Welcome Guest
You last visited August 22, 2017, 8:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When you win a small prize

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 years ago by lottocalgal.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7546 Posts
Posted: February 10, 2008, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

only time we refuse cashout on those are when we've just changed shifts and up to two hours after the shift change. We just dont have enough cash during those times.

The topic is small prizes; $100 and under.

It's really pretty simple, if you don't have the money than don't sell the tickets. Shift changes are just poor excuses for bad business practices. When stores agree to sell lottery tickets, they know some of the tickets will be winners and should make provisions.

It would be different if somebody was trying to cash four or five $500 pick-3 straight winners, but there is no excuse for not cashing small prizes.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2008, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

There was time once where a man had pick 3 strs totalling over $26K.  The owner ran the tickets, then went str to the bank.  The money was there..

It is neat how the money is transferred as soon as the ticket is scanned.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
      Member #26882
      November 23, 2005
      1404 Posts
      Posted: February 10, 2008, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

"Has a clerk ever told you that the store doesn't pay for tickets and you should buy more with your win?"

And many other comments I've ignored. 

That's probably because they have regular scratch-off players that never cash in and it's unthinkable that someone playing online games knows when to quit no matter how small the amount is. Or maybe it's the clerk giving their unsolicited opinion on what they would do with their winnings. Either way, the best thing to do is put your hand out so they know you're expecting change and hopefully no more editorial comments. 

I've tried to cash $80 winners and the clerk had the deer caught in the headlights look. Most of these stores just sell tickets and if we try to cash a $500 winning ticket we bought there, the clerk will looked shocked and mumble something about waiting until the manager is in.

We don't have Publix but plenty of other groceries stores that will cash $500 winners and like you, I'm willing do drive a few miles to avoid the hassle.

I have tried to cash in bigger winning pick 3 tickets (250.00) at the little stores I purchased the tickets from and I get the same look! They act like you are robbing them dry of money. I got so upset once when the clerk said we don't have enough to pay that amount. So I said to Him then take down your Lottery sign on the front of your store that says Pennsylvania Lottery: Play here we pay here! I said because you Never Have enough to PAY HERE!

He said: Well those signs come from the lottery and I said yes so? Ask the lottery for one that says: You can play here but we can't always PAY HERE! Or put a sign under it that says that this store can only pay out 100 dollar winners or less, otherwise you are misleading customers that purchase lottery here and that is false advertisement! Needless to say, all I got was a dirty look back from the clerk!

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3611 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2008, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

The topic is small prizes; $100 and under.

It's really pretty simple, if you don't have the money than don't sell the tickets. Shift changes are just poor excuses for bad business practices. When stores agree to sell lottery tickets, they know some of the tickets will be winners and should make provisions.

It would be different if somebody was trying to cash four or five $500 pick-3 straight winners, but there is no excuse for not cashing small prizes.

The topic is just "small prizes." Since the  IRS limit for withholding taxes is $600 it's pretty reasonable to consider a $500 win a small prize.

Those prizes are still fairly uncommon, and any small store that always keeps $500 on hand and available to any clerk just because somebody might  show up with a winner needs better management. Small stores with good management  routinely put cash in a safe that's only accessible to a few people. Those stores have provisions for management to open the safe at time when those managers are working. It is pretty simple. If you can't get to the store to cash your ticket at a time that they can access the cash then don't buy the ticket in the first place, or make the trip to a bigger store.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
          ORLANDO, FLORIDA
          United States
          Member #4924
          June 3, 2004
          6113 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2008, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

I'm very lucky that we have a Lotto/Food Store, it's the best money maker in Central Fla for the Lottery. They will cash any amount of Cash 3 tickets you have to cash. I cashed $20,000, one time. The clerk told me, that was not the most he had cashed. Some guy cashed $50,000. I tried cashing a $500 ticket at the local 7-11, they wanted to give me a money order, so I never cash any tickets there.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            CA
            United States
            Member #57222
            December 23, 2007
            587 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2008, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I'm very lucky that we have a Lotto/Food Store, it's the best money maker in Central Fla for the Lottery. They will cash any amount of Cash 3 tickets you have to cash. I cashed $20,000, one time. The clerk told me, that was not the most he had cashed. Some guy cashed $50,000. I tried cashing a $500 ticket at the local 7-11, they wanted to give me a money order, so I never cash any tickets there.

Carbob and TnTea,

You mean to tell me that the stores where you are have that kind of cashout limits?  Here its $600 or you will have to go to the regional office. Or am I reading both your posts incorrectly?

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2008, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Carbob and TnTea,

You mean to tell me that the stores where you are have that kind of cashout limits?  Here its $600 or you will have to go to the regional office. Or am I reading both your posts incorrectly?

If you have separate tickets each under 600 bucks then they can cash them individually.

When I won 3,000 about 4 years ago, I had 6 tickets at 500 a pop. The cashier at the grocery store in a food store here in Florida called Publix was new and gave me a hard time saying that I had to go to the lottery office, but when I asked for the manager, she knew the deal and got me the cash.

The very first time when I won 500 when I first moved to florida, I went to a circle k covenient store and she gave me a money order. From that point on I only went to a large supermarket to cash my tix in.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2008, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Wow that is actually a lot to cash out at one time. I figure if I ever had to cash that many Pick 3 tickets, I would have to go to a bunch of different stores to get it done.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  923 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2008, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I stick to my informal budget that ensures that I have a play in every draw for Mega Millions and Powerball and an advance play for state lotteries over $10 million (like Indiana and Michigan are now; when I get the chance to visit Florida, California, and Texas I will usually purchase the max advance play just because those state lottery jackpots increase at a much faster pace than do Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan...like $3 - 7 million rollover increases versus 100 thousand to 1 million rollover increases).

