Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When you win a small prize

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 years ago by lottocalgal.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2008, 3:13 am - IP Logged

You're right, Stack.  I once asked the clerk at Publix if I won on several tickets could I cash them and she said they are each treated as separate bets, even on the same ticket.  So you could win on 3 separate lines and get paid too, unless I misunderstood her.  Still, I use separate cards.  I don't play pick-3 or pick-4 however, so I'm not sure it matters since I would never bet the same Lotto or Fantasy 5 number twice.

It varies from state to state. Here in Florida, the p-3 and p-4 are printed out on separate tix. In N.Y. If you buy 5 p-3 tix, they're printed on one ticket and only cashable at an office. That's why I always asked for separate tix when I lived in N.Y.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
    Member #24380
    October 21, 2005
    623 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2008, 1:19 am - IP Logged

I stick to my budget!

Fayetteville, Arkansas
      United States
      Member #58962
      March 2, 2008
      29 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2008, 11:09 am - IP Logged

I live in a state with no lottery (at present). I drive to a neighboring state once every 7½ weeks, buy a 15-draw QP ticket for Powerball and the state's Lotto, for $30. I also pick up a few $2 scratchers -- between 3 and 5 -- for my wife. So, I spend between $36 and $40 every 7½ weeks. This amount does not change, unless the Powerball gets really, really big, in which case I may buy a few extra single-draw tickets (but probably not).

The last time I bought tickets, one of the $2 scratchers hit for $2. Also, my Powerball ticket -- which still has a few weeks left on it -- recently hit for $28. This $30 will pay for my next Powerball and Lotto ticket purchase, effectively saving me $30. I'll still spend a few bucks on scratchers.Smile

The balls have no memory.

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
        Member #33588
        February 22, 2006
        2068 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2008, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

It depend for instance , if i purchase scracth of 10 dollars (maximum) , if i win i spend it right back. The most I won of sractch of is 20 dollars. Pick 3 and 4 i stick to my budget.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5145 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2008, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

"MY" winning's are so small<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

the GUILL's can't even feel my BUDGET and most offer to pay for the FISH & CHIP'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ PSYKOMO

love's SEAFOOD

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JACKPOT$$$$$$ 

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            700 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2008, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

For me, I stick to what I usually buy which currently is 1 Lotto and 1 Easy 5 ticket and if it gets to $100 million, Powerball.  I occasionally buy scratch tickets, but only when there's a second chance drawing associated with them. 

For the lottery pool I run at work, I buy extra Powerball and Lotto tickets except for 2 weeks ago when the pool won $10 on Powerball.  Since the Louisiana Lottery is running the Millionaire Raffle game with a prize of $1 million and only 300,000 tickets being sold at $10/each, I took a vote of all the members to see whether they wanted more Powerball and Lottor or a Millionaire Raffle.  Everyone voted the Millionaire Raffle so I got one of those instead.  It'll be interesting to see what happens April 15.

The biggest prize I've ever won on an online or scratch off is $50.  I once tried to cash a $20 ticket at Circle K and the clerk couldn't do it until the lady in line behind me who was buying a carton of cigarettes paid her with a $20 bill.  Usually when I have a prize that is over say $5, I'll take it to a supermarket to cash since they usually have more cash on hand than a small convenience store.

There was a chain of convenience stores around the New Orleans area in the early 1990s that wouldn't cash winning tickets and they always gave an excuse such as they can't ring up No Sale, or can only cash if the drawer is open, etc.  The sold tickets, but would only give new tickets in exchange for winners.  I should have filed a complaint with the then new Louisiana Lottery Corporation, but I never did.  I just quit buying tickets and just about anything else at those stores.

Another option these days for cashing a huge ticket at a small store might be to buy prepaid credit cards.  Alot of convenience stores around here sell prepaid MasterCard and AMEX cards, along with gift cards to a variety of stores and restaurants.  That might be another option instead of money orders.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              CA
              United States
              Member #57222
              December 23, 2007
              587 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2008, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

For me, I stick to what I usually buy which currently is 1 Lotto and 1 Easy 5 ticket and if it gets to $100 million, Powerball.  I occasionally buy scratch tickets, but only when there's a second chance drawing associated with them. 

For the lottery pool I run at work, I buy extra Powerball and Lotto tickets except for 2 weeks ago when the pool won $10 on Powerball.  Since the Louisiana Lottery is running the Millionaire Raffle game with a prize of $1 million and only 300,000 tickets being sold at $10/each, I took a vote of all the members to see whether they wanted more Powerball and Lottor or a Millionaire Raffle.  Everyone voted the Millionaire Raffle so I got one of those instead.  It'll be interesting to see what happens April 15.

The biggest prize I've ever won on an online or scratch off is $50.  I once tried to cash a $20 ticket at Circle K and the clerk couldn't do it until the lady in line behind me who was buying a carton of cigarettes paid her with a $20 bill.  Usually when I have a prize that is over say $5, I'll take it to a supermarket to cash since they usually have more cash on hand than a small convenience store.

There was a chain of convenience stores around the New Orleans area in the early 1990s that wouldn't cash winning tickets and they always gave an excuse such as they can't ring up No Sale, or can only cash if the drawer is open, etc.  The sold tickets, but would only give new tickets in exchange for winners.  I should have filed a complaint with the then new Louisiana Lottery Corporation, but I never did.  I just quit buying tickets and just about anything else at those stores.

Another option these days for cashing a huge ticket at a small store might be to buy prepaid credit cards.  Alot of convenience stores around here sell prepaid MasterCard and AMEX cards, along with gift cards to a variety of stores and restaurants.  That might be another option instead of money orders.

Hey Prisonersix,

Your post reminds me of what happen when I won the $100 on a scratcher.  The clerk told me that he wouldn't have enough money. I immediately told him "oh no you won't need that much.  I am going to buy 10 of the $5 tickets anyway.  I only need $50 in cash."

But  now that I look back, I should have waited and taken the all of the money.  It didn't occur to me that  there was NOT going to be a big winner afterwards, since I had already won out of that batch. I should not have been surprised that out of the 10 tickets, 9 were losers with  one "free ticket" winner.