Welcome Guest
You last visited October 24, 2017, 7:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$1 QP vs $2 Your numbers and a QP

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10537 Posts
Posted: August 14, 2007, 9:33 am - IP Logged

This happened to me yesterday on a 5/ 39 ticket, but it seems to do this on Pick 6 and MM too, so I'll put this here instrad of the Pick 5 forum.

I played a $2 ticket, the first line was numbers I had pocekd, the second was a QP.

It came out like this:

A. 06 09 22 23 25

B. 06 08 19 24 26

So considering the two, first digit, the same, then ( A to B) -1,  -3, +1, +1.

So I'm wondering if you fill out a p[layslip with your numbers first, then a QP, if you aren'y maybe "programming" the QP. I knoiw, coincidence, coincidence, but like I said this seems to be too constant to be coinsidence.

Oh yeah- so combining the two lines, I had:

06 08 19 22 23 24 25 26...

What hits?

3 12 13 27 28

Bang Head

Not only cards and dice have eyes, but lotto balls too! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: August 14, 2007, 9:43 am - IP Logged

If you have a Pick 6 game where you get 2 lines for a buck, it would be interesting to see if the same thing happens.  I may try it here if I can remember.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: August 14, 2007, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I usually play $1 with my own numbers regardless if it's MM or CA SLP.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2007, 10:43 am - IP Logged

I usually only devoutly play only my numbers and not QP's for a reason, and this morning my reason was further solidified.

Well, once in a great while I buy a QP, I bought one this AM, and I got 30-31-37-39-47, or something like that.  OUCH.

The chances of an 0/5 split are not good, and the chances of 4 in a group are slimmer yet. 

Split - 55 white balls split into two groups - 1-27, and 28-55. Usually the split is 2/3 or 3/2 about 68% of the time, with 4/1 or 1/4 making up about 28%, leaving 4% for an 0/5 or 5/0.   And then figure in the 4 numbers from 1 group, I'm scrooed on that ticket.

A 5/39 is a different split - 1-19 and 20-39, so your numbers are OK. 

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3625 Posts
          Posted: August 16, 2007, 2:01 am - IP Logged

I usually only devoutly play only my numbers and not QP's for a reason, and this morning my reason was further solidified.

Well, once in a great while I buy a QP, I bought one this AM, and I got 30-31-37-39-47, or something like that.  OUCH.

The chances of an 0/5 split are not good, and the chances of 4 in a group are slimmer yet. 

Split - 55 white balls split into two groups - 1-27, and 28-55. Usually the split is 2/3 or 3/2 about 68% of the time, with 4/1 or 1/4 making up about 28%, leaving 4% for an 0/5 or 5/0.   And then figure in the 4 numbers from 1 group, I'm scrooed on that ticket.

A 5/39 is a different split - 1-19 and 20-39, so your numbers are OK. 

4% for the 0/5 and 5/0 combinations? Do you really expect us to believe that 4% of the winning combinations actually come from 4% of the possible combination? That's like expecting us to believe the results follow the laws of probability.

If the chances that your ticket with all odd numbers will win is slim, what are the chances that any other ticket with only 1 out of 145 million combinations will win? I'm guessing it's pretty close to 1 in 145 million.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5681 Posts
            Posted: August 16, 2007, 10:12 am - IP Logged

This subject has been discussed before, and it is a tough one to come to a conclusion of any useful meaning.

But I have to say the scenario of buying your picks then the QP's seems to result in interesting number sequences, maybe peculiar is a better word. Everytime I do a couple of QP's after my numbers the QP  ALWAYS looks like a mutated version of what I just played.

There are knowledgable people here that will say "Of course you'll have some of your numbers blah, blah, blah.. you know the odds are blah, blah, blah"

But the human mind sees what it wants to see, and it that is what happens.  I think IMHO there is a definite correlation when that mutation happens.

I call for an experiment, today I will play DC Daily 6 each game on a separate slip followed by a QP for 10 sets $20.  This will give 2 of my lines plus 2 QPs per ticket 10 times, I will post what it coughed up and we'll discuss further, let me know if you have any problems with that.

To further the randomness I will use the Lottery Post RNG for my 20 lines.

Dupe Alert

DC6qp's

United States
              Member #16612
              June 2, 2005
              3493 Posts
              Posted: August 16, 2007, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

That's a great random number generator.

Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5681 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2007, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

This subject has been discussed before, and it is a tough one to come to a conclusion of any useful meaning.

But I have to say the scenario of buying your picks then the QP's seems to result in interesting number sequences, maybe peculiar is a better word. Everytime I do a couple of QP's after my numbers the QP  ALWAYS looks like a mutated version of what I just played.

There are knowledgable people here that will say "Of course you'll have some of your numbers blah, blah, blah.. you know the odds are blah, blah, blah"

But the human mind sees what it wants to see, and it that is what happens.  I think IMHO there is a definite correlation when that mutation happens.

I call for an experiment, today I will play DC Daily 6 each game on a separate slip followed by a QP for 10 sets $20.  This will give 2 of my lines plus 2 QPs per ticket 10 times, I will post what it coughed up and we'll discuss further, let me know if you have any problems with that.

To further the randomness I will use the Lottery Post RNG for my 20 lines.

Dupe Alert

DC6qp's

OK. Here they are, it is easier to scan than type.  Tommorrow I am going to do every other line instead of every 2 lines.

dc6081607

Can we discern anything from this? I believe tickets 1,5,6,9,10 are worth some discussion, what do think?

Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5681 Posts
                  Posted: August 16, 2007, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

OK. Here they are, it is easier to scan than type.  Tommorrow I am going to do every other line instead of every 2 lines.

dc6081607

Can we discern anything from this? I believe tickets 1,5,6,9,10 are worth some discussion, what do think?

OK The results were 2-11-16-27-30-31 BB 04

The score:    LPRNG      12 hits, no money.

DCLottery QP's 27 hits, $5 winner ticket #8! Net loss $15.00. Better luck tommorrow night.

DC's Quickie Pick did better! We'll try again tommorrow with all things the same but every other line LP RNG then DC QP.

Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5681 Posts
                    Posted: August 17, 2007, 8:12 am - IP Logged

Here is todays Lottery Post RNG 20 lines, I will fill out the slips every other line instead of every two and we'll see what comes forth.

Quick Picks Random Number Generator (RNG)Quick Picks Random Number Generator (RNG)

Your 20 6/39 tickets:

02 · 05 · 15 · 21 · 23 · 29
                    06 · 11 · 15 · 16 · 25 · 28
                    03 · 06 · 12 · 19 · 26 · 27
                    05 · 12 · 24 · 25 · 37 · 39
                    03 · 05 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29
                    03 · 08 · 09 · 18 · 24 · 27
                    02 · 07 · 13 · 20 · 23 · 33
                    11 · 15 · 16 · 24 · 36 · 37
                    02 · 19 · 26 · 31 · 33 · 37
                    01 · 02 · 14 · 24 · 26 · 37
                    04 · 12 · 22 · 23 · 29 · 39
                    02 · 14 · 26 · 34 · 36 · 39
                    01 · 03 · 08 · 29 · 36 · 39
                    10 · 21 · 22 · 26 · 33 · 39
                    04 · 08 · 25 · 29 · 30 · 34
                    05 · 13 · 18 · 22 · 25 · 26
                    05 · 07 · 14 · 30 · 38 · 39
                    01 · 15 · 17 · 18 · 21 · 37
                    03 · 04 · 09 · 15 · 19 · 35
                    08 · 14 · 22 · 27 · 30 · 38
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This page was generated in 0.0469 seconds.
                    Copyright © 1999-2007 LotteryPost.com.  All rights reserved.

I think LP RNG will do better with this set.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23962 Posts
                      Posted: August 17, 2007, 8:45 am - IP Logged

I have developed a new random number generator that produces cryptographically strong random numbers, as opposed to the pseudo-random numbers generated currently.

The random number generator (RNG) Lottery Post currently uses is the same basic kind of RNG that programmers all over the world use.  Inside the RNG, it starts with a seed number -- which is constantly changed -- and then derives a very long sequence of numbers, based upon calculations off of the seed number.  When a new random number is requested by the program (Quick Picks generator), the RNG just chooses the next number(s) in the sequence.

There are 2^32 (2 to the 32nd power) different numbers in each sequence, which makes it a pretty good random number, but it is still plainly a number in a sequence, rather than a true random number, in which every bit in each number has an equal chance of being 1 or 0.

With the new RNG I have adapted, it uses a cryptographic library that is part of the large ASP.NET library.  It does not use the finite series of number sequences that the regular RNG uses, so it is much closer to "true random".  It is not something generally used because internally it is much slower and CPU-intensive than the standard RNG.  But Lottery Post uses a server with some decent number-crunching abilities, so I'm not too concerned about that.

At this point I don't have a new Quick Picks generator built, but the actual RNG itself -- which just generates random numbers -- is finished.

I was thinking of making both the old method and new method available on the screen, for people to decide which RNG they'd like to use.  Is this necessary?  What you you all think about the need to keep the old one?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5681 Posts
                        Posted: August 17, 2007, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Thank you for this information.  Options are always nice, but if this new RNG is closer to "true random" , then I would say it is unnecessary to keep the old one. 

I must add though the current RNG has produced some winning sets for me in the past when time was short to produce my own numbers! Thanks! 

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23962 Posts
                          Posted: August 17, 2007, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Thank you for this information.  Options are always nice, but if this new RNG is closer to "true random" , then I would say it is unnecessary to keep the old one. 

I must add though the current RNG has produced some winning sets for me in the past when time was short to produce my own numbers! Thanks! 

Your last paragraph is why I would consider keeping the old one available.  I'm am sure you are not the only one to win using LP's Quick Picks.  Some people may want to keep using it for that reason.

Thanks for the feedback!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            20144 Posts
                            Posted: August 17, 2007, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

Since the internal workings of the RNG are invisible to the users, do they matter as long a the results are the most random they can be?  Players generally chose a RNG to pick their combinations to avoid making any decisions.  Would there be any way to decide which RNG is more random without knowing how they work?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking       

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23962 Posts
                              Posted: August 17, 2007, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Since the internal workings of the RNG are invisible to the users, do they matter as long a the results are the most random they can be?  Players generally chose a RNG to pick their combinations to avoid making any decisions.  Would there be any way to decide which RNG is more random without knowing how they work?

That's a good question.

I personally believe the RNG used widely in programming -- the one with "sequences" of random numbers -- is not very good, because I believe it leads to overarching patterns.

However, what makes it a comparitively poor RNG may make it good for lotteries that use a similar RNG in their drawings.  Perhaps the patterns in the numbers may match up with patterns in the actual draw.  It's a stretch, but it's based on mathematical realities.

On the other hand, those who truly want random numbers, because it mimics the true randomness of real ball drawings, may find better utility from a cryptographically-sophisticated RNG.