If Mega Millions or Powerball happen to be HUGE, I might allow a bit of irrational exuberance to overcome me and put a few dollars of a small win toward the purchase of tickets for that draw.  Otherwise, I take the cash and play it for another day.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7546 Posts
                    Posted: February 12, 2008, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

The topic is just "small prizes." Since the  IRS limit for withholding taxes is $600 it's pretty reasonable to consider a $500 win a small prize.

Those prizes are still fairly uncommon, and any small store that always keeps $500 on hand and available to any clerk just because somebody might  show up with a winner needs better management. Small stores with good management  routinely put cash in a safe that's only accessible to a few people. Those stores have provisions for management to open the safe at time when those managers are working. It is pretty simple. If you can't get to the store to cash your ticket at a time that they can access the cash then don't buy the ticket in the first place, or make the trip to a bigger store.

New York Lottery:  You can collect a prize of up to and including $600 from any of the thousands of New York Lottery retailers.

Tennessee Lottery:  Prizes of less than $600 can be claimed through any of the Lottery's participating retailers

Michigan Lottery:  Cash prizes worth up to $600 may be claimed at any Michigan Lottery retailer.  There are nearlly 11,000 licensed Lottery retailers throughout the state, in every county.

Ohio Lottery:  If you win up to $599, proceed to any retailer location for immediate payment of your prize.

Texas Lottery:  Any Texas Lottery retailer.

Florida Lottey:  Prizes under $600 do not require completion of a Florida Lottery Winner Claim Form unless the player is specifically directed by either a Florida Lottery Retailer or the Florida Lottery to file a claim. These prizes can be redeemed by an authorized Florida Lottery retailer.

"If you can't get to the store to cash your ticket at a time that they can access the cash then don't buy the ticket in the first place, or make the trip to a bigger store."

I saw a sign in a store where I bought gas that said they could only cash up to $100 in lottery tickets. A week later when I asked the clerk why the sign was gone, it was because the lottery commission told them if they can't cash tickets, they couldn't sell them.

Those of us that know from experience go to the stores that will cash tickets but there are no signs in stores directing novice players to the larger stores. If people read the same information from these state web sites, the only logical conclusion is the store selling a winner under $600 will cash it.

"It is pretty simple."

Yep, if they can't cash a ticket, don't sell them.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7546 Posts
                      Posted: February 12, 2008, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Carbob and TnTea,

If you bet $20 on a straight combination the payoff is $10,000 and by getting 20 $1 tickets, you can cash them without a form. From the lottery's perception, it's the same as if the store cashed 20 $500 winners to 20 different people.

The Ohio play slips allows us to play a ticket up to ten times so if I ask the clerk to play it twice, I'll have 20 individual tickets. I don't know of a store that would cash all 20 tickets but going to 20 different stores would still get me the 10 grand.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: February 12, 2008, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

If you bet $20 on a straight combination the payoff is $10,000 and by getting 20 $1 tickets, you can cash them without a form. From the lottery's perception, it's the same as if the store cashed 20 $500 winners to 20 different people.

The Ohio play slips allows us to play a ticket up to ten times so if I ask the clerk to play it twice, I'll have 20 individual tickets. I don't know of a store that would cash all 20 tickets but going to 20 different stores would still get me the 10 grand.

You're right, Stack.  I once asked the clerk at Publix if I won on several tickets could I cash them and she said they are each treated as separate bets, even on the same ticket.  So you could win on 3 separate lines and get paid too, unless I misunderstood her.  Still, I use separate cards.  I don't play pick-3 or pick-4 however, so I'm not sure it matters since I would never bet the same Lotto or Fantasy 5 number twice.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7546 Posts
                          Posted: February 12, 2008, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

You're right, Stack.  I once asked the clerk at Publix if I won on several tickets could I cash them and she said they are each treated as separate bets, even on the same ticket.  So you could win on 3 separate lines and get paid too, unless I misunderstood her.  Still, I use separate cards.  I don't play pick-3 or pick-4 however, so I'm not sure it matters since I would never bet the same Lotto or Fantasy 5 number twice.

I was told that I could play the same 10 straight combinations on one ticket and get paid as if they were 10 separate bets, but to be safe, I get 10 tickets. I've paid for the extra paper many times over.

Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11350 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2008, 2:52 am - IP Logged

when i hit a pick 3 straight with ten tickets for a total 5,000 dollar win i spent a whole day going all over the place cashing one here,two there,one here and it was dead in the middle of summer with my girlfriend pregnant and us burning up in a black sports car with no air.i'd go one place and she's go another two doors down until we had em all done.of course being paid mostly in twenties and i had a huge wad.that win helped me stay home taking care of her until my first daughter was born that november.i'll always be grateful and love the lottery because of that.had i not hit i would've been back at work way soon.i've kept all my winners and always enjoy looking back at what i accomplished with it.i plan on starting back up again after a real long break.hey if you hit on those small prizes don't sink it back in the lottery.i usually take those small ones and go buy food or go out to eat or something because if you sink it back in chances are you won't win the second go round.have fun......

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: February 13, 2008, 3:04 am - IP Logged

I was told that I could play the same 10 straight combinations on one ticket and get paid as if they were 10 separate bets, but to be safe, I get 10 tickets. I've paid for the extra paper many times over.

Yes, so have I.  In fact, I've even taken one or two of the little green pencils. (I was told it was okay by the store.)  They always have hundreds of them and nobody cares.  I figure that each little pencil costs me about $800.

I used to use a pen and a member here jokingly told me to always use the lucky green pencil, so I got into the habit and keep one in my pocketbook.  Smiley