January 17, 2008, 11:44 am - IP Logged

You know i have often wondered the same thing. Which is one reason i ask for my quick pick first. Many times when i have given the clerk my play slips and then asked for a qpick i got some of the same numbers i played on my play slips on my quick picks. So i did a little checking like i waited for one of my friends to buy a quip pick or get their personal numbers pick and then asked if i could see their qpick and they too had the same like numbers as they played on their quick picks. Coincidence i think so.

When you get a quick pick you get what you get because thats what the terminal spits out. Buy 25 dollars worth of qpicks or more and check your tickets many of them will have the same like numbers because the terminal randomly selects those numbers. The terminal doesn't scan the numbers ahead of time it just creates the picks.

Do i think the terminal does this on purpose... possibly.... possibly not the rng couldn't care less what numbers were generated it just does it's thing.

What bothers me more is one day if for some reason the terminals have a melt down and generate the same numbers on thousands of tickets and those numbers win a jackpot and thousands of people go to claim there pot and find out that there only going to get like $5.00 because the pot had to be divided up between so many people.

Can something like this ever happen who knows.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: January 17, 2008, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

I'm with four4me on this:

"Which is one reason I ask for my quick pick first."

Try taking a shot with two or three dollars and play one slip with your numbers and then a QP, and then try four4me's suggrestion, and mark another slip QP, and then your numbers.

It doesn't always happen like this, but I definitley think most of the time when you give it your numberds and then QP, you are actually "programming" the QP.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: January 17, 2008, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I've noticed that also. I do think the terminal is influenced by numbers that we pick before hand. On a set of Hot Lotto tickets I bought one day, I decided to get some quick picks as well and I ended up getting three of the numbers I choose in consective order like  this 16, 17, 18. I know it can be drawn like any other numbers, but I thought it was weird that I had chosen those numbers on different lines with my picks, then the quick picks choose those numbers for one line. 

By the way, I hate getting three consective numbers in a row. Angry

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: January 17, 2008, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

Maybe certain numbers or runs of numbers are "triggers" and the terminals are programmed to look for them.

Let's face it, the technology to do so exists, the only question is whether it's being used or not.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: January 18, 2008, 1:51 am - IP Logged

The stories about that sort of thing are common enough that I'm figuring the QP RNG may designed to work with a subset of the numbers in the game.  If you only get QP's the RNG might first choose 10 to 15 numbers and then wheel all plays using that set of numbers. Similarly, when playing a QP on a slip with your own numbers the RNG could select some of oyur numbers and some that you didn't play and then generate random combination using those numbers. I'm not saying that does happen, only that it seems plausible based on the stories about the QP's people see. I also suspect that people would be more likely to remember the QP's that simply happen to have similar numbers, and think it happens more often than it does.

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: January 18, 2008, 4:24 am - IP Logged

I agree with KY Floyd that we remember things like this, so we might notice it more often, but this is what happens to me when I play a QP on the same card as numbers I select.  Is it every time?  I can't say it is, but we would never know if the player in front of us used numbers and then we got a QP based on his selection. 

Coin Toss, I've done that - asked for the QP first and you're right, it won't happen. That might be a coincidence. The reason I didn't do that is because it's "season" in FL and the clerks & cashiers look very stressed out from the crowds. I didn't want to make things complicated.  I suppose I could have asked for the QP and then handed her my card.

Scary, there have been winning combinations with 3 consecutive numbers, at least in FL.  However, I understand your frustration, the same as when I get all high numbers. That's why my answer to Lottolaughs is that I disagree with her theory, not 100%, but here's why.

LottoLaughs, if you look at Fantasy 5 history, for the past 5 years, I think there were only a few draws where the lowest number was 20.  There are only 36 numbers, so having all 5 be from 20 to 36 is very unlikely.  Fantasy 5 is every day of the week, so last year there were 365 draws. I just glanced at all of the 2007 numbers and I can only see 2 times where that happened.  Same in 2006.  So we are talking about out of 365 draws a year, getting a 5 number combination starting with number 20 or over is extremely uncommon.  Sure, anything can happen. But getting a QP with all numbers in the 20s and 30s in a 1-36 game on the very day you get that QP...I'll have to say it probably ain't gonna happen. Maybe you are thinking of a 6 number game where there are over 50 numbers which is different.   

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: January 18, 2008, 4:31 am - IP Logged

I know this has been discussed before (what hasn't) but do you find this happens?

Tonight I added a QP (although I said I would stop doing that) to my Lotto numbers.  Instead of saying "QP please" I just checked a panel on one card to add the QP.  I think this helps to eliminate getting "mistakes" like a QP for the wrong game or amount, but probably should be on a separate card. 

The personal number selected starts out 13-20-27-37 and the QP starts 20-27-37.  I know that any combination can win, but I don't like getting QPs that begin with 20-27. (too high)   This isn't the first time this has happened when I play a number and then add a QP, but it seems to happen a lot more often when I add a QP to numbers I select or get more than 1 QP on a ticket.  That's why I like getting separate tickets.

So do you think this is just a coincidence or do you think the terminal is somehow "influenced?" 

I thinks it's a coincidinks.

btw....You should like the high numbers. In fantasy 5, statistics show that 30-36 are common folk. They like to rear their heads quite often.

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: January 18, 2008, 4:37 am - IP Logged

Yes, Pac.  But you are reading the whole thing?  I guess if you mean getting 2 or 3 numbers, I will agree.  However, look at my first comment again.  I said that the QP I got had all high numbers over 20.  Then look at the Fant 5 history for the past 5 years.  How can you possibly say "quite often?" 

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: January 18, 2008, 4:45 am - IP Logged

Yes, Pac.  But you are reading the whole thing?  I guess if you mean getting 2 or 3 numbers, I will agree.  However, look at my first comment again.  I said that the QP I got had all high numbers over 20.  Then look at the Fant 5 history for the past 5 years.  How can you possibly say "quite often?" 

You said the first number being over 20...right?

I'm just talking about the highest numbers most often in general, not the highest first number. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you were making the two seperate events of a QP purchase, and your own numbas correlate somehow. Like you were saying...same 3 numbers on both. I'm guessing that was the strange part...did I atleast get that part right?...lol

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: January 18, 2008, 4:52 am - IP Logged

Okay - but that wasn't my complaint!   I said I got a QP with EVERY number 20 or over.  Sure, if I had gotten a few numbers in the 30s, that would be different.

Just in case - yes, KY Floyd, I know it's random and each combination has an equal chance of winning.

Pac, did you see my post where I got 4/5 on Mon?  Had I continued to play the same 5 numbers that I call "my regular numbers" I would have won every single day this week.  (at least a Free Ticket)  (But I didn't)  My birthday is 19 and that's been repeating a lot (at least 3 out of 4 draws this week)  So has the number 7.    2 very low combos hit this week also with the highest number being 19.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: January 18, 2008, 5:10 am - IP Logged

Okay - but that wasn't my complaint!   I said I got a QP with EVERY number 20 or over.  Sure, if I had gotten a few numbers in the 30s, that would be different.

Just in case - yes, KY Floyd, I know it's random and each combination has an equal chance of winning.

Pac, did you see my post where I got 4/5 on Mon?  Had I continued to play the same 5 numbers that I call "my regular numbers" I would have won every single day this week.  (at least a Free Ticket)  (But I didn't)  My birthday is 19 and that's been repeating a lot (at least 3 out of 4 draws this week)  So has the number 7.    2 very low combos hit this week also with the highest number being 19.

OK..I missed your point.

I have to admit, with all my brainy attempts, I can honestly say I've won more from either a real strong hunch, to literal visions like 400 a couple of years ago in Florida, Illinois, and other methods aside from my own.

Find the balance and learn from the relationship between QPs and your own.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                            Nova Scotia
                            Canada
                            Member #9934
                            December 27, 2004
                            884 Posts
                            Posted: January 18, 2008, 7:29 am - IP Logged

I play my own numbers as well as the insta picks, I think that if I don't win on one combination I may win on the other.

I don't want to miss a chance to win a jackpot.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                              Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5583 Posts
                              Posted: January 18, 2008, 10:05 am - IP Logged

We went thru this last August and the answer is IMHO yes.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/160905

Here is a post from that thread:

Ok here you go I haven't checked results but tonight I spent a little more time to examine what the machine gave versus the picks I made with 15 lines from a wheel.

dc6081807

I did a line to line check of my numbers versus the QP's generated, there were only 2 lines that had no numbers duplicated by the DCQPicker, there were 5 lines that had 1 number duplicated,there were 3 lines that had 2 numbers duped., and there is one line that had 4 numbers duplicated by the Qpicker!.

The last ticket I did, 2 mine 2 QP and 3 mine 3 QP, on the 2 mine it gave back on two lines two numbers, and on the three mine it put the first three numbers of the third my line into the following 3 Qp's.

The real interesting one is the 2nd. ticket tonight, every line on that ticket had 1 and 2 numbers from my lines and on the fifth it matched 4. I know it is hard to read the 2nd. ticket but I chose:

05-14-15-19-29-30

it gave:

05-14-19-24-29-31. almost a 5 match!

I can't argue with myself anymore because I have always believed the QP's somehow are related to what is being played at that moment at that terminal, sometimes more so than others, but there you have it, some real evidence that it is not totally random and unrelated.

It may be some sort of timer the programmers have thrown into the code and in computers, 1 millisecond is an eternity.  It is as if, as numbers are being purchased it (the seed code) goes valid to seed the QPs somehow and if that period expires it won't seed. This may be an explanation to what JX was alluding to earlier that if you walk in behind someone how it knows the diff. anyway I've reinforced my belief this happens, I may try it on a ball draw game like bonusmatch 5 for grins with the same numbers two nights or three in a row and see if there is any similarity with the QPs it gives back, playing the same lines several nights in a row.