Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The economy's effect of lottery playing

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by MissNYC.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Does the economy have an effect on how much you spend on the lottery or how often you play?

No, not at all [ 12 ]  [46.15%]
Somewhat, I play less often [ 3 ]  [11.54%]
Somewhat, I spend less than I normally would [ 9 ]  [34.62%]
Yes, I am less likely to play [ 2 ]  [7.69%]
Total Valid Votes [ 26 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
MissNYC's avatar - diva
Westchester, New York
United States
Member #49345
January 27, 2007
168 Posts
Posted: January 23, 2008, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

With all the recent talk about a recession, a terrible housing market, a stock market that is in trouble, rising gas prices, etc.... I was just wondering how all of this effects lottery players? Would you wait until jackpots are bigger and spend the same, spend less but play as often, or would it have no effect on how much you spend or how often you play? I just imagine that the people who would really benefit from a lotto win are the ones that are most effected by the above factors and have less money to throw around. Thoughts?

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

JAP69's avatar - alas
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8790 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2008, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

I spend less and some days not play at all. The wins I do get do not go toward more plays but to balance the family deficit.

Play less amount of numbers and lose more often too as the hits are at the level I use to play.

Gotta have food ,  gas , rent and cigarettes first.

The economy is generally all messed up during a presidental election year any how.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2008, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I hate to admit this, but I began spending a little more.  (you don't have this choice)  I never spend very much anyway, and I'm fairly responsible, but I started to play Fantasy 5 more often.  I probably should skip a few days and just bet my $8 a week on Lotto.  If I had children to support it would be different, but I figure if I'm going to sink anyway, I might as well party on the ship while it's going down.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2008, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

At this moment, I am spending less. Any small wins that I get end up being put back into tickets. A couple of months ago, I was spending a lot more playing than usual, but I've had to cut back again.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
          Member #10720
          January 23, 2005
          933 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2008, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

The poll forgot to say "play more"! If you're worried about money I think the easiest way to solve it would be with a big win! I might play less if I have less $ but I will be more hopeful about winning and I will use more focused algorithms and choose number more carefully. Anytime I won big was with only one or two numbers or sets in play. Less is more. If you're low on money then even a box win can make a big difference so no, bigger jackpots wouldn't make much difference with me.

- The gas price is not rising right now.. it has been near 3 a gallon since last Spring.
          - The housing market is only terrible if you got one of those insane mortgages or if you're in the house-flipping business.
          - The recession if it exists is caused by people being afraid.. just go about your business and if everyone did that there won't
            be any recession. All I know is when we go to the Mall there is usually no place to even park so how are we supposed to get in
            there to help the economy?
          - The Lottery is a way of redistributing wealth.. millions of not-so-rich people contribute a very small amount to fund the creation of
            one or a few very rich people. Hopefully those rich people will go to the Mall (if they can park there) and support the economy... it
            makes little difference if 1 million people buy a $2 loaf of bread vs. 1 rich person buys several Hummers.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: January 23, 2008, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Of course it dosen't. Just because the housing market crash, oil prices out of the roof, eminent revolt, atrocities around the world, one world government, Alien contact cover-up, Over population, and artificial sweeteners are present means nothing!

I still spend the same on tix. Everything is just fine and dandy.   

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10353 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2008, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Actually, the worse the economy gets, the more people gamble (and drink and eat out)...as the money becomes worth less and less, (loss of buying power), people become much more loose with it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2008, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

Actually, the worse the economy gets, the more people gamble (and drink and eat out)...as the money becomes worth less and less, (loss of buying power), people become much more loose with it.

You are absolutely right. I remember when I had only 5 bucks to my name. I threw the biggest party of all time.

I just hate it when I have plenty of money in the bank. No parties. No Fun!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19830 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2008, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

There will always be a demand for beer,cigarettes and lottery tickets regardless of the condition of the economy.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: January 24, 2008, 12:03 am - IP Logged

There will always be a demand for beer,cigarettes and lottery tickets regardless of the condition of the economy.

You forgot pot.

Sad Cheers

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: January 24, 2008, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Crazy

United States
                        Member #56017
                        October 29, 2007
                        3 Posts
                        Posted: January 24, 2008, 1:11 am - IP Logged

I think it can go either way play more or play less.

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                          West Side of Sunny Florida
                          United States
                          Member #55048
                          September 8, 2007
                          3371 Posts
                          Posted: January 24, 2008, 5:32 am - IP Logged

Price of gas is cutting into the amount I play.  Slowed down on the 'jackpot' games and concentrating on 3 way

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7314 Posts
                            Posted: January 24, 2008, 6:35 am - IP Logged

When the economy is bad, people don't usually buy big price tag items so they can spend that money on gambling and eating out. A few years ago I worked in a charitable booth at the local county fair and a professional told when the economy was down, county and state fair attendance was way up.  

It makes sense the people would cancel their cross-country trips to Wally-World and spend their money closer to home.

benmas's avatar - waveform
                              Rhode Island
                              United States
                              Member #56010
                              October 28, 2007
                              434 Posts
                              Posted: January 24, 2008, 7:48 am - IP Logged

I beleive that people will gamble more TIMES but not neccessarily with more money...Taking shots with whatever little they got hoping they will fish something that can make them better